Boarding Ladder Help

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

mmorasci

Boarding Ladder Help

Postby mmorasci » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:26 pm

I am nearing launch time for my boat build (see some pic's under Ultra Pierre) and am beginning to turn my attention to misc. fittings and accessories. One item I need help with is a boarding ladder. I am looking for a design that will attach easily (likely to the combing on either side at midships), very easy to deploy, and is easy to climb on into and out of both a dinghy and the water directly (if swimming). Oh and did I mention it must stow easily (there is not a lot of storage on the BooBooToo)? I am looking for pictures or design sketches and no idea is automatically "off the table" at this point. I can fabricate most anything for the ladder or mounting hardware but would like to find a design that is in fitting with the boats' character. I am concerned that if I end up in the "drink" I will not be able to get back aboard but at the same time don't wish to drag something through the water when ubnderway. Has anyone seen, or used a ladder that, maybe, "rolls up" so it could be parked on the side deck, but has the stability of a wooden ladder and will not "fall away" towards the hull when used (thinking of a simple rope ladder, I find these very hard to use, especially for boarding a dinghy)? For those not familiar, there is a great amount of side flare to a Dory (the pic's may not do proper justice) making several of the designs I'm familiar with difficult to implament.

This build experience has been great but I am nearing my capacity for thinking up yet another design detail and am hoping you all can provide a wealth of ideas.

Thank you all, I appreciate your help.

Regards,

Mike Morasci

raymacke

Re: Boarding Ladder Help

Postby raymacke » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:18 pm

I always loved the boarding ladder Kilburn Adams designed for his Skiff America. http://www.skiffamerica20.com/

Here are a couple of photos -

http://skiffamerica20.com/pictures/photo.php?file=/misc/111.jpg

Last edited by raymacke on Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So Many Rivers,
So Little Time....

mmorasci

Postby mmorasci » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:34 pm

raymacke,

First, Thanks for the response. I went to the Skiff America site but was unable to find any images of a ladder. The images you said are posted do not come through. I have tried viewing the images on several computers on a couple of different internet connections so I don't think the problem is at my end.

Is there another link you can send?

Regards,

Mike Morasci

raymacke

Postby raymacke » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:18 pm

I linked the photos to the Skiff America web sit but looks like the photo pages are down for some reason. Here is a link to copies of the same photos.

http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6391
So Many Rivers,
So Little Time....

mmorasci

Postby mmorasci » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:40 am

raymacke,

Thank you for posting the link.

I had not seen this design before, very simple, very cleaver. It looks like it would work best on a farily verticle surface, I wonder how well it would incorporate on a heavily undercut side wall of a dory.

Regards,

Mike Morasci

Return to “Miscellaneous”