Fiberglass Boat Repair and Modifications

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Wood Nut

Fiberglass Boat Repair and Modifications

Post by Wood Nut » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:06 pm

Hey All,

I have a new winter project on my fiberglass boat, a 1993 Kenner 16 ft. center console. The carpet in it has finally worn out and in need of replacement. Instead of putting in new carpet I would like to finish the inside with some sort of splattered/webbed type paint/gelcoat. Since I need to do this work I figure it is a good time to add a deck in the back of the boat for more storage and to raise the pedestal seat. So a have a few questions.

1. Would the originally resin used on the boat be polyester or epoxy?
2. If it is polyester would be OK to use Glen-L epoxy to add the back deck?
3. Want paint would you recommend to use over the polyester and/or epoxy resin?
4. What method to use to get the splattered look?

Thanks for any input and help.

Here are some sample pictures of what I am thinking about.
DSC01136.JPG
webbing.jpg
Charlie K.
Building a Flying Saucer

Bill CNC

Re: Fiberglass Boat Repair and Modifications

Post by Bill CNC » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:08 am

Wood Nut wrote:Hey All,

I have a new winter project on my fiberglass boat, a 1993 Kenner 16 ft. center console. The carpet in it has finally worn out and in need of replacement. Instead of putting in new carpet I would like to finish the inside with some sort of splattered/webbed type paint/gelcoat. Since I need to do this work I figure it is a good time to add a deck in the back of the boat for more storage and to raise the pedestal seat. So a have a few questions.

1. Would the originally resin used on the boat be polyester or epoxy?
2. If it is polyester would be OK to use Glen-L epoxy to add the back deck?
3. Want paint would you recommend to use over the polyester and/or epoxy resin?
4. What method to use to get the splattered look?

Thanks for any input and help.

Here are some sample pictures of what I am thinking about.
Wood Nut,

1). It's Polyester.
2). Epoxy can go over polyester, but polyester cannot go over epoxy. Epoxy would not be as strong as it would be if you used polyester when going over polyester. Stick with the same thing.
3). Use Gel-Coat or paint, ... but if it were me, ... I'd go with the Gel-Coat for durability.
4) Any number of ways, fling it with a paint brush, stick or a spatter gun. I have seen it done with an acoustic ceiling hopper gun.

Bill
Bill

TNT Build, ... On Going, ... http://tinyurl.com/abmae64

The Freebie Zip, ... On Going, ...http://tinyurl.com/at3udss

Super Spartan Build "Miss Tripindicular", ... Completed, ...http://tinyurl.com/b488wsz

Wood Nut

Post by Wood Nut » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:03 am

Thanks Bill,

Can the gel-coat be put down with roller and/or brush and can it be put down as non-skid since it will be in the interior of the boat?
Charlie K.
Building a Flying Saucer

Caber-Feidh

Post by Caber-Feidh » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:42 pm

If you order "gel coat" from a resin vendor and glop it all over your boat you will be hating life.

Gel coat does not cure in exposure to air, it has no wax. I have seen more than one person jack up a boat with some gel coat hosed all over it. There are "repair" gel coats that will cure in contact with air, but they are not anywhere near the OEM gel coat finish quality. Most of the kits are just dyed waxed resin.

For the webbing effect, use a webbing additive to the gel coat, it does contain wax, and a thickener to make the resin stick without sagging. The gun to spray it will run in the 250.$ range.
Some plan to stroll through Saint Peter's Gates, I plan to go through them at 150mph... backwards... in a screaming ball of flame, with a glimmer belt wrapped around my head, and a NOx button in my hand.

Bill CNC

Post by Bill CNC » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:54 am

Caber-Feidh,

You are correct that Gel-Coat does not harden with air, ... It takes a hardener just like the resin. It will cure just like resin.

If he applies it without just slopping it on, it should look fine. I have seen this done a few times with great success.

Bill
Bill

Super Spartan Build "Miss Tripindicular", ... Completed, ...http://tinyurl.com/b488wsz

Caber-Feidh

Post by Caber-Feidh » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:32 pm

Bill CNC wrote:Caber-Feidh,

You are correct that Gel-Coat does not harden with air, ... It takes a hardener just like the resin. It will cure just like resin.

If he applies it without just slopping it on, it should look fine. I have seen this done a few times with great success.

Bill
No, it won't. real gel coat has no wax, it will stay surface tacky if you mixed it 50/50 with MEKP. Oxygen arrests the cure. The only way real gel coat will set is if there is a barrier between the resin and the air. Finish resins (waxed) develop a surface wax barrier as they cure. Laminating resins (like the original gel coat laid in a mould) have a tacky surface when set, they do not need anywhere near the prep to layup the next layer. If gel coat had wax, it would have to be sanded before the hull was shot (or laid up). Taking sandpaper to the inside of a mould is not the best idea for a nice smooth finish.

The name "gel coat" came from the fact the unwaxed resin "jelled" in the mould, but didn't setup hard. Waxed dyed resin is not gel coat, no matter what the guy at home depot told you. That is why when someone hot-pots their boat with something marked as "repair gel coat" then lets is sit out a year or so, the stuff peels like a nordic tourist in the Bahamas

Gel coat is nothing special, just an isophthalic laminating resin with some dye. (Most new boats are using DCPD layers to start a mould, gel coat is a dinosaur) For our use in wood boats, there is absolutely no reason to use gel coat unless you are using a mould. Use epoxy primer, and paint for colour finish, it will save you a royal PITA later.
Some plan to stroll through Saint Peter's Gates, I plan to go through them at 150mph... backwards... in a screaming ball of flame, with a glimmer belt wrapped around my head, and a NOx button in my hand.

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:17 pm

Talkk to your supplier....tell him you want "paintable gelcoat" he will know exactly what you want and you will be able to paint it on and it will cure just fine!
Steve

Wood Nut

Post by Wood Nut » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:30 pm

Thanks for all the replies on this. Lots of info to think about. As a reminder this is for the interior of the hull and not for use inside of a mold. As of right now this project just got push onto the back burner as now I have a few new to-do items for the house to get done. Hopefully I can get them done in short order and get back on track on the boat projects.
Charlie K.
Building a Flying Saucer

Bill CNC

Post by Bill CNC » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:36 am

Caber-Feidh,

First off, ... I do not get my information from Home Depot or the likes. I just called two of the people that have done this and here is what I left out.

AFTER laying up the Gel-Coat, ... they sprayed the inside of the hull with PVA, .. 2 coats. This prevented the air from getting to the Gel-Coat so it hardened like a rock. Since PVA is water soluble, they simply took some soap and water and washed the PVA off leaving them with a beautiful job.

I'm sorry if I created any confusion. The process does work like a champ and like I said, I have see this done several times. I just didn't stick around long enough for the Gel-Coat to set up (thicken) enough and watch the spraying of the PVA.

Bill
Bill

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:57 pm

yup I am with Bill, mine is not from the big box store either. In another life I used to sell Fiberglass and Resins. Interplastics Corp and Bean Fiberglass. We sold quite a bit of paintable gelcoat to the Maine boatbuilders.

SS

Return to “Miscellaneous”