introduce yourself and what type of boat your building

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Hopsahi Harry

Post by Hopsahi Harry »

I'm building a Kid Row. This is my first boat I've ever built, and learning as I go!

Cap'n Kirk

Geronimo!

Post by Cap'n Kirk »

Hi,

My name is Kirk and I'm building the Geronimo.

eamelink

Introducing...

Post by eamelink »

Hey all :)

I'm Erik, from the Netherlands :)

I'm a physics student, and like tons of other people, i'm building a squirt :)

I just fiberglassed the hull! Since we had a heatwave (is that a correct word?), here, I had to wait until 10pm before I could start, and I finished at 3 am...

I'm going there now, and see how it became :P. I'm a little nervous! We (I had a helper :)), did the whole boat in one time, with no overlaps. We overlapped, and cutted through there, removing the scrap, so the whole cloth butts. I don't think i'll add extra layers on the corners, i think this should be enough :)

The transom was pretty hard, al that cloth coming from all sides, and it's not as pretty as we hoped to get it. But I'll sure fix it with sanding and an extra coat of epoxy.

I was going to add an extra 6mm mahogany ply there for aestetic reasons anyway (the hull is going to be red, with a white drawing, and the deck and transom mahogany.

Oh, I havent uploaded the newest pics yet, but the old ones are here :

http://www.eamelink.nl/zut/boot/

Bye!

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

Erik, do you know Martien at www.veltens.nl ? I don't know how big a country the Netherlands is but the 2 of you certainly have a lot in common. I wouldn't think that you could be all that far apart, either.

From what I can see, your project is looking excellent! I wish you much success. Many would wish you luck, but I can see that luck has nothing to do with it. It's all skill with you.

I also like that your build form is very stout. It appears that you could do a lot of pushing and bending of the frame and planking without worry of the form allowing the hull to "hog." And, I absolutely love to see pictures of other people's projects. Thank you for the link.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

zbadone

Introduction and boat project>

Post by zbadone »

My name is Jeff and I live just north of Tampa, Florida.

I have been wanting to build myself a boat for sometime now, My son and I decided on the Flying Saucer. It has some nice clean lines and we are looking forward to finishing this project.

Yesterday, Aug 10, 2004, we set up the building form and will be purchasing the southern yellow pine for the frame members this coming weekend.

Since my workshop is not yet built, maybe first part of next year, still have some land clearing to do. I have purchased a 10x20 foot canopy with open sides and ends. I had some 4x4 from a previous project laying around and a few bags of concrete taking up room in my small shed, I decided to cement my building form into the ground. It will be removed when the boat is completed or be used to build another
boat.

The building frame is setup behind my shed, out of the way but close enough to my power tools.

My son and I look forward to building our first boat together.

Jeff

Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight »

did the whole boat in one time, with no overlaps. We overlapped, and cutted through there, removing the scrap, so the whole cloth butts.
Erik, I hate to say it but those overlaps on the corners are pretty essential! They make the encapsulation job much stronger as they create a continuous skin, by butting the corners you have created a weak spot, if the corner receives a knock and the resin cracks water will get in, this may cause the glass to lift in future.
I strongly suggest that you DO add those extra layers along the corners and fair them in, this will be much easier to do at this stage than to come back and do a repair job later on.
Graham in Shepperton, England

Good, Quick, Cheap, pick any two.

Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight »

I have purchased a 10x20 foot canopy with open sides and ends
Jeff, that's basically what I built mine under last winter, except I just assembled my own canopy using timber salvaged from work and covered with a sheet of heavy duty polythene.
The nice thing about working outside under cover is there's very little dust and fumes to worry about, the breeze just blows it all away! The downside can be low winter temperatures though, which is a real headache when working with epoxy, below a certain temperature the stuff just doesn't want to cure.

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

Graham Knight wrote: The downside can be low winter temperatures though, which is a real headache when working with epoxy, below a certain temperature the stuff just doesn't want to cure.
Even in the winter, that won't be near as critical in Tampa Florida as it would be in England. Tampa is way farther down in latitude on the map. Sometimes, even I would trade a Tennessee winter for a Tampa winter. Ya'll got it good down there.

There is one thing that I'm curious about, Jeff. Are you purchasing yellow pine for the building form OR for the boat frames themselves? I think that yellow pine is just about the LAST wood in the world to use for boat building. It's just NOT suitable for any type of marine environment. It would be GREAT for the build form though.

Kirk, I've been trying to figure for the longest time, how to put pictures in my posts live you've done. How do you do that?
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight »

I realise my comment about temperature hardly applies in Florida Dave! It was meant more as a general comment rather than being specifically aimed at Jeff.

I think you are mistaken about the Yellow Pine, you must be thinking of the usual cheap stuff used for general construction work. I'm almost certain that Jeff is referring to Southern Yellow Pine (or I hope he is!)...

"Southern Yellow Pine (Pinus spp.) Commercial grouping of several different species including longleaf, loblolly, slash, and shortleaf pine. Grows in southeastern and southern United States. Generally straight but uneven grained with a medium texture. Yellowish white sapwood and reddish brown, orange, or yellow heartwood. Moderately heavy and hard, stiff, moderately strong and shock resistant, moderately stable in service, and moderately decay resistant. Works fairly well with machine or hand tools although resin in wood sometimes gums up cutting edges. Glues satisfactorily. Holds screws and nails well; pre-drilling sometimes required to prevent splitting. Paints, stains, and varnishes easily, but resin bleed-out can cause problems. Used for structural timber, structural grade plywood, building construction, boxes, baskets, crates, cooperage, pallets, millwork, woodenware, novelties, boat building, and applications requiring hardness and good wearing qualities."

(the above comes from THIS very useful website)

Selected pieces of this timber can be excellent for boatbuilding, it's one that I considered as my local timber merchant carries it, but I got a better deal on the Douglas-fir so used that instead.

And I would like to know how to imbed photos in my posts too!

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

Graham Knight wrote:I think you are mistaken about the Yellow Pine, you must be thinking of the usual cheap stuff used for general construction work. I'm almost certain that Jeff is referring to Southern Yellow Pine (or I hope he is!)...
Well, you're right about that. Around here, the cheap construction stuff is all the yellow pine we ever see. The stuff is pretty nasty - full of knots, sappy turpentine oozing out and never a straight board. Also, in this area, we're so far from the ocean and the traditional boat building communities that anything of marine quality other than white oak, has to be ordered over the internet. Asking the local lumber suppliers about wood for marine applications is pointless. You might as well be asking them for plutonium. They not only look at you like you've got leprosy, but you're also wasting their time when they've got important cigarettes to smoke. :lol: So I stand corrected.

DavidMcA

Post by DavidMcA »

You just copy and paste the location of your image
(eg. http://www.sum-it.biz/squirt/website/ucoat1.jpg )
Then highlight it and press Alt + P
David McAdam
Squirt Gallery - Its BACK!!
http://one.xthost.info/boatbuilder/boat/
BOAT IS NOW SOLD

Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight »

OK chaps, 'scuse me while I give this a go...

Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight »

Hmm, well that didn't work! That was using the url of one of my Yahoo Photos files, I guess I need to post my photos elsewhere for this to work.

Cap'n Kirk

Posting pics

Post by Cap'n Kirk »

Gents,

Yahoo may not allow remote picture hosting. I use photobucket (www.photobucket.com), you sign up for a free account and upload your pictures. It's neat cause once the photo is uploaded they provide the picture link in three different tag formats for posting where ever.

To post a pic here you use this format
[img]http://www.phpbb.com/images/phplogo.gif[/img], replacing the URL between the tags with the URL of your picture... Voila!

Kirk

Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight »

OK, I'll try this again...

[img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-8/8 ... 0008.1.jpg
[/img]

Return to “Miscellaneous”