Graham in Shepperton, England

Good, Quick, Cheap, pick any two.

Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight »

Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight »

Now that worked, but for the life of me I can't see what I did differently to the last time!

Cap'n Kirk

Post by Cap'n Kirk »

In the lower corner of the post screen there is the option tab... BBCode has to be on in order for the pic links to work... I was having trouble posting the example because the board was thinking I was trying to post a picture. I turned the BBCode off to actually have the tag URL /tag displayed, maybe it affected what you were trying to do...

Kirk

eamelink

Post by eamelink »

Dave Grason wrote:I also like that your build form is very stout. It appears that you could do a lot of pushing and bending of the frame and planking without worry of the form allowing the hull to "hog."
Hehe, yeah that building form was sort of an accident :oops:

My super-duper-american-to-metric-translations were like this :

2" * 4" for the building form.
Hmmm, that should be about 10 cm * 20 cm

When I got at the lumberyard I thought it was pretty big :P, so I ended up with 17 * 7 cm.

My jigsaw's maximum is 6 cm, and I didn't have a tablesaw at that time, so I ended up cutting them all by hand, I'm pretty strong now :P

But when it got finished, I really liked it :). No problems with bending indeed and steady as a rock :)

Also, if I dó have to make mistakes, it better be in the form than in the boat ;)

Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight »

Erik, just looking at your new photos. From your earlier post I assumed that the butt joints in the cloth were along the edges, but I see you've managed to put them in the middle of flat panels which is much better. The continuous glass fibre around the corners is much better and looks pretty neat. What weight glascloth did you use? I couldn't have done this with mine, it wasn't that flexible so I think you may have used a lighter cloth?

eamelink

Post by eamelink »

Graham Knight wrote:Erik, just looking at your new photos. From your earlier post I assumed that the butt joints in the cloth were along the edges, but I see you've managed to put them in the middle of flat panels which is much better. The continuous glass fibre around the corners is much better and looks pretty neat. What weight glascloth did you use? I couldn't have done this with mine, it wasn't that flexible so I think you may have used a lighter cloth?
I have radiused the corners pretty far, and at the aft part (corner more than 90 degrees), I still had some trouble with air bubbles in the beginning, but it worked out fine eventually.

I used 280 gram/m^2 cloth, so that would probably 10oz cloth.

The first idea was to double it on all the edges; bottom first, wait a day, sand smooth, attach side, wait a day, sand smooth, attach other side, wait a day, sand smooth, attach transom.

But that would've taken four days, and since my vacation only lasts two more weeks, that is a lot of time :)

So I decided to do it in one day.

It was pretty tough, especially the transom, were the bottom, the side and the transomcloth overlapped, and they were all stapled to the wood.

We (me and my helper ;)), used the dry method, with the last layer some thixotropic epoxy, for a better finish.

The day after I sanded everything smooth, and applied another layer of epoxy, filled with 10% glassbubbles.

Next day I hoped to get it completely smooth, but I didn't have enough epoxy to sand away on some places, so another layer was required.

The 10% glass bubbles made the epoxy pretty thick, and it didn't flow out as much as we expected, so we did a layer with approximately 7% glass bubbles.

That was better, and the day after (which would be yesterday), I sanded for almost 5 hours to get it completely smooth. Sanding was harder now, because of the less glassbubbles.

Yesterday evening and tomorrow morning, we applied "Pantser Coat" ("armour coat"), and now it's nice & grey :).

Above the waterline, I'll add an polyurethane paint (red, véry red. It might be very good looking, or it might look reaaally ugly :P We'll see :))

Next year I'll know the waterline, and then I'll use an antifouling under the waterline.

I'll probably upload some "now it's grey" photos tonight :)
http://www.eamelink.nl/zut/boot/ << My ongoing RED hulled squirty![br]
Newest photo's

zbadone

SYP FLying Saucer.

Post by zbadone »

I am using clear Southern Yellow Pine for my frames, no knots.

Boatbuilder_G

Post by Boatbuilder_G »

Hello,

Just ordered plans and kits for console skiff. I'll be starting on it as soon as I get my wood hopefully in the next few weeks. I'm sure I'll be on here a lot with lots of questions.

Boatbuilder_G
Feel Alive!!!

StavrosH

StarPath 44 builder

Post by StavrosH »

Hello,

I ordered and received the plans for the StarPath 44 in August. About half way through with the building of a model and have just started the building form.

Best Regards
Stavros

Not building yet, but I will be!

Post by Guest »

I just received the plans for the RC X-1 :). I figured I gotta start small. My next adventure will probably be a Squirt or Canyak. What I want is one of the 30'+ cruisers. One of these days....one of these days.

RobB

Hey Sailor

Post by RobB »

I want to build the big hunk, please lookup my post ?s about the big hunk and drop me a line. Thanks
If you don't start heading that way today, tommorrow you won't be any closer to your destination.

rav3n

Post by rav3n »

Howdy! I'm Kevin, and like Stavros, I'm also going to be building the Starpath 44. I received my plans this week and have been looking them over trying to understand how to actually read them... A lightbulb finally clicked and suddenly I saw the things I couldn't see before. :) Always a nice feeling when that happens...

This is the first set of blueprints I've ever looked at, and... I've never built a boat before, nor have I ever sailed. But I decided I wanted to own my own home, and I wanted it to be mobile... I also want to see the world, so the boat made the best sense for me. :)

Right now, I'm having to build a storage shed to clear out enough space in the garage to set up my tools... Most notably, the router and table saw. I have a feeling I'll be using those a great deal. I still have a few tools left that I need to complete my shop. I figure $1500 or so left for the good tools... Then I'll pass them to my dad for his care and use once this project is completed.

I plan to do a great deal of customization to my craft. I like inlays a lot, so veneering will be my choice to create the patterns and look I would like. I especially like "inverse" type patterns... So we'll see how it goes once I'm further into the build and have a better idea of what I'm really doing.

Cheers!

-Kevin

craig larson

Post by craig larson »

Best to keep a good topic afloat!

Craig here, just finishing up on my year farming, so checking in again. I have all plans, wood and engine ready to begin to put together an Eagle, stretched to 25'. I'll start to cut out the forms and lumber this winter and get ready to start the build in the spring. I'v enow been out on Lake Winnipegosis 3 times this year and can't wait to set out in a truly sea-worthy craft for a week or two cruise. Cedar hull...spruce stringers...ash cabin components...along with marine plywood underlays.

Craig...just checking in

catman

Post by catman »

Don here from Minnesota, building Hankinson's Waterlodge

Return to “Miscellaneous”