Corian

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

JimM

Corian

Post by JimM »

It took some searching, but I finally found a supplier that sells to DIYers: http://stonewood.safeshopper.com. My application is the dashboard of my 1975 Checkmate. As you can imagine, it's had a number of instruments installed and removed over the years, and has too many holes to look good any more. I could cover it with wood, but I felt the metalflake finish wouldn't really be complimented by wood, and I'd have to varnish it now & then. Corian has hundreds of colors (I'm choosing black). All I have to order is a piece of 1/4" thick sheet and trim it to fit, attach with SS oval head machine screws for a modern look. Could get fancy with button plugs of same or contrasting material, but I probably won't.

The company charges by the square foot, cut to your need. Price varies by color. Has anyone dealt with them?

DanH

Post by DanH »

Are you sure that Corian is the best material for that application? Is it UV resistant?

I have Corian counter tops and I can't wait to get rid of them. They are easily scratched, stained and can't take any heat (black corian in the direct sun for hours?).

Just make sure that it will last after all of the effort you will go through to fabricate and install it.

Good luck,
Dan

JimM

Post by JimM »

Gee, all your complaints are what they advertise it's GOOD for! Supposed to be easy to sand out scratches, stain resistant, and can take 212 degrees. I'm surprised you've had trouble, but I appreciate your concern.

Any other ideas? I thought about black plexiglass, but that scratches easy too and I though the mat finish would be easier to maintain. I could use stainless steel sheet for less money than Corian, but I'm not sure I'd like the look of it.

Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight »

What's wrong with painted steel sheet? My old VWs both have painted steel dashboards that still look good after 32 and 35 years respectively. If steel's too heavy use a hard grade aluminium.
You could get aluminium sheet anodized black which would look nice, but might be expensive. I think I'd go for painted, for a real hard wearing paint finish find somewhere that can do powder coating.
Graham in Shepperton, England

Good, Quick, Cheap, pick any two.

JimM

Post by JimM »

I think anodized aluminum would be very expensive, but I'll check. I'm leary of steel because of the salt-water environment (and it's a low-freeboard 15' skiboat), and re-painting would mean removing instruments, if I wanted to do it right. Too much hastle! I'm still having a hard time imagining anything more appropriate than black Corian.

Sure do appreciate all the input though!

Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight »

I think anodized aluminium would be expensive too, but only because of the size of the component, there aren't too many places that can handle stuff that size.
But painted aluminium should be no problem, after all that's what outboards are made from and they are more or less permanently immersed in salt water, a few splashes on a dashboard wouldn't be a problem.
Paint it with aluminium etch primer or epoxy primer, then the topcoat of your choice, personally I'd use epoxy paint or 2 pack acrylic.
Graham in Shepperton, England

Good, Quick, Cheap, pick any two.

Chuck in WA

Post by Chuck in WA »

Why not painted wood? Easily worked with common tools and the price is right. Not required, but you could coat it with epoxy and sand it before painting then you wouldn't notice the grain pattern. Paint would take care of UV resistance.
- Chuck

DanH

Post by DanH »

JimM wrote:Gee, all your complaints are what they advertise it's GOOD for! Supposed to be easy to sand out scratches, stain resistant, and can take 212 degrees. I'm surprised you've had trouble, but I appreciate your concern.
I too can't believe it. Minor scratches can be sanded out, but you can't use sandpaper (too agressive). I have been told to use nothing more than a Scotts green scrubbie (the kind to clean dishes). You can't remove heat marks. After the first time :oops: , you don't intentially put hot items on the counter. However, a phone rings, a pan is too hot to handle, a child gets too close and you end up putting something on the counter.

In the end, it is a soft plastic material.

Return to “Miscellaneous”