Prayer request

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

tsmitherman

Prayer request

Post by tsmitherman » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:59 pm

I am scheduled for open heart surgery on Monday, and would appreciate the prayers of my friends here who are believers.

I hope you will especially include Glenda in your prayers, as all this has come about rather quickly, and she (nor I) were really prepared for it.

Thanks,
Tom
Tom
------------------------------
36' 1969 Willard Aft-Pilothouse Trawler
Blog: www.genesisboat.blogspot.com

Knot-So-Fast (BoJest) SOLD

"It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one can't do." - Garfield

slug

Re: Prayer request

Post by slug » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:17 pm

Tom; I am just now recovering/recuperating from triple bypass surgery I had on March 19. Like you totally unexpected. I now consider myself the luckiest man alive for several reasons;
One; I got a warning (angina) and the professionals jumped right on it. Two; My heart is in excellent condition in spite of complete artery blockages. Three; My wife of 52 years is a trooper in spite of her own medical problems and is my best friend.
Four; We have friends we have known for over 40 yrs' who took care of all transportation and visiting ( a 2 1/2 hr drive each way).

My operation was over in 2 1/2 hours and I was back home in 6 days ( Oh boy...real food again!)
In the US they do literally millions of these operations every year, and they have it down to a science..they are real good at it. Like everything in life, there are no guarantees, but you'll get the best care available by absolute professionals.
I wish you all the luck for a speedy recovery ( it does get boring at times not being able to do anything for 5 or 6 weeks ), and like you two, we are looking forward to the summer on the water.

God Bless; Doug and Verna Harrison

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:41 pm

Tom

Our best. We're headed to the coast tomorrow. We'll be back about the time you get out. Let me know if I can do anything. You know that I owe you.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:54 pm

8) My best as always Hang in there I was luckily I never have had the bypass done on me but have had several heart attacks. they are never something you expect. my father lasted 20 years after his by pass. recovery isn't fast but don't vegetate after it totally that is the real killer after having one not doing anything. Luck to you and prayers
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:08 pm

We will be thinking of you and your family Tom. Hope you have a speedy recovery so you can get back on the water soon with the grandkids when school is out.

hdunk

Post by hdunk » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:45 pm

Tom, you and your wife are in my prayers... hang in there and how true the comment to stay active afterwards.. Wish I was closer.
Getting ready to start a Titan,

Welcome home our military...
USAF Retired.

tsmitherman

Post by tsmitherman » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:43 am

Thanks to everyone for the prayers and encouragement.
I spent 3 days on the tugboat with my son Nathan and my 8 year old grandson Dallas two weeks ago. We had a great trip from Nickajack Dam (just below Hales Bar Marina) to Chickamauga Marina (above Chattanooga). Dallas and Nathan both saw wild bald eagles for the first time.

My doctor had agreed to postpone my arteriorgram until that trip was over. I think we were both surprised yesterday when the test showed 3 blockages in the 80-90% range and one at 100%. It's a little scary now to think about how many trips I made up and down the steps at Chattanooga from the Bluff Dock to the street!

The surgeon felt it was safe for me to come home until Monday, and I'm sure that Glenda and I will both rest better here than if I'd stayed in the hospital.

As soon as I get access to my phone or iPad after the surgery, I'll post an update.

Thanks again and God bless all of you!
Tom
Tom
------------------------------
36' 1969 Willard Aft-Pilothouse Trawler
Blog: www.genesisboat.blogspot.com

Knot-So-Fast (BoJest) SOLD

"It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one can't do." - Garfield

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:06 am

You're in our prayers, Tom!! God Speed!!!

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

cusoak

Post by cusoak » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:06 am

Tom I too got a wake up call in Dec 2012. Nothing Wrong I thought, then the pain. I had quadruple buy pass.
I Did not know what to expect from the whole thing, but I can tell you that if you were in good shape before the whole thing.
Then it will be some thing you will look back on in a few weeks and think that was not to bad. Make sure you do some of a heart Rehab workout when you are able.
They do these all the time ( piece of cake)
Jeff

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Post by Trackhappy » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:40 am

Our best wishes from Down Under Tom. I am sure you will pull up fine.
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

fergal butler

Post by fergal butler » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:32 pm

Best wishes from Ireland.
IMG_6899 copy.jpg

John K

Post by John K » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:47 pm

Tom, will be thinking about you and offering a prayer that you come through and continue doing what you like best!

slug

Post by slug » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:54 pm

Fergal; Looks like a Titan?

Doug

ttownshaw

Post by ttownshaw » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:11 am

Prayers your way Tom.
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

John K

Post by John K » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:00 pm

well, its Tuesday. Hope Tom made it OK. Anyone hear?

Return to “Miscellaneous”