Depresion After the Turn

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Bill Edmundson

Depresion After the Turn

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:28 pm

I know I'm making progress. But, sometimes it is just overwhelming on a boat this size. So much of my time is spent on "what's next?". Yard work was to be done. This weekend most of my time has been trying to clear the basement so I have room to work. At 24', there are so many places to try to work. I'll get there. Just need to vent.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Re: Depresion After the Turn

Post by Trackhappy » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:47 pm

Ahhh Bill!!! Vent away. I'll join you, having been working on my hatch now for way too long and I am not happy with it. She'll be ready for IAGG, but I suspect I may eventually make hatch version 2. Very frustrating.

All I can say is hang in there. A whole lot of small steps soon adds up to a mile!!!!

:) :)
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

kens

Post by kens » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:18 pm

Bill,
I feel your pain. I love you Bro.
But honestly I don't know what to tell you after you already built a Mahogany.
But, if, your 24' is anything like my 24'; then you will get tired of working on the insides of it and launch it just once, and once is enough.
Thats when you start using it, and you never 'finish' it.
So, ummm, go ahead and launch just to see if it leaks..........
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Old aussie

Post by Old aussie » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:34 pm

Hang in there Bill.

Peter.........

fergal butler

Post by fergal butler » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:23 pm

It's all fun and games, when I started my engine up the other day I was kneeling on the side of the boat and got a kick from one of the spark plug leads I fell back off the boat and slid down the sharp dashed wall cutting my back both elbows and my head into shreds, I cruised the boat for doing this to me but then we made up over some gentle sanding :D

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:27 pm

Hey Bill,

I can sympathise with you as well. Although I am nowhere near flipping my boat, there are days when the endless coating with epoxy drives me crazy.

For what it's worth, pick a different aspect of the project and work on that for awhile. I decided to design a weight and balance software inventory package to aid in placing equipment in my boat. On those days when I am tired of epoxy coating, I will work on the software. Another thing I am doing is designing some small wood inlay artwork that will be on the frame gussets in the berthing area.

These little side projects help to keep my interest up when I feel like I am not making any progress. Believe me when I say that after 9 months of building and assembling the frames on my Vera Cruise, I am anxious to move on to something different.

One last thing, I remember reading here some time back about someone making a list of 1 hour tasks and using these to fill in on days when time is short.

hang in there. I know your boat is going to be a beaut.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:42 pm

Carl

This is why I brought it up! Everyone has to deal with it. I'm working on railing that I won't need for a while. I know I'm going forward. My wife doesn't :!:

I knew it was coming. Wanted everyone understands that it is just part of it.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

kens

Post by kens » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:28 pm

I previously thought that the 'flip' was the halfway point.
DUH!!!! The 'flip' is just the beginning. :lol:
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

raymacke

Post by raymacke » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:34 pm

Yea Bill, a project of that size can sometimes seem a little overwhelming. For me building the hull was the easy part as the plans provided the guidance and it seems Part A connects to Part B and they connect to Part C. Once rolled all bets are off. There is a million things that can be done and need to be sorted out. But still is is very similar to a much smaller project in that you just need to pick a task and complete it and then move on to the next. Sure there are a LOT MORE task but the idea is the same. I look at photos of home built boats that are 40 ft long and think, "How in the world did they do that?" But I will bet the builders will just sing the same mantra above - just go step at a time.

AND I can tell you this - after you spend the first night hanging on the hook in a quiet spot while ignoring everything else in the world, you will forget all the headaches and heartaches of the build. They suddenly seem a small price to pay for pleasure your new creation will provide. Sure has worked that way for me.

In the mean time, you may need to get a hold of a can of this -

So Many Rivers,
So Little Time....

fredt

Post by fredt » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:14 am

Bill,

I am glad someone said it. It seems from time to time that it will never get done. I was looking forward to putting
the final mahogany lam on, getting it all sanded , getting close to the turn, but this final lam seems to be taking
forever. My progress never matches my expectation. But these potentially beautiful boats can't be rushed.

I look around at all the chores I need to catch up on, I look at the hours I have spent on the boat (over 500 counting building the motor), and think , wow, everyone says the turn isn't really even half way.

Sometimes it is best just to put it all away for a few days, and remember why we chose to build the boat in the first place.

Then, there is always the Elks' club.

jprice

Post by jprice » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:30 am

Mine's only 16', and I'm going through the exact same thing.
I'm finding that the "progress" seems to come in little bursts. I'll spend a lot of time looking, figuring, contemplating, researching... doing little bits of busy-work here and there. Then eventually I cross some imaginary threshold and get on a roll and get a bunch done.
...only to get back to the "hmmm... what to do next?" part. :roll:

slug

Post by slug » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:44 am

After the flip I spent a lot of time sitting in the boat just visualizing layouts. THEN, I made mock-ups of everything...bulkheads, dash, seats, soles, cabin, and so on. That's where all the decisions were made. ( A lot easier and cheaper to make changes with cardboard and cheap ply )
After that it was just a simple (?) matter to make the finished product. Went quite well then without the worry of screwing up a piece of expensive material.

Doug

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:09 pm

This is why I brought this up! We all go through it. DON'T STOP :!: It is a difficult time.

I'm starting to see the boat now. Pictures soon.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

SeaPea

Post by SeaPea » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:35 pm

I'm kinda at the stalled stage with fairing the hull...
Craig

SUP
Riviera

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:43 pm

Craig

Sometimes it's just 15 to 20 minutes at a time. Keep going! Keep looking!

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Miscellaneous”