Well, I bought my first revolver.

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Dave Grason

Well, I bought my first revolver.

Post by Dave Grason » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:30 pm

Ok, Ok, I know that this is NOT a handgun forum. But all my friends are on THIS forum and the shooting forums are full of rampant egos. Can't really stand those guys sometimes. But I've always been an avid shooting enthusiast and sometime back, I got my carry permit. It sure makes life easier when one is trying to stay legal and get his firearms and his ammo out to the shooting range.

Anywho, I've had several auto loaders for some time but I have been shopping for a revolver for about a year. It has taken that long because I haven't been able to find just what I wanted. To be specific, I've been wanting a Smith & Wesson 686 plus. For those who are not knowledgeable about this firearm, it's a .357 Magnum with a capacity of 7 rounds. I wanted a barrel that was under 4", it needed to be stainless steel, I wanted the rubber grips and the full lug under the barrel to protect the extractor pin and help hold recoil down. Now honestly, this is not all that rare of a gun. The problem for me has been that none of the gun stores around here can keep one in stock OR they have only the 6 round version OR it will have a barrel that is too long, etc. Seriously, around here, anytime you visit any gun store more than once, you'll see that the display cases will have been completely stocked differently because hand guns are just flying off the shelves as fast as the stores can order new ones in and put them on display. Also, I just haven't wanted to buy online because, if I'm going to spend the coins for a revolver, I want to fondle it first and you just can't do that online. So yesterday, I walked into a store that I had never visited before and there was my gun; exactly what I've been looking for. Best of all, that it had it marked down $100. I didn't pass it up.

I haven't had a chance to get it out to the firing range but I will likely get to do that tomorrow. But it is easily the best feeling, most comfortable hand gun in my collection. I'm so excited, I haven't been able to sleep. lol. And I really need to tell someone about it. So thanks for indulging me. :D
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Lowka53

Re: Well, I bought my first revolver.

Post by Lowka53 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:58 pm

:lol: 8) all good I don't own any hand guns anymore sold my last 9mm about 3 years ago enjoy :wink:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

galamb

Post by galamb » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:06 pm

Ok folks,

don't tick off Dave - he's packin' now :)
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

jlwright

Post by jlwright » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:46 pm

I have a 686 with a 6 inch barrel. I bought it new about 15 years ago. I load wad cutters and shoot it quite a bit. It is by far my favorite revolver. Super accurate too. You are going to love this gun.

thudpucker

Post by thudpucker » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:48 am

I still have my Rhom .22 6 shooter I bought for $9 from a Hock Shop in Seattle in 1958.

Shoot it a lot. It's fun, and the more you get to know the gun, the better you'll become with it.
Look out bad guys, Here comes Da Judge!

You may come up short a Toe or two if you practice quick draw! :lol:

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:36 am

Nice piece, Dave!!! A little big for CC, but probably fun to shoot. I like my 9mm SA EMP for CC. Looking to get an AR15 and a SW 1911 for home defense.

Roberta :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:20 am

galamb wrote:Ok folks,

don't tick off Dave - he's packin' now :)
ROTHFLOL! That's right, dangit!! Now I be BAAAAAAD!! :twisted:
jlwright wrote:I have a 686 with a 6 inch barrel. I bought it new about 15 years ago. I load wad cutters and shoot it quite a bit. It is by far my favorite revolver. Super accurate too. You are going to love this gun.
EVERYBODY that I've talked to familiar with this gun has extolled the virtues of its accuracy. You're absolutely right. I know I'm going to love it. I wonder if it's competition worthy right out of the box?
Roberta Hegy wrote:I like my 9mm SA EMP for CC.
There is one thing that really impresses me about you, Roberta. You're a person who does everything with an eye towards quality. That Springfield 9 is a really nice CC weapon - so much so that it looks like a nice work of art. It's as good looking as it is functional. And it obviously takes its styling cues after the 1911. So, with your saying that you want a 1911 for home protection, I think you're probably someone that, like me, has always loved the 1911 for its aesthetic appeal as much as for any other reason. I only wish I could justify the $1300 price tag for that SA. (yikes) If ever you're feeling generous, I would be more than tickled to swap my Taurus 9mm for it. Just let me know. lol

Actually, speaking of my Taurus, (PT 111 Pro) it is the only pistol I own that does not use a hammer but instead, uses an internal striker. It's a cheap little gun that shoots great and is fairly comfortable. I've had zero probs with it . But I have never been able to really get used to not having a hammer that I can control with my thumbs. As a result, I can never decock it without just squeezing the trigger - which could possibly not end well. So, when I carry it, I've developed a somewhat nervous paranoia over making sure the safety is ALWAYS on! Hmmm, maybe that's a good thing.

Well.... since I'm ranting on about my guns anyway, I'll just tell you that the other two guns I own are both Bersas - a Thunder .380 Duotone and a Thunder .45 Ultra Compact. IMHO, the quality of these guns is just superb. I think that they offer more gun per dollar invested than the vast majority of companies out there. I've been using both of these guns interchangeably for CC depending on how I'm dressed. The .45 is virtually the same size as my Taurus and I use the holsters interchangeably as well.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

jlwright

Post by jlwright » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:59 am

That SA EMP is a very nice pistol Roberta. My son has that in a 40 caliber. I carry a Sig 938 9 MM myself just because it is a little smaller and I am height challenged to say the least and the smaller pistol is easier to conceal for me. My son is lucky as he lives in Oklahoma and they have open carry there. He gets thumbs up from people and policemen whenever he walks into a public place with the pistol on his belt. He is ex AirForce and has been a shooter most of his life. If I really want to plug the center of a target I use my Wilson 45 auto.

jlwright

Post by jlwright » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:03 am

Dave, I can't remember if I polished the trigger any or not but mine is very competitive in local shoots. The 4 inch barrel will hurt a little but mostly depends on the person doing the shooting.

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:16 am

I really like it, too!! I think the cocobolo grips attracted me. The AL frame makes it a bit lighter than the .40. When I was looking for a pistol, it was funny how every one that caught my eye was the EMP. It shoots nice and the recoil is not bad for a lighter pistol. I need to get back out to the range again. I stopped for a while when ammo became so scarce. Now it seems readily available again and the prices are back to normal.

Roberta :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

kens

Post by kens » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:22 pm

Dave, now you can engage in the discussion of 'which is better' a revolver, or, semi-auto. Let me know if you ever come to the final answer in that one!!!! :lol: :lol:
You'r right, guns are flying off the shelves.
As hard as the Dems try to enforce gun bans, there is only 1 part of the US Economy that has flourished under the Obama Economy, and that is the gun sales :roll:
Think about Di Feinstein and her ilk, and notice how much they want gun control, then realize how much they are (h)arming society. :roll:
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:07 pm

jlwright wrote:Dave, I can't remember if I polished the trigger any or not but mine is very competitive in local shoots. The 4 inch barrel will hurt a little but mostly depends on the person doing the shooting.
I got out to the range today. On single action this gun is really quite hair triggered already. On double action, the shot always surprised me. And you're right. The 4" barrel does hurt some. That's why I need the practice. I will learn how to hold the gun so it's the most comfortable.

I ran 100 rounds of .357 ammo through the S&W and another 50 of .38 Special. I will need to adjust the sights just a tad because the gun is shooting a little low and a little to the left. There are 30 lanes at our local pistol range. The weather was just GORGEOUS and so, all 30 lanes were full. My neighbors told me that fire was shooting way out in front of my gun on the .357 ammo but not on the .38 stuff. Wow, the difference between the .357 recoil and the .38 recoil was not small. The recoil with the .38 ammo felt basically like my .380 - very light and comfortable. But after 100 rounds of the .357 ammo, the knuckle on the middle finger of my shooting hand was pretty sore because it kept getting hit by the trigger guard. My grouping wasn't as tight either and I'm sure that was due to my anticipating and flinching a little. So I've got lots of practicing to do. All in all, I had a really good time with it and I'm going to keep this gun a LONG time.
kens wrote:Dave, now you can engage in the discussion of 'which is better' a revolver, or, semi-auto. Let me know if you ever come to the final answer in that one!!!!
Apples and Oranges!! But I will continue to use one of my auto-loaders for my CCW.
kens wrote: As hard as the Dems try to enforce gun bans, there is only 1 part of the US Economy that has flourished under the Obama Economy, and that is the gun sales :roll:
Think about Di Feinstein and her ilk, and notice how much they want gun control, then realize how much they are (h)arming society. :roll:
I have to admit that until a few years ago, I had not done any shooting since I was in my early twenties when I did quite a bit of hunting with my friends. But I lay the blame on my becoming re-interested squarely on the political climate. While the gun salesman and I were waiting for my background check to clear, I was looking at some of their AR-15s and I told Mike, my salesman, that an AR was on my future shopping list. He asked me what kind of shooting would I use it for. I replied that I probably wouldn't do any shooting with it. I'm wanting one only because Feinstein and her cohorts might finally be successful.

thudpucker

Post by thudpucker » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:35 am

More than one guy shot a hole in the roof of our range after he 'polished' his trigger.
Especially shooting when your fingers are cold!
Or your whole body is shivering.
Stick with the 8 Lbs it came with and you'll never face anybody in court over 'modifying' a weapon.

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:04 pm

ROTFLOL! Our shooting range has literally dozens of holes in the roof. Is THAT how it happens?

jlwright

Post by jlwright » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:11 pm

thudpucker wrote:More than one guy shot a hole in the roof of our range after he 'polished' his trigger.
Especially shooting when your fingers are cold!
Or your whole body is shivering.
Stick with the 8 Lbs it came with and you'll never face anybody in court over 'modifying' a weapon.
I am a tool and die maker and have been working on guns most of my life. So far no holes in any roof but have made a lot of firearms shoot better.

Return to “Miscellaneous”