classic boat builder

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

jenko

classic boat builder

Post by jenko »

Last edited by jenko on Sat May 23, 2015 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Grason

Re: classic boat builder

Post by Dave Grason »

It would be my prognosis that he is simply suffering from low self-esteem and has been surrounding himself with the more snobbish individuals from the overall wooden boat social structure. He does this in an effort to somehow convince himself that is he is more of a man than he has always been in the past. Thus, he folds to peer pressure in much the same way that a swinging door yields to even slight pressure from either side. Of course, he does this for several reasons; all of them partaining to what Freud called the Superego. We now understand these needs to be defined as a combination of Self-actualization needs and Self-transcendence needs. To put these in lay terms, I would describe it as a combination of the need to find meaning and indentity beyond himself and the need to live up to a fuller and more unique potential, even if only in his own mind. However, by refusing to give credit where credit is due, he actually paints a false mental image of his own greatness. In addition he fails to recognize the fragility and superficialness of the more snobbish crowd whose peer pressure, in reality, is holding him captive.

I'm really, really enjoying my psychology class this semester!! :D Can anyone tell?
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

galamb

Post by galamb »

Dave, when you are done the course are you going to hang out your own shingle and we will then have to address you as "Dr. Dave"?

Hmmmm, sounds like a daytime television show in there somewhere, maybe even pick up a sponsor (like Glen-L) :)
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

My previous post was sort of a two edged sword. On the one hand, I wondered if anyone would catch the humor. I realized that I might have been pontificating a little too much and most folks would not read it all the way through thus not getting the punchline.

On the other hand, I think I pretty much nailed the problems of this guy that Jenko pointed out to us. This was actually a surprise to me. I'm glad that you, Galamb, saw it the way I did. lol

BTW, thanks to Jenko for starting this thread. I agree that it is rather sad that folks try to hog all the glory for themselves and do not give credit where it's due.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

jenko

Post by jenko »

Dr Dave I got the humor :lol: I was a bit hesitant at starting the thread ,but I am proud to be building a Glen L boat and don't hesitate to mention the fact . I hope that the website is edited and credit is given to Glen Witt for his beautiful and successful design along with all his other designs

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 »

8) :lol: his face book page is not showing up any more the other link works though. it has a referral to face book but it does not work either :wink: :roll: I did a face book search it not there any longer
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

galamb

Post by galamb »

I often wish that I was half as smart as some people think they are or portray themselves.

If that were the case I would certainly make guys, like Einstein, look like "mental midgets"..

(in case there are any questions as to the direction of my comments, they were in reference to individuals such as the subject of this post)
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

Mr Hot Rod

Post by Mr Hot Rod »

You really have to dig for it, but it's there ...

If you click his website's Gallery & Events tab and scroll through the photos, you'll find this :
Don't ask me how much time it took me to find that :shock:

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.kanecustomboats.com

Glen-L Boat Video Directory : http://www.kanecustomboats.com/pages/vi ... ctory.html

jenko

Post by jenko »

I apologize and take back all I said

Tim Major

Post by Tim Major »

jenko wrote:I apologize and take back all I said
Good on you Jenko, I have met Craig and can vouch for the fact that he's a guy who's not at all full of himself, in fact, a very decent individual.

I have spent some time trawling through your build shots since our little gathering and I have to say.......WOW, WOW & WOW what a beautiful build, very sharp, and that engine!!!!, along with the beautifully built support frame......quality mate, just quality. You should be very proud of not only your mechanical ability which comes as second nature but of your wood working ability too....sweet lines.

All the best

Tim

Return to “Miscellaneous”