Landing craft Jon boat

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Mac4

Landing craft Jon boat

Post by Mac4 »

Hello men

I am just curious if anyone here has had experience with or known someone who has built a "drop door" on a boat. Like the old D-Day landing craft. I think they are called Higgins boats. This would be in reference to a smaller wooden type boat. My Dad had a stroke and is compromised on his left side, you can figure from that what I have had in the back of my mind for a while.

I know it's kinda out there but just thought I'd ask.
John

Lowka53

Re: Landing craft Jon boat

Post by Lowka53 »

8) the only experience I have had with that type of boat was the military landing boat made of steel they tended to leak but they never was in the water long enough to sink :roll: :lol: they use a rubber gasket to seal the door and the hull. :wink: the modern day name for them are poppa boats. to be honest a john boat is not a good boat to do this with not as it is designed the only frames in the boat that is permmit are in the bow and stern of the boat the other are only removable building forms. also the john boat is very narrow and it would be hard to fit a wheel chair in one I would suggest a pontoon boat like the Huck fin and add a drop ramp to it you would not have to cut the hull to do this and would give you more room :wink:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

John

I've seen what you're talking about in south Alabama for 4-wheeler. Glen-l doesn't have a design like that. I don't know if Mr. John can be modified that far.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

galamb

Post by galamb »

These are actually somewhat popular in the 30,000 island region of Georgian Bay (Ontario, Canada).

There is a company up here, Stanley boats, that builds three different models (http://www.stanleyboats.ca/stanley/pulsecraft.html) - have some specs/layout/pics etc on their website - might be something you could mock up yourself from a jon style hull.
Attachments
stanley 1.jpg
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 »

Bill Edmundson wrote:John

I've seen what you're talking about in south Alabama for 4-wheeler. Glen-l doesn't have a design like that. I don't know if Mr. John can be modified that far.

Bill
Bill i have the plans for mr John and it would take a lot of redesign to do it.
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

slug

Post by slug »

If i'm not mistaken, the Stanleys that I have seen have a double hull, so water ingress is not a serious problem. They build an incredible range of excellent heavy water boats that will last a lifetime.

Doug

bob smith

Post by bob smith »

Century made an interesting boat, the Trident 20, in '67 & '68. Both an OB and IO version.
None are known to exist to day. If one is found it could be worth a pretty penny.
Bob Smith
Chester, SC
Attachments
68trident20-ob.jpg
67trident20-io.jpg
Bob Smith
Chester, SC

John K

Post by John K »

That Century is an interesting boat. Never seen or heard of one before. It probably would be worth lots of money, if one was still around. Wonder how many were built?

Bergy

Post by Bergy »

Check out Harry Bryan's plans. He has a boat call 'Trout' that might fill the bill, and you build it yourself!
"It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."
Abraham Lincoln

fergal butler

Post by fergal butler »

There are also some wheelchair adapted boats that might be worth a look.

slug

Post by slug »

How about just putting a set of ramps up and over the bow on the jon boat?
They don't even have to be full width...just two tracks for the chair. (aluminum even!)
Doug

Mac4

Post by Mac4 »

Thanks men for such a response. The "landing craft Jon boat" is really just an idea behind a purposed boat. I agree it wouldn't be the best platform for the drop door. I had in mind a small two seat job that I could beach and have him step in. This would be for slowly fishing up and down the bank with cane poles if you get my drift. It's fun for me to think about how a boat like this would be built. I was just stuck on that dang drop door. The Stanley, Century and Bryan designs are awesome I would need to scale them down a bit though. I appreciate y'all pointing them out. I will investigate. The other options pointed out are on spot, the pontoon boat , homemade ramps are practical and would certainly work. I'm in uncharted territory, soon this spring I'll find out if we can negotiate an outing in my little 15' skiff. It may be that the spirit is willing but an outing is too demanding. If things go well enough it would really be a kick to attempt a little home built job in his garage. If the little plywood boat sinks, what the hell. As you are all boat builders I know you'll understand when I say, the two of us building a boat together would be just as therapeutic as the fishing.
Thanks very much for all the input !

slug

Post by slug »

Mac; Just to let you know; my wife and long time mate has a serious ankle problem due to her long time rheumatoid arthritus, and in 2012 she had major surgery.
When I built the Titan I finished it off with openings in the (taller) handrails in the appropriate locations and designed and installed a swing-out windlass for hoisting her off and on in a bosun's chair. She did use it a few times for swimming, but the tower made an extra handle for her to manage getting off and on herself. Anything is possible if the desire is there.

Doug

Mac4

Post by Mac4 »

You see it how I see it Doug. Where there is a will, there is a way. That's smart building the windlass
( I had to look that word up ! ) as part of the boat. I looked up the Titan and believe your boat is shown on the Glen-L sight. Very nice !

Return to “Miscellaneous”