Weather

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

John K

Weather

Post by John K »

Here we go again. Not sure how today is going to turn out for the southeast. Here in Northeast AL the watch is on for after lunch. Just hope we don't loose power due to ice on trees and power lines.

It is getting boring having to sit in the house so much. Even the shop has been too cold for the heater to be warm enough to work in. Have used the same heater for years without a problem. Time to think about getting a bigger heater and adding insulation to the attic.

Hope everyone in the southeast and along east coast still safe, warm and with power.

mac62326

Re: Weather

Post by mac62326 »

Ahh yes everybody gets to experience illinois weather. I hope all are safe.

jedema

Post by jedema »

mac62326 wrote:Ahh yes everybody gets to experience illinois weather. I hope all are safe.
I'll take your cold any day of the winter. Here in West Michigan where I'm at we deal with that nasty Lake Effect snow. We have snow drift piles over 20' high along the roads that the road crews have had to come out with Front end loaders to push back. Its been a tough one for us here.

Stay safe if you're in that mess. Its bad enough driving in it in a state where people know how to drive in it, I can't imagine how its like in a warm southern state that has very little clue.

mac62326

Post by mac62326 »

Ya lake effect is killer. I feel for anybody who deals with the cold. It was negative 33 to neg 40 here. I hate the cold

jprice

Post by jprice »

The problem down here is we don't have the infrastructure to deal with it.
So whatever falls on the roads pretty much stays there. Looks like a sheet of ice right now.
Thankfully, as long as I have an internet connection, I can work from home. :)

bob smith

Post by bob smith »

Lived in Chicago, Northern NJ, Atlanta, Dallas, & SC .
Everywhere there are those who drive (and boat) like jerks and those who respect Newton' laws and other people.
Ice is the Worst!!! Stay warm
Bob Smith
Chester, SC
5"+snow on the ground and now starting to sleet!
Got plenty of firewood, propane, kerosene, gasoline and scotch, let it come.
Bob Smith
Chester, SC

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

I don't wish bad on anyone. But, I find some humor when I hear "People in the south don't know how to drive in the snow." Then I get to watch them hitting each other as they experience the ice conditions that we have. When we get snow the ground is usually above freezing. We get a layer of ice before the snow starts "sticking". Best plan is leave early, go home and stay there.

Of coarse, you need to stop on the way and get beer and wine!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Tony Hain

Post by Tony Hain »

Well you know what Mark Twain said about the weather, "Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody ever does anything about it"

Tony
Tony Hain
"Never under-estimate the bounds of human stupidity" (Robert Heinlein)
and on a more optimistic note "nor the capacity for human brilliance"

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal »

Mark Twain never met Al Gore :lol:

cusoak

Post by cusoak »

I had a friend that was transferred to Atlanta some time ago. After living there through the first summer that winter they got some bad weather, snow I recall. He called that night and said he and 2 outer guy's were the only ones at work. They all transferred at the same time and were from Columbus OHIO.
Jeff

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Our son lives just north of Atlanta. He's hunkered down with the family with lots of food and beer. His job allows him to work from home, so he's fine. Everybody down there take it easy and stay safe!!!

Roberta :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Brad Tucker

Post by Brad Tucker »

I'm pretty much in the middle of it, between Atlanta and Augusta, GA. I-20 was pretty much a sheet of ice this morning at 8 due to the freezing rain. I haven't seen a snowflake all day. It is freezing rain and sleet. You know it's bad when Jim Cantore from the Weather Channel shows up in the same town your are in!

I'm home, safe and sound. It's still piling up outside, but I think we were cold enough here at home to get less freezing rain than Augusta to our east. They have several thousand without power. Out of state power companies are in the area to help get it back on ASAP. Luckily, we still have power here at home.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

One of the things I'm proud of is the line teams from the power companies, particularly the Southern Company. Those people are really Pros. Other companies also come in. But, these folks go al over the country helping. Super storm Sandy... Nothing to them they just plowed thru! I know these people.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

John K

Post by John K »

Well it is over here in Leesburg and no where as bad as predicted. I also have lived in Niagara Falls, Outside Chicago, Minneapolis, and Cedar Rapids, but never experienced how bad the "snow" can be until moving here. Like Bill stated ... starts out as freezing rain and then the snow. While the temp hovers at the freezing mark. I am glad this one is behind us and maybe we are over the worst of the winter.

Glad we did not loose power. Some of our family lives around Canton and they were without power yesterday. Have not heard how they are doing today.

jenko

Post by jenko »

On the other side of the world here at Pine mountain the temp has been above 40deg c since the new year and I cant wait till it cools down

Return to “Miscellaneous”