Heart Attack!!

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Dave Grason

Heart Attack!!

Post by Dave Grason » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:38 am

Yup! I had mine on Friday, Feb 7th at around 10:30am.

I had a funny feeling in my chest that I didn't recognize. It didn't feel bad enough to really motivate any panic but I thought that I might just be cautious. So I had my mom drive me over to the local hospital. My thinking was that there was surely not any way that I was actually having a real heart attack but we could eliminate such a possibility right off the bat and then go from there. But when the medical folks got the EKG machine on me, everyone in the room turned white as ghosts and went into emergency mode. The cardiologist made an incision in the femoral artery in my leg, cleared a blockage in the main artery behind my heart and put in a stint. I've spent the weekend in ICU and I got to come home yesterday.

It has all happened so fast I'm not really sure it's real yet. But I've sure got a coffee table full of meds that they're saying I will be taking for the rest of my life.

The scary part is that I came SOOOO close to brushing it off and thinking that the initial weird feeling would just go away. I'm glad that I didn't.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

fergal butler

Re: Heart Attack!!

Post by fergal butler » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:02 pm

Glad to see your OK Must have been a bit of a fright :shock: I hear sanding is good cardiovascular exercise :D
Best wishes.

Lewis Barrett

Post by Lewis Barrett » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:28 pm

Dave,

I'm glad you played it safe by going to the hospital. My neighbor had a similar experience the other day. Really scary stuff. Might need to get back to boatbuilding. Take care and glad you are back home.

David

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:30 pm

Dave

Glad you're ok! I'd probably have not made the right choice.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

jprice

Post by jprice » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:39 pm

Wow, that's some scary stuff!
Probably a good thing you didn't think much of it.... less stress and panic, which is probably good in that scenario.

Drink more beer, it helps keep the blood thin (at least that's what i keep telling myself. ;))

ttownshaw

Post by ttownshaw » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:04 pm

Glad you are okay big buddy!
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:22 pm

8) Dave there is life after what you have had I have 5 stints in my main artery and yes you will have to take the pills the rest of your life I know this for a fact. my last bad heart attack was 2 years ago. one thing you do not want to do is think life is over and not do anything walk and exercise with caution. eat a diet that has less carbs and corestrial. and keep building :lol:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

cusoak

Post by cusoak » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:29 pm

I can attest to life after heart problem. I had open heart surgery in Dec. 2013. 4 buy passes. 8 weeks after I was back working on My Zip Build. I now feel better than ever. And then a boat name came about. ZIPPER.
It makes you think about what is really important and what you need to do to keep that from happening again.
Jeff

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:08 pm

Glad you're OK, Dave!! Godspeed the recovery and do get back to building and GUITAR PLAYING!!!

Roberta :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:15 pm

Scary experience to be sure. Glad you got through that okay. Please be careful for awhile and then when you can work your way back into building. Take care.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Bergy

Post by Bergy » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:11 pm

Wow Dave! Scary indeed! I had a close call myself two years ago. Made some lifestyle changes, for the better, and have been feeling great ever since. Time to stop trying to keep up with the college kids.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Howard
"It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."
Abraham Lincoln

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:23 am

WOW!! Thank you EVERYONE for the kind words.

A number of years ago, I had been really into weight lifting. I blew out my left shoulder though and by the time it healed, I had lost the habit. But I missed it a lot because I really do enjoy lifting. So I had started back at it the last week of December and was making superb progress. I was losing weight, building strength and feeling younger every day. Then this happened.

I asked the cardiologist if my weight lifting was effecting anything and if it would be effected. He said that there was a good possibility that I could have torn the aorta with a sudden surge of blood pressure. There was a tear where he placed the stent. So next I asked him if/when I would be able to resume my work outs. He said to give it four weeks and then ease back into it. I think it's sort of funny that so many people get serious about excercise only after their heart attack. I had sort of already gotten pro-active.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

John K

Post by John K » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:52 am

Glad to hear that you are OK and thank God you got to the hospital. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

galamb

Post by galamb » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:52 pm

Yes, glad you are doing ok now Dave.

Remember, you have an "obligation" to outlive the ex-wife.

So give up the weights for something more tranquil like boating - it's easier on the blood pressure :)
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:08 am

I have a question for anyone that's been through this? These past few days, I cannot remember when I've felt so good. But, if I get up and do anything in the least bit physically taxing, I like.. hit an energy wall and have to immediately sit down while I catch my breath.

Is this normal after a heart attack?

Return to “Miscellaneous”