epoxy use on pressure treated lumber

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

John K

epoxy use on pressure treated lumber

Post by John K » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:51 am

I am working on a non-boat project and have to laminate some 5/4 treated wood. The plans call for tite bond II, but I think epoxy would be much better and last longer. I am thinking I will get the treated from lowes as their wood is not as wet and shud laminate better.

Has anyone used epoxy on treated before and how did it work?

Bill Edmundson

Re: epoxy use on pressure treated lumber

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:37 am

John

I've had no luck with epoxy and PT. I can't even get paint to stick to it.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

gdcarpenter

Post by gdcarpenter » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:09 am

See if you can find kiln dried PT lumber. I have used Titebond III on dry PT with no problems, though you do need a fairly tight fitting joint. I would recommend 'roughing' the surfaces up with 80 grit discs on a RO sander. I have glued up PT 2X6's edge to edge to make a solid door using Titeboard III and 10 years of exposure to northern Ontario winters and the door is still solid.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

galamb

Post by galamb » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:14 pm

Epoxy can be "picky" to what it sticks to.

Pressure Treated "used to" mean arsenic but now there are countless concoctions that are used to "treat" the wood. Knowing "what" it was treated with may give you a few options.

I can't elaborate on the Titebond. Have heard many good things about it but never tried it myself. I have successfully glued many a piece of pressure treated lumber and plywood with polyurethane glue (PL Premium in the caulking tube or Elmers Glue-All Max/Gorilla glue - with the latter two you don't get a "pretty" lamination - the glue does tend to "foam" out of the joint, but if you aren't going for looks it ends up stronger than the wood)
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

jcallends

Post by jcallends » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:20 am

I have made about two dozen scarf joints on PT wood in my build during the past five years all on 1x6 and 2x4 sizes with marine epoxy, have yet to see a failure. Often times PT lumber is still wet from the treatment when you buy it and you have to wait for it to dry. A clue to this problem is that a board will be very heavy. PT boards should weigh the same as untreated lumber. Also if you make a cut you can usually see if the inside is dry or not. In addition Titebond aliphatic glue, the cream colored kind not the white, will hold up well in wet environments such as rain or snow but is not recommended for water immersion as in the hull of a boat.

John K

Post by John K » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:55 pm

Appreciate the information. My gluing will not be done until fall or winter, so I am going to buy the PT now and let it air dry until it gets down to 12%. I have a moisture meter to check it and have a place to stack it. I may try some different glues and epoxy on some PT that I have in the shop that is dry.

Also have found that Lowes has the driest PT around here. I have never found dried PT. If anyone knows of a source north of Birmingham, it maybe worth buying, rather than letting wet PT dry.

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:48 pm

:D How about Heavy Duty Construction & Subflloor Adhesive OSI SF450 All weather Bites into Wet,Frozen and Treated Lumber.Even comes in 28 oz.tubes.? :roll: Good for anything :roll: :roll:
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

John K

Post by John K » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:18 am

I found some dry PT at Lowes about a month ago. Not much deck building going on, so these had dried in the store. I have the laminations all done and painted. The epoxy worked well on them.

Return to “Miscellaneous”