Great Loop - Bucket list

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Bill Edmundson

Great Loop - Bucket list

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:22 pm

As I start to see the end of the Bartender build...(it's out there.) Wouldn't it be cool to have a fleet to do the Great Loop! Or, pick up and drop people along the way.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Mannanj

Re: Great Loop - Bucket list

Post by Mannanj » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:15 pm

Bill Edmundson wrote:As I start to see the end of the Bartender build...(it's out there.) Wouldn't it be cool to have a fleet to do the Great Loop! Or, pick up and drop people along the way.

Bill
No way I'll have my Barellback finished in time for this trip, but that's on my list too.

My item to check off this summer is to take my aged (1995) motor home and visit The Four Corners, The five National parks/monuments in Southern Utah' The North Rim of The Grand Canyon, Banff in Canada, The Alcan to Alaska for about six weeks then back home via Omaha and Boone, NC.

Just hope the fuel prices stay low and the money doesn't run out!
Msgt. Mannan Thomason USAF (Ret)
Bucket List Check Off In Progress
Starting Barrelback

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:14 pm

Mannanj wrote:
Bill Edmundson wrote:As I start to see the end of the Bartender build...(it's out there.) Wouldn't it be cool to have a fleet to do the Great Loop! Or, pick up and drop people along the way.

Bill
No way I'll have my Barellback finished in time for this trip, but that's on my list too.

My item to check off this summer is to take my aged (1995) motor home and visit The Four Corners, The five National parks/monuments in Southern Utah' The North Rim of The Grand Canyon, Banff in Canada, The Alcan to Alaska for about six weeks then back home via Omaha and Boone, NC.

Just hope the fuel prices stay low and the money doesn't run out!
Gas prices in Utah is climbing again better be quick it's about 2.40 now
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

kens

Post by kens » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:13 am

Bill
There is couple ways to do the Loop,
you can do it all at once, this will take several months. the part about this makes me wonder how to arrange to recieve your basic mail, necessary supplies, (medicines?), food stores, etc.

You can do it in sections, and for boats our size, you likely would trailer to/from the various points along the way. But how do you arrange for the truck/trailer to get moved around? this method might take years to complete.

I sometimes wonder if there would be a sustainable need for a tow service that cater to boat owners along the inland waters, and loopers.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:14 am

:D What is the great loop?I know,everyone going on(who is this idget that doesn't know that)Hey,I know-if you want to practice for it ,you could come up to Lakeof the Woods and follow the shoreline all the way around. :D(according to Bing,shoreline lenth of 24,999 miles)
Last edited by chugalug on Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:28 am

Tim

The Great Loop is a route that circles the eastern half of the US. Down the Mississippi, east along the Gulf coast, usually across the Florida canal, up the east coast, canal across NY to the great lakes, around to Chicago and the canal back to the Mississippi River.

I may have a little of that wrong. But, you get the idea.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

kens

Post by kens » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:59 am

There are numerous routes to the Loop. The full effect of the loop is to go up the Atlantic to enter St. Lawrence seaway to Great Lakes down to the gulf and go around the Florida Keys and back up the Atlantic. The shortcut is the Hudson River/Erie Canal and the lake okechobee canal across florida
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:52 am

This trip sounds like it would be a lot of fun. If I was by myself, I would set aside some time to do it in my Vera Cruise when she's finished. But my wife would kill me if she had to spend an extended period on such a small boat with me. Oh well.

:( :(
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:03 pm

Carl

So would Lauren! So, what's your point? :lol:

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:56 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: 8)
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

slug

Post by slug » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:30 pm

Problem with going up the St. Lawrence is just that. Nearly impossible in a displacement hull. Besides, who would want to miss the Hudson? And NYC! The Erie canal!

Doug

Bob Maskel

Post by Bob Maskel » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:37 am

Just noticed this Bill...when you decide to do it, even in chunks, let me know. I'm in!!
Bob
Sea Knight on the water/Malahini in progress

gap998

Post by gap998 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:51 am

If it makes you guys over there feel better about fuel prices, a gallon of petrol (gas) costs £5.40 ($8.25) over in the UK :(
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:59 am

I was just talking about that the other day with the taxi driver on the wat to Portlethen from the Aberdeen Airport. Told him for one, I don't think my truck could go down some of the roads and pass someone, at least I wouldn't want to drive and two I couldn't afford to drive it with the 6.7 liter Diesel engine I have in it! :shock:

Bob Maskel

Post by Bob Maskel » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:15 pm

I'm in. Let me know the itinerary!!
Bob
Sea Knight on the water/Malahini in progress

Return to “Miscellaneous”