Great Loop - Bucket list

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Bill Edmundson

Re: Great Loop - Bucket list

Post by Bill Edmundson » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:20 pm

Bob

We have the stepson camped out in our house again. I have so much motivation to finish this boat and GO!

It would almost work to leave a Gathering and head south. Then be well on the way north in the spring. Across the northern stretch in early summer then back down for the next Gathering. Maybe, a little faster. I haven't mapped the distances or days. But, I'm ready to be a boat hermit.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

jamundsen

Post by jamundsen » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:18 pm

Hey
When are you guys doing this?
Sounds like fun even if it takes years
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:20 pm

John

Just beer talk right now. I need a boat first.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:33 pm

Any ideas about how long it would take? I'm thinking 50 to 100 miles a day. Then there are weather delays. and spousal visits. I know it depends on the route chosen and side events. And of coarse the boats!

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

kens

Post by kens » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:50 pm

100 miles per day would be aggressive, in my opinion.
I have run 60 miles on offshore runs, and it makes a long day.
One of the River Runs at Hales Bar we locked thru and went up river. I figured 110 miles for the day, it was a very long day. The locks was not slow that time either.
It is easy to say your boat can make 20knots, BUT, it takes time to get breakfast, fuel, make the 'run' , then have time to find a fuel dock, then eat your dinner (where is the restaurant?), then time to find accommodations?

Are you going to cook, eat, clean dishes on the boat?
Accommodations? You going to sleep on the boat every night?
Showers? Bathroom breaks?
Where you gonna get freshwater refills?

Just the logistics involved will slow down the trip, 100 miles/day would likely be aggressive planning.
My guess would be a hotel shower/room alternating nites with boat stays.
How does Bob Maskel do it?
Raymacke?
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:55 pm

Ken

I think the 50 miles a day would be aggressive. I just wanted other input. Thanks!

Are you & Flor going to make G9?

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:50 pm

I've been following a guy online doing what he claims to be the first Great Loop of a motor-less vessel. He just finished this past week! His boat is a home-made kit boat for row and sail only. Some days he would make 60-70 miles! He spent 5 years doing the loop in the summers only and at the end of the summer he would store the boat and head home and return the next summer. He is from TN and started and finished near Memphis. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaRGwshTIsI Amazing.

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:52 pm

I think it would be great to do the Great Loop in a huge fleet of Tubby Tugs - all together. We could even pilot them in military formation.

What does everyone think? Who's in?
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

slug

Post by slug » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:50 am

We have done the eastern seaboard part (Lake Ontario to the Abacos and back) on our sailboat (2000/2001) and the Trent system to Killarney (2012,2013) and the Rideau to Ottawa (2014) in the Titan.
I can seriously tell you the worst part of the trip was through the southern part of Florida. You would not survive in a Tubby Tug. There are idiots out there on that stretch of the Intracoastal (some just kids in cigarette boat) who have no skills, manners, or courtesy. All the rest, including most of northern Florida, was great.
IF YOU WANT TO, you will meat some incredible friendly and helpful people. Its entirely up to you.
We had people offer us their vehicles, deliver us for groceries, give us fish, help us catch fish, offer us docking at their home, give us valuable advice. And there are no racial borders. But again, I stress its all up to you and your approach and attitude, no matter where you travel or what country.

Doug

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:28 pm

slug wrote:You would not survive in a Tubby Tug....
No, of course not in ONE Tubby Tug, but I'm talking a couple hundred of them all together!! :lol:

Actually, it was a joke but I guess I was thinking on a "different" wave length. LOL
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

kens

Post by kens » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:51 pm

Bill Edmundson wrote:Ken

I think the 50 miles a day would be aggressive. I just wanted other input. Thanks!

Are you & Flor going to make G9?

Bill
A big part of how much milage is 'aggressive' has to do with how much 'retired' you want to be.
If, you want to awake at 6am every morning, and head out, and run until 5pm, then, yeah, you can make the 100 miles per day.
But, that way of running sounds too much like a regular work a day job.
If you want to run and feel retired, then 64 miles a day is much better. I chose 64 as the number for a 20mph boat to average 16mph, and then run for 4 solid hours. 16mph x 4 = 64. just a number off top of my head.
I am still waiting for Ray and Bob to chime in how many miles they can make in a day.

We don't know yet if we can make it. Life gets in the way sometimes.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:06 pm

Ken

I think your right at about 4 hours a day average. You would probably want to have some time in Savannah, Charlestown, ... If the timing was right catch the Mystic CT show...

We hope you can come next month.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

raymacke

Post by raymacke » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:08 pm

Somehow I missed this thread but I will jump in now. In the Cabin Skiff I usually would average about 120 to 140 miles a day. My best one day run was coming back from Chattanooga one time when I managed 220 miles with 5 locks. But trust me that was nuts - sun up to sun down stopping only for the locks. Things were going well so I just pushed to see what I could do but can't say it was a lot of fun.

In the Skiff I ran long days and enjoyed it but those trips were only for 5 or 6 days max. Would I want to do that day after day? No way. Like kens said it would be too much like work. AND I guarantee my wife would have nothing to do with it.

I don't think the question is "How far CAN I go" but rather "How far do I WANT to go." Personally I think a time limit makes more sense than mileage and for me a four average sounds like a good goal. I am sure there will be days when many miles need to be covered for one reason or the other and you just do it but these should be the exception. On the other hand I have read were Loopers have come to a location and found they really enjoy the spot and will stay for a few days,a week or even more. I have read MANY articles written by people that have completed the loop and I can't remember it ever being said, "I wish we had done it faster." Most preach the opposite and warn against not taking your time and taking it all in. There is so much to see and do. For us it will truly be a trip of a lifetime and I do not want to rush it.

The Loop is usually stated as being about 6000 miles. In the True Grit cruising at 6.5 MPH and averaging 4 hours a day (26 miles) it would take about 7.5 months. But in reality I don't think we will be able to maintain anywhere near that pace. There will just be too many places we want to stop and see. We have never been on the east coast and there is so much history. I think we could spend a month just in Chesapeake Bay. And then there is the Eire Canal and the other canals in New York and Canada. Again so much to see. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if we only get so far before winter and either leave the boat or go get the trailer and drag it home for the winter. Then in the spring return to continue the adventure.

Once retired and cruising my goal will be not to have a goal. Each day whether we cruise or not and how far will simply depend on our mood. After 47 years of work I can't think of a better way to waste a few years.
So Many Rivers,
So Little Time....

tsmitherman

Post by tsmitherman » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:41 pm

Ray sounds like an old trawler Captain! :lol:

We did a little over 1000 miles of the loop (backwards) when we brought our trawler from Ft. Pierce, FL to Demopolis, AL. At an average of about 58 miles, and 10 hours at the helm, we made the trip in 18 days.

If I was doing that length of trip again, I'd want at least twice the time to do it, so I could average no more than about 25-30 miles per day, or 4 or 5 hours at the wheel.

Oh, and thats with an autopilot. :wink:
Tom
------------------------------
36' 1969 Willard Aft-Pilothouse Trawler
Blog: www.genesisboat.blogspot.com

Knot-So-Fast (BoJest) SOLD

"It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one can't do." - Garfield

964roadster

Post by 964roadster » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:29 pm

Just came across this and made me think of this thread.
America's Great Loop by Medpad
https://appsto.re/us/zAouM.i

Return to “Miscellaneous”