Olds cool down

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Lowka53

Olds cool down

Post by Lowka53 » Sun May 31, 2015 8:03 am

Ferg Butler posted on face book that Old Cool has sunk she got swamped. He is ok but boat is about forty foot down under water :shock: :(
Quite Old cool went down just north of black island on lough Ree
yesterday at about 4.00 I got swamped by one wave killing the engine then the next two waves came side on and filled the boat she sank within a few seconds so had no time to even make an sos call but luckily Haventaclue Knowless was with me in his boat and was able to fish me out of the water
and thankfully I lived to tell the story. So sorry to her this Ferg
ferg's old cool.jpg
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

Bill Edmundson

Re: Olds cool down

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sun May 31, 2015 9:09 am

OH CRAP :!: I hate this.

Glad Fergal is OK.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

gdcarpenter

Post by gdcarpenter » Sun May 31, 2015 9:55 am

What a horrible fate! Fortunate nobody was injured or worse. Kinda makes one rethink the 'floatation' issue.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Sun May 31, 2015 2:18 pm

This is TERRIBLE NEWS!!!! So sorry to here this but glad Fergy is OK.

Roberta :shock: :( :( :( :( :shock: :( :( :(
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

kens

Post by kens » Sun May 31, 2015 2:30 pm

Scary stuff.
I almost went overboard couple weeks ago.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

bob smith

Post by bob smith » Sun May 31, 2015 3:16 pm

Fergal,
We are all sad for your loss but glad you chose not to go down with the ship. There will be another/better "Olds Cool" and we can't wait to see her.
BTW, We are coming your way next week on a tour. Perhaps I can buy you a drink1
Bob Smith
Chester, SC
Bob Smith
Chester, SC

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Sun May 31, 2015 8:29 pm

Wow crazy! I saw the videos he posted earlier in the day before the sinking and it looked like he and a friend in another boat were on an inland lake and I've seen us all run in rougher water at Lake Nickajack. Must of been a heck of a boat wake.

fergal butler

Post by fergal butler » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:14 am

Thanks guys not my best weekend boating but at least there will be more to come it could have very easily been a different story.

Old's Cool is now sitting at the bottom of Lough Ree in about 40 foot of water We left portlick bay at about 12.30 and headed to Killinure point to meet up with some other boats then we headed to Lanesborough for the summer prom festival the water was quite calm and it was a pleasant trip up, arriving at about 2.00 we stayed for an hour and then headed back to portlick after about half an hour we got hit with a large hail shower and the waves got alot bigger very quick we were doing 10 knots just to keep the bow up above the waves but I came down off one hard and nosed dived into another swamping the boat and killing the engine, with no forward motion I then got turned sideways and hit by two more waves that filled the boat and down she went all within 30 seconds I didn't even have time to make a SOS call but luckly the other boat that was with me saw what happened and came back to pull me out of the water, the important thing is that I'm here to tell the story and thats all that counts.
These are the last few photos of her and a little video of us heading that morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-z8U7OFM-o

Last edited by fergal butler on Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:38 am

I cringed when I read this. So sorry sir.

Andy chance of salvaging the hull? To my mind, if she is totally encapsulated, there is a chance as long as she doesn't stay under too long. The engine is surely a loss--electrical too, but that beautiful wood hull might yet have some hope.
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:23 am

Fergal, I am truly sorry to hear this. I am glad to hear that you are okay. Very fortunate that you had another boat nearby. What a freak accident. As Andy has said, perhaps there is still hope in recovering the hull and perhaps even the engine (with a rebuild of course). Good luck with what ever direction you go with.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

rbrandenstein

Post by rbrandenstein » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:10 am

Oh wow! Glad you are OK. Hope you can salvage some of your hard work.

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:34 am

Too bad about the sinking.Were you wearing a flotation device.if not ,I bet you are considering it now.How is the local police? handling it.Up here if you sink a boat,car truck,snowmobile ,the DNR will fine you for each day its still in water.if you can't get it out -you have to pay someone to retrieve it.can get expensive.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

fergal butler

Post by fergal butler » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:46 am

No problem with the police here they are more likely to buy me a pint to help drown my sorrows than give me a fine. :D I was indeed wearing a lifejacket and always do also I try and have a back up boat with me whenever I go out and thank God I did. My insurance will pay for the search and recovery and if they find her I'm sure she can be rebuilt as it is fresh water.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:00 pm

Fergal

This kills me. Please report your experience. Hopefully, none of us will ever need the knowledge. I'm sure you can pull this off. Butch Barto had major damage to his Tahoe in a fire! He rebuilt her.
All support of the people here!

I'm sure the boat itself is good. You probably should have a rebuild on the engine. And, I'd just re-pull all of the electrical. That will be easier than chasing electrical demons from now on.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

gap998

Post by gap998 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:49 am

Absolutely gutted to hear this Fergal - Next time you're this side of the Irish Sea, I'll buy you a pint!

Iechyd dda!

Gary
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

Return to “Miscellaneous”