Olds cool down

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

wingridr

Re: Olds cool down

Post by wingridr » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:23 pm

Fergal,

Have you had any luck finding your boat? Been wondering how the search is going.

fergal butler

Post by fergal butler » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:38 am

Another boat found on Tuesday this looks promising as you can just about see the shadow of the bow meaning that it has not been there long and settled down into the silt also there is a bright spot that could be the engine block it also looks a bit out of shape this could mean she is at an angle but we will have to wait a week or two till the divers can have a look, fingers crossed :)

Thats 10 boats found so far :shock: but as you can see these two look a bit different.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:42 am

Fergal

We want her found! Every builder has feelings about this! Let us know.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

jenko

Post by jenko » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:50 am

looks promising :D

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:48 pm

Sure hope you find her!!! With that cold deep water, hopefully she'll dry out OK.

Roberta :| :| :| :|
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:58 pm

I love all the History and Discovery Channel shows on searching for treasure and wrecks at sea, but this one gives me heartache.

I'd love to see her found before the point of no return is reached.
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

wingridr

Post by wingridr » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:21 pm

I Hope for your sake that is your cracker box down there. Interesting you have found 10 boats! Wonder why they were never recovered?

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:12 pm

10 boats found! That's amazing that many boats are in a small area and that none of them were the one so far! Careful bringing her up, I have heard of recovery crews doing far more damage than the incidents themselves.

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:24 pm

Sounds like a BAD JUJU area! :shock:

fergal butler

Post by fergal butler » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:06 am

Yep it seems to be a bit of a black spot alright :shock: and is really slowing down the search, I think back in the old days if a boat got too bad to use anymore they just tow them out and sank them in the middle of the lake :roll: so now I'm looking for a needle in a haystack thats has lots of needles I just have to find the right one :roll:

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:47 am

Do you know anyone that is a certified scuba diver?

It's been a long time and I haven't stayed current. But I had a PADI certification back in the early 90s. Once a scuba diving friend of mine and i were coming back to Nashville from a dive at a local quarry. We stopped to get gas and another man that was filling up saw our tanks and BCs. He told us about his house boat on Kentucky Lake. He had kept it in a particular slip at his marina for years. He went on to say that it had been many years but his wife had dropped a very expensive diamond ring off the houseboat and they had never been able to recover it. He offered us $100 each if we could find it and, even if we didn't, he would cover us the gas to drive to the marina and whatever price it cost to fill our scuba tanks. My friend and I figured: "What the heck? Let's go up there and see what we could find."

So we made plans to go the following weekend. We had an idea of taking a piece of rebar with a long rope tied to it. We would drop to the bottom under the houseboat, jam the rebar into the mud and then let the rope guide us in a circular pattern as we felt along the lake bottom with our hands. Are you ready?

It honestly took us less than five minutes to find that ring.

See if there is a local dive shop where someone would be willing to help you for the cost of gas and air.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

fergal butler

Post by fergal butler » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:28 am

Hi Dave, Yep I have had a dive team out a few times with no luck it's quite a big area and NO I'm am not paying the fuel cost for you and your mate to come over and have a look :lol: Good job finding the ring that gives me some hope :D

bob smith

Post by bob smith » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:39 am

Fergal,
Noticed you were logged on. Any update on Olds Cool? Have you tried magnetic ranging?
Bob Smith
Chester, SC

fergal butler

Post by fergal butler » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:05 am

Hi Bob, nothing yet the weather has been bad hear lately so the divers haven't got a chance to go down yet they are planning to go on the 21st if the weather is ok.

If they do find her I have been trying to figure out the best way of getting her up as I can't afford to pay for a salvage crew but I do have divers I can use, any tips or advice welcome.

One idea is to use skip bags "not necessarily in the position in the pic" to float her up and tow her to shallow water where it will be easy to pump her out or just load on the trailer, I did look at lift bags but they are very expensive.

Another idea is to winch her up, the lifting eyes are still on the engine so it would be easy for the divers to just clip on the cable "synthetic rope" and winch between two boats and again bring to shallow water.

jamundsen

Post by jamundsen » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:18 am

I have been following this story and it is truly sad. We all hope you find your boat. Early on in my build I decided against flotation materials as they are not required for my size boat here in the states. But after watching this thread and the heartache and hearing about Butch getting hit by a jetski I went back and pulled all the interior out and added flotation. I thank you for sharing as I would not have added the flotation without your experience.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

Return to “Miscellaneous”