I Must Confess!

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

tsmitherman

I Must Confess!

Post by tsmitherman » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:00 am

OK, I admit it, I've gone over to the dark side. I didn't mean for it to happen, but it did.
I bought a ....... PLASTIC BOAT !!! :shock:

After the medical issues I've had the last 2 years, I began to question whether I wanted to spend the next 5 years in the backyard building a boat, or just buy something and enjoy the water now. Glenda and I both enjoy cruising, but she has no interest in the building process, so it seemed the logical thing to do to buy a trawler.

In searching for the 'perfect' boat, I communicated with the owner of "Dusty Weather", a 1969 Willard Aft-Pilothouse trawler, and after driving to Fort Pierce, FL to see it, Glenda, Abby and I fell in love with it. We closed on the purchase on May 27th, and left the next day, bringing her back to Alabama. As I write this, we are in West Bay, in the Panhandle - over halfway to what will be her new home port- Demopolis, AL.
image.jpg
If you are still reading, and not ready to excommunicate me from the forum, here are some specs on the boat:

Length- 36
Beam - 11-6
Displ - 17 tons
Engine - 140 Isuzu diesel

There were only 6 of the 36' Willard Aft-Pilothouse models built. Aside from Dusty Weather, 3 are currently on the West Coast, one (Trident) is in TN, and the other sank in the Bahamas several years ago.

I was just wondering ...... If I build a wooden dinghy for the trawler, could I still come to the Gathering?? :idea: :o

PS.. We are posting details of our trip home on the KnotSoFast blog site: http://www.tomstug.blogspot.com
Tom
------------------------------
36' 1969 Willard Aft-Pilothouse Trawler
Blog: www.genesisboat.blogspot.com

Knot-So-Fast (BoJest) SOLD

"It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one can't do." - Garfield

chugalug

Re: I Must Confess!

Post by chugalug » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:25 am

:D Good to see you back here.I've been following your E-mail blog -interesting.What does she draw and is the mast for a sail or for fishing?can imagine it being a hindrance crossing under bridges.read on your site that you had rough waters on your crossing the big water-good to see you folks safe. :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:31 am

Good for you Tom! Even if they disown you youre sure to make a lot of new friends with a boat like that! I hope your blog will be busier than ever now. You absolutely need a wooden tender. Hope to see you at Hales Bar again friend. Excuse me while I go catch up on your blog.

Chris

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:50 am

The first pic of the Gulf Shrimp Boats, on day 8, the white one on the right looks to be a DESCO Boat. (Diesel Engine Supply Company) these boats were built on an assembly line in Florida ages ago. There's a kewl you tube video on it that looks like it was originally filmed on 8mm.

Glad to see yawl are having fun. Tough luck on the hook bud, but looks like he knew it was going.

Have fun and enjoined the blog! Dusty Weather is a looker!

tsmitherman

Post by tsmitherman » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:31 am

Thanks for the comments, everybody.
I'm not sure why but the photo shows up upside down on my post, but double clicking on it corrects it.
Chugalug, the draft is 4-6. That was really the only negative thing about the boat for us. We wanted a shallower draft, but all boats are compromises.
The sail is in a bag on the boat. I haven't looked at it and the previous owner (for 23 years) didn't use it. The mast is about 30' and yes, it was a pain at the bridges in South FL. We will probably remove the mast and store it.
Tom

"It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one can't do." - Garfield

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:35 am

Tom,

You'll never be disowned by us! As long as Abby is happy... :)

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:23 am

Tom

You, Glenda and Abbey are always welcome! As a matter of fact, the mini-tug would make a good dingy. The wheel house is removable. It also has oars and oarlocks. It will sit on a flat surface. Lauren has even said she would give it up.

We exchange a few PM's a while back. I think this was your best option.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:31 am

:D Maybe you could build a "crows nest" on top of that mast.Bet Abby would enjoy the view. :D

John K

Post by John K » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:15 am

I love it.

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:09 pm

:D got to reading your last posting and got to looking at your new-to-you boat;is that pointed on stern too. would be handy in a following sea.nice rig,Tom and Glenda.and Daisy too.Jon-Boy says Hi to Daisy

tsmitherman

Post by tsmitherman » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:02 pm

We made it to Demopolis last night about 7:45, ending our 1040 mile trip.
The boat did great, and the Isuzu diesel engine never missed a beat the whole way!

Enjoyed the trip, but we are glad to be home for a day or two. Then the work begins on the "new" boat.
Tom

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:16 pm

Tom,
You rested up yet and working on that trawler yet bud? Just curious. Really enjoyed the blog, and that Tarpon Springs seemed like a very keel little spot. I enjoyed seeing those pics of those Greek fishing boats.

Looking forward to reading some more on Dusty Weather maintenance.

PB

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:16 am

Tom,

You're killing us here. Lol any updates on Dusty Weather maintenance ?

tsmitherman

Post by tsmitherman » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:50 pm

Sorry for the delay. Here is an update on what's happened since we got to Demopolis:

The boatyard at Kingfishers Bay Marina, operated by Ed Wall as "Warrior Tombigbee Yacht Services" pulled the mast from Dusty Weather while Glenda and I went to Atlanta to see our newest grand-daughter, who was born while we were bringing the boat home from Florida. This gave us clearance to get the boat under a covered slip, out of the sun for the first time in over 23 years!

I originally intended to replace the old 2-way 110 volt/propane refrigerator with a 3-way unit that I could run on 110 AC, 12 volts DC, or propane. But as I looked, I couldn't find a 3-way unit that was really efficient in the 12 volt mode, so I disconnected the propane and installed an Engel brand 110/12v fridge/freezer. It draws a max of 2.7 amps on 12v, and averages about 1/2 that over 24 hours. It's a little smaller than the one that was in the boat, but should be large enough.

I assume that at some time in the past there was a 12v refrigerator installed, as there was 12ga wiring run to a terminal block under the sink, which is controlled by a breaker marked "refrigeration" on the main panel box. (How lucky can you get!) The propane alarm system had been wired into this block and that was the only other thing feeding from it, so I just connected new wires from it to the refrigerator and plugged in the 110 at the plug beside it. Everything worked great. I left the propane sensor that was mounted in the cabinet behind the refrigerator, figuring it couldn't hurt to have one there in addition to one at the base of the oven. The smaller size of the new unit left me room to add a small drawer underneath for needed storage. The only thing left on this project is to match some stain on the trim work and new drawer. Glenda will have to help with that since I'm colorblind.

I installed a couple of new fans (small 12v units) to make sleeping a little more comfortable, since the 45 year old A/C units need to be replaced. I'm still looking at options, but I think two of the small, self contained water cooled units will work well. The old ones are located in the main berth cabin and in the galley, and I'll probably put the new ones in the same place. Due to the cost, that project will have to wait until Spring.

My Nature's Head toilet arrived and is temporarily mounted in the boat. The old leaky, stinky, non-legal unit is on it's way to a landfill somewhere. I kept the manual pump, thinking I might plumb it up as an emergency manual bilge pump (after a thorough cloroxing). The seacock that served the overboard pump out for the head is stuck in the open position and I didn't want to force it (although it is massive and could probably handle all I could dish out), so I left the air vent loop (which runs well above the water line) in place and removed the old head. As an extra precaution I plugged the toilet end of the discharge hose. The old vent line and water supply hose are still there, but I'll remove them and build an access panel to cover the other wiring and hoses that run beside the head. Then I'll need to wire the 12v fan and cut a vent hole for the new composting unit.

The old radar works, but it's a stand-alone unit that is probably original to the boat. I've done a little research and decided that even though it works, the new ones that are integrated into the chart plotter are so much better that I will probably not ever be satisfied with it (even if I spent the time to learn how to use it). So right now, I'm about 99% sure that the radar will come out, freeing up a lot of space in the pilothouse where the display is mounted.

The autopilot is another antique that will go. The decision here is not as hard to make, since it doesn't work anyway. Again, it doesn't make sense to spend time and money on a 40 year old unit when the newer ones are so much better. A new chart plotter and autopilot are on my wish list, but Glenda says the air conditioner comes first, so we are probably looking at a year or so.

I bought 4 warning light/buzzer combinations on e-bay, and plan on installing an additional bilge pump a few inches above the main pump, and wiring it to a buzzer in each cabin. If the bilge water gets up to the second pump (meaning the first pump isn't handling it), then the flashing lights and buzzer should let us know the second pump is on and that something is wrong.

The hydraulic stabilizer fins need their hydraulic pump rebuilt. The pump runs off a belt from the main engine and the plumbing seems straightforward. I think it is definitely worth the effort to fix or replace the pump so I can see what shape the rest of the unit is in. The good news is that I don't really need stabilizers on the river, and this project can wait till I have the time and $$ to tackle it.

One thing we have noticed a need for is some way to communicate when I'm in the pilothouse and Glenda is somewhere else on the boat. We have two options. One is the walkie talkies with earpieces that some boaters seem to like very well. The other is to install the old, but brand new hailer/intercom that the previous owner bought but never put in. It has 4 intercom connections, front and back 2-way hailers, and automatic fog, anchor, and several other horns sequences. It's probably 20 years old, but still in the plastic wrap.

This winter we'll haul the boat and do bottom paint. I wanted to do it now, but the heat has made me decide to wait. While its out, I'll replace all the hoses and rebuild the seacocks.

I sent the paperwork to the Coast Guard to change the name of the boat to "GENESIS". They have cashed my check, so I know they got the papers, but I have not idea how long it will take to get the OK from them. As soon as it's official, I will start a new blog for our travels.

Other than that, we've been rewiring fans and lights, changing over to LEDs, and taking short day trips with the kids and grandkids while we try to learn the boat. (I've backed into our slip several times now without a mishap!) :)
Tom

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:48 pm

Tom

You're right to watch the heat down here right now! I may have to come there and see this boat! If you need help one day let me know. I already owe you!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Miscellaneous”