Pontoon Bulldozer

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

raymacke

Pontoon Bulldozer

Postby raymacke » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:19 pm

Just got back from an interesting four day outing on Kentucky/Barkley Lakes. The tow down there was interrupted by a nasty storm that had me sitting it out for 20 minutes on an interstate ramp apron about 30 miles from the marina. Not a lot of rain but powerful wind. When I got there the power was off and stayed out for 6 1/2 hours. As more storms were predicted I decided to hang on the anchor for the night in the harbor which is somewhat protected.

And storm it did - 8"+ rain in about 3 hours. This time the wind wasn't bad but lightning that was unbelievable! For 3 hrs there was a lightning flashes no more than every 5 seconds. More than a little disturbing when sitting in the open in the middle of a harbor. :shock:

These are huge lakes but in the next 24 hrs the water came up 2 ft. I believe this is the highest level it has reached this year and as a result washed all the debris off the banks and out of the creeks. (note the color of the normally clear lake) The marina at Barkley State Park quickly became a catch basin for a bunch of this junk. Two rows of slips looked like this -

20160708_080243 (Medium).jpg

So how do you get rid of it? A pontoon bulldozer of course. I love the innovation and simplicity. Take a STD pontoon and attach a livestock gate to the top of the front railing. Add a heavy wire mesh to the gate to catch the smaller stuff and use it just as you would a blade on a dozer. I was amazed how well it worked.

20160708_093730 (Medium).jpg
So Many Rivers,
So Little Time....

Return to “Miscellaneous”