How did you find Glen-L?

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Andy Garrett

How did you find Glen-L?

Post by Andy Garrett » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:58 am

This post by JimBob in Chris' Zip R/C thread made me wonder how we all got here.

"Wow! That is nice! I took the opposite route. Was in a hobby store looking for models for my office. I ran across this 1940 Chris Craft barrel back model. In researching the internet for accuracy, I stumbled upon the Glen-L website. From there, I got my plans, and began my build.

Built the trailer from glen-l trailer plans scaled to 1:24. Made out of balsa and spare model parts.

Jim
"

As for me, my wife and I were frequent guests on others boats during weekends at the area lakes. Feeling like we were imposing, I started looking on the internet for what might be a fun used boat.
Knowing little or nothing about boats at that time, I chose to do an image search hoping to educate myself when something jumped out at me. A wooden boat pic was buried in the grid of pictures, and it certainly caught my eye. I had never seen many classics and was fascinated. I clicked on the pic and was taken to the Glen-L page.
Thus, my journey began.

Im not certain, but the pic might have been of Midnight Cry.
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

mrintense

Re: How did you find Glen-L?

Post by mrintense » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:34 am

Back in the mid 90's I was fortunate enough to go on several houseboat trips to Lake Shasta in California. The experience was so much fun that I just had to find a way to duplicate it. Of course, I quickly realized that houseboats were far too expensive for me to purchase. However, the owner of one of those boats had actually built his own.

This got me to thinking I could eventually do this. An oddly enough, in the town I lived in, there was someone actually doing this, however I never made it over there to talk to them. But the idea stayed with me over the years, to the point of trying to figure out how to get past what I considered the biggest stumbling block, where to get the pontoons. I even had a welder friend who was prepared to weld them up if I wanted to go that route. Well, finances being what they were, I never got around to that.

Then in 2010, I happened to find a company that sold pontoons on the internet. My finances were improving and I thought, maybe now is the time. But where to build it. Certainly not at my current house with it's postage stamp yard and HOA reminiscent of Nazi Germany.

Surfing around, I happened to come across the Glen L site and was immediately fascinated by the Wooden runabouts. I quickly found the builders forum and started hanging around there. I saw Roberta's Zip thread and Bill's Bartender thread and was enthralled. This looked like something I could do. When Roberta whipped out that Zip and the small hydroplane (can't remember the model), I thought, "wow she got those done fast. I could have a boat in just a few years!!"

So I started investigating and finally settled on the Vera Cruise. The rest is documented in the forum and on my blog. Of course, the amount of time needed is more than I thought it would be, but I have no regrets and look forward to the day when I can take mine out. Along the way, I have met many wonderful people and the whole experience has been great.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:26 pm

WOW, these are some cool stories. They certainly strike a chord with me.

Ok, so here's mine:

When I was a little kid, we had a friend of the family who built an outboard boat from plans he found in Popular Science. My dad helped him right the hull. Then, when the boat was complete, I got one of my first experiences ever in a boat at the lake. I immediately fell in love with the water and the lake environment. Of course, that extended to the salt water the first time we vacationed near the ocean. And our friend has always been known in our family as the neighbor that build his own boat. I always figured that I could do it too.

I've also always been somewhat of a loner and unafraid to run against the crowd. I have never felt the need to do what everyone else was doing unless they were doing something that I personally wanted to do. Buy the time I had grown into adulthood, I was sick of seeing plastic boats everywhere and I wanted something different. I had never seen a wooden boat at that time. I also realized that virtually all of the thousands and thousands of boats on all my local waters were open bow boats. I never liked riding in a boat's bow because it was always too rough. None of my friends, who had their own boats, ever used their open bow seats. It made me wonder what was the point of having an open bow if they weren't going to use that area? I would have rather had the bow closed so there could be a place to store life vests, cushions, water toys and coolers and such. One day, I was at a book store. It was circa 1979 to 1980. I was going through the magazine rack looking for a Hot Rod mag when I saw an issue of Wooden Boat. There was a classic Chris Craft on the front cover and that was it! I was hooked! I knew right then and there that this was what I wanted!

Yeah right. This was at least twenty years before the internet and there were no Chris Crafts to be had in my area. However, that magazine did have an ad for Glen-L in the back and I ordered the catalog. When the catalog arrived, there were a lot of plans but only three had anywhere close to the look that I lusted after with the Chris Craft on the cover of the WB mag - The Audeen, The Ski-King and the Mist Miss. I knew that, if I were to ever build one of these boats, it would be inconceivable that it would be powered with anything less then a V8. I was a hot rodder and I wanted POWER. So the Mist Miss was the boat that I thought would best satisfy my new cravings.

Back then, I don't know that anyone would even take a credit card order over the phone - not that I had a credit card anyway. But I picked up the phone and called the number. I talked to Glen himself. I sent him a Money Order for the price of a catalog and he fired a catalog right back at me. He must have trusted me for the money because the catalog came back so fast that it must have crossed paths with my money order. LOL.

So, after a little time had passed, I studied all the boats and decided the Mist Miss was definitely the boat I wanted to build. I got the money order together and called Glen-L back to see what the shipping would be and to get the entire cost of the plans, patterns AND the shipping. This time, I talked to Barry. I filled out the money order as soon as Barry gave me the total.

In the years since, I have long lost that catalog, but I still have the plans and patterns for the Mist Miss. I have guarded them carefully down through the years and it is STILL the main boat that I want to build.

And, of course, this all started a long friendship with Barry that continued well into the days when I was the moderator of this forum.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:29 pm

mrintense wrote:... HOA reminiscent of Nazi Germany.
NAWWW!!!! They don't do THAT!!

Twenty years I spent in the landscape business and I hate hate hate HOAs. I think they can best be described as a bunch of bratty children squabbling in their petty little sandboxes. LOL
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

garrech

Post by garrech » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:56 pm

I was searching the web for wooden boats and came across Mark Bronkalla's Riviera site, which in turn lead me here.

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:48 pm

Oh YES!! I remember finding his site, too. That was a really awesome thing he did when he documented his build. I kept thinking to myself:

"You mean to tell me that folks record their entire projects step by step and there's nothing in it for them other than simple posterity?"

The internet was really only just beginning to change our lives.

The best part about Mark Bronkalla's site is that it is still here;

http://www.bronkalla.com/index_boat.html

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:43 am

I didn't have a lot of boating experience. My father-in-law had a boat we would ski and fish off on the Ohio. While I was in college, my dad bought a 16ft aluminum Starcraft we would take on the Raritan Bay and around Sandy Hook into the Atlantic to drift for fluke. Both where lots of fun.

I never saw any Chris Crafts or like type boats, mostly just fishing boats. Then, I was watching "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" where they had the beautiful mahogany boats in Venice and they tore them up! From that point on I knew I wanted one.

Doing what I do for work can be very stressful and I would get on the computer and search the net for all kinds of things to escape the job for a few minutes. (I'm the boss. I can get away with it :lol:) One day I came across Glen-L's site and knew I would have to build one for myself. Even with Lisa claiming she'd divorce me. :lol: :lol: ( I knew she loved me too much :wink: )
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:45 am

After reading all of your story's I think I will go watch "on golden pond" again. Have to close my eyes in the "rock crash scene" though.

Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:51 am

I've never watched "On Golden Pond" I'm going to have watch just for the boat.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:23 am

After I finished my wood strip canoe, Lauren decided that she wanted one of those wooden boats like you might see on James Bond. I found Ken Hankinson Design after some searching. I ordered his catalog. We decided on the Tahoe 19. About the time I got the frames built, Ken retired and fell totally out of sight. His website defaulted to Glen-L.

I lurked a while on the forum. I saw something that I wanted more info about. So, I joined in Nov. 2005.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

rbrandenstein

Post by rbrandenstein » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:16 pm

This is an interesting topic. I actually found Glen-L twice: once BI (before Internet) and once AI (after Internet).

It all started when we lived in Massachusetts and got into sailing which we really enjoyed. However, a new job opportunity had us sell our sailboat and move to St. Louis in 1976.

Sailing was out of question due to raising a family and the lack of good sailing venues in the Midwest. However, I always dreamed of building a boat. It was the 80’s and my plan was to build a small daysailer I could easily transport to local lakes. During this time, like Dave, I subscribed to Woodenboat magazine and ordered their building book for the Shellback Dinghy. I also ordered information on Bolger’s instant boats and the Glen-L catalog for other sailboat plans, masts, and other boat parts. Over time I collected many pictures and plans of small sailing boats that I might decide to build when I had time and money.

This was all BI so the information was gathered from libraries, magazines, and mail order. It now seems so archaic and slow compared to how we gather information today.

Well, the small sailboat never got built. It was now 2010 and we found that after our family was raised, educated and employed, we had some additional cash and time, so we bought a condominium at Lake of the Ozarks in central Missouri. The lake is a dammed up river, with several tributaries and is long and thin with fluky winds and not well suited for sailing. Now my thoughts of building a boat turned to a classic wooden motor boat in the Chris Craft tradition. It also was AI, so I starting searching for information on building wooden boats. As others have noted, I also found Mark Bronkalla’s build site as well as Dave Lott’s Riviera build site. Both referred to Glen-L so I was home. I perused plans and builds for hours. From the forum, I also found Chris Atwood’s Zip and Art Atkinson’s Squirt blogs which I followed regularly. Based on my garage dimensions, I decided the Malahini was for me and I ordered the plans in February 2010, and started building in December 2010.

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:34 pm

Jimbob wrote:After reading all of your story's I think I will go watch "on golden pond" again. Have to close my eyes in the "rock crash scene" though.
Jim
But... but... but... they DID fix it before the end of the movie. :wink:
DrBryanJ wrote:I've never watched "On Golden Pond" I'm going to have watch just for the boat.
It's on Netflix right here:
https://www.netflix.com/watch/823169?tr ... 6a891d9529

I've seen the movie a bunch of times and I often go back to watch it again and again just to see the THAYER IV.

Also, starting at around 51 minutes, there is also a scene where Jane Fonda's character is swimming in the lake and sunbathing on this big floating swim platform. She's dressed in a very fine bikini and she looks fantastic! What I really like about this scene is that, when they made it, Jane Fonda was well into her 40s at that point in her life. I'm not kidding! She looks like she's about 25.

In the story, the Thayer family gets their mail delivered by boat and the mail carrier arrives during the bikini scene to bring the mail. He is also driving a really nice wooden utility boat that looks like a Lyman but I don't think it's a lapstrake - so I don't really know what kind of boat it is.

Here is a photo showing both the Thayer IV and the mail boat.
Attachments
OnGoldenPondBoats.jpg
Last edited by Dave Grason on Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:39 pm

Bill Edmundson wrote: I joined in Nov. 2005.
Yup! I remember when you joined, Bill.
rbrandenstein wrote: Sailing was out of question due to raising a family and the lack of good sailing venues in the Midwest.
So, I guess you're saying that, after sailing in Massachusettes, Creve Coeur Lake and Carlyle Lake just didn't get it for you? :lol: I don't understand!! Those are just WONDERFUL lakes for sailboats.... AREN'T THEY?

Ok, actually, I've sailed on both of those lakes and I fully understand your dismay. Creve Coeur is simply too small and too dang crowded. Carlyle is too shallow. ...at certain times of the year I suppose. It's been a really long time since I've been there but the last time, I was sailing a little mono-hull that had a center board that would swing up if it hit any underwater obstructions. I was WAY out in the middle of the lake and had a pretty good wind. But the boat just wouldn't move. I didn't know it but I had run aground. I thought my centerboard was fouled on something so I slid over the side into the water with the idea of diving under the boat to see what was wrong. But I suddenly found myself in water that was ankle deep. That was no fun.

I have to say that these are ALL good stories. I like reading them. Keep 'em coming guys.

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:09 pm

:D I've been around boating most all my life(since my folks moved up here to build a fishing camp in 1963)I grew up in Alumicrafts and Lund boats.I've owned lone star aluminum and even a Dorsette .I used to have an old Popular Mechanics book that had The Glen-L Swish plans in it .always dreamed of building a plywood boat.even ordered the cabin skiff plans a few years ago.My late brother told me I couldn't build one.(no experience).I used to build "country furniture" so figured that a boat is just a big cabinet.so ordered the Bo-jest plans.Still building(putting 1/2 " ply floor in over subfloor)I can't wait til I'm done so I can add onto boat shed and get going on another build.Something bigger.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

briand

Post by briand » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:47 pm

A boss recommended that I look at the site. He knew that I was looking to build something. But I'd already gotten a couple books, and when I looked at plans here, I didn't see a strip canoe 15' or less. My landlord wouldn't let me take out the kitchen wall, so I set it aside. I'd finished the first canoe, showed it to a friend and he said I should build something bigger. Remembered Glen-L and found a great community.

Of course, my friend's idea may have gone the wrong way since I have the plans for a 14' Zip. :lol:

Return to “Miscellaneous”