New Toys

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Bill Edmundson

New Toys

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:15 am

I bought these thinking some aerial pictures at the Gathering might be fun. I bought the big one first. Then I saw a video review. They said at over 1# you might need to start smaller with less damage to people and property. The large one is a Syma X8C. The smaller one is the Syma X5C. Both have cameras. The X5C can be flown indoors.

These are inexpensive quadcopters. The X8C was about $75. The X5C was $45. Plus spare parts & batteries of coarse. The hobby shop considered beginner level about $350.

Now to train me!

Bill
Attachments
101_3495.JPG
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

BayouBengal

Re: New Toys

Post by BayouBengal » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:32 am

Looks like a blast! What's the range?

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:46 am

Jeff

The X5C range is about 100 ft. The X8C range is about 100 yd.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

steveh41

Post by steveh41 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:29 pm

Very cool Bill! Should be able to get some great pics with those... you'll need to limber up the thumbs though! My 14 yr old has a simulator app that works for quads; I think it's a free download. Don't have a link handy but will check...

Regards,

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:29 pm

Does it float? 8)
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:52 am

Matt

I think it would float. But, you'd have to replace the guts.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

JasonG

Post by JasonG » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:29 am

Toys? Those look like tools to me! Perfect for checking your roof among many other things!

Jason

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:37 am

Jason

Our power companies are now using drones to check power lines after storms and in difficult terrain.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:25 pm

Question for our pilots and RC people. These quadcopters have 2 modes. Mode one: you point it on the ground. The right joystick is forward/back, & left/right always the same heading. The left joystick is power and rotate (changes the heading). Mode two: the right stick is forward/back & left/right rotate. The left is power and left/right translate. Which do you think is better?

I can see mode one would be better for taking pictures. Mode two is more like real flying. This copter does not have a real time camera view. You are kind of guessing at the picture.

BTW: Until you find out about the fine trim controls, these things are a pain. After you can fine tune, if you just let go of the sticks it just goes to hover.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:50 pm

Mode one is most intuitive. In the RC planes the right stick is elevator back-up, forward-down, right-bank right, left-bank left. The left stick is back-idle, forward-fast, left- left rudder turn, right-right rudder turn. Haven't flown quad copter yet. Did fly our grandson's regular copter. The electronics do make it easier than the old days.

BTW if any of the RC stuff that flies weighs more than 8 ounces, it needs to be registered with the FAA and an assigned number with name, address, and phone number needs to be place on or inside the craft. There are some very stringent rules that were enacted earlier this year. No flying within 5 miles of an airport and a 400 ft AGL limit. Commercial operators actually need to be licensed, but us hobbyists do not.

Roberta :roll:
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:40 pm

Roberta

Thanks for the reply. I think I need to just stay in Mode 1. The right stick, left/right banks the copter. The left stick will change the heading. BTW: these will do loops and barrel rolls. But, they are primarily camera platforms.

Thanks for the heads up on the FAA. The little one does not need it. The big one does. I understand that it's just about $5 per year. No big deal.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:43 pm

Here is a link to the FAA registration. I don't think you need to be an AMA member, but don't quote me on that.

https://registermyuas.faa.gov/

Sorry for being a killjoy.

Roberta :roll:
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:48 pm

Roberta

Not a Killjoy, I kind of already knew it. But, I didn't know the limits.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

jcallends

Post by jcallends » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:41 am

The FAA site is for anyone. I believe I read recently that AMA members don't have to register because they are already registered with AMA. The AMA rule, with a few exceptions, is that your AMA number has to be on whatever you fly. My experience has been that only a few members follow this rule.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:30 am

I'm surprised that the FAA wants to mess with this class of equipment. (Gov.) There must be Millions of these.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Miscellaneous”