Waxing philosophical and boat building

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Brad Tucker

Waxing philosophical and boat building

Post by Brad Tucker »

I'm sitting in my shop in Georgia in the US. I'm pretty much caught up on my Tahoe23, except for uphostery, windshield glass, trailer, and prop. For some reason, I got to thinking about this boat, and it's bigger picture for me: past, present and future.

I have learned over the past 3 years several things. Mainly, how obsessive building a boat can be. Boat building has become my place to get away from the real world of my job as a flight paramedic, for one thing. It has been the place I go to get away from the shift the day before, which can be an emotional roller coaster. People living, people dying, etc (I won't get into details). Not to mention other stresses put on you by the company: training, safety, more training, etc.

When I started this project, I was hoping my then 17 year old son would express interest. He didn't, just as I did with my father who built mandolins as a project to de stress his life as a trooper. Perhaps he will pick up the wood working bug later, as I did.

With all of that, I have come to realize many things about myself because of this project and have experienced many emotions.....pretty much all of them. Lately, though, I have been thinking about the future: the legacy of this project. After all, this will most likely be my crowning achievement in my woodworking. I would love for this boat to be passed down through generations long after I am gone. It is one thing that keeps me trying to do my best. I got to thinking about that. Perhaps this boat will keep my memory alive longer. Of course I'll be dead, but I still care about that. My biggest concern is that "Double Take" will go through an evolution. "That was Dad's boat"" "That was your Grandpa's boat." "That was your great uncle Tuck's boat." "Some family member built this old thing." "We don't know who built it. Burn it and recycle the stainless."

For some reason I have been thinking about these things over the last few months. I am curious as to whether anyone else has went through a similar thought process? Maybe I'm just losing my mind, but I am going to admit to my boat building brothers and sisters that I have cried before launch day, and surely will the day of.

This is a peek into the mind of a Georgia woodworker. And his ramblings. Boat building is MUCH more than building a boat. It's overly costly, overly consuming, and overly enjoyable. Overly worth it all. Building a boat is a great metaphor of life, and creates more eustress than distress.

Ozzieboat

Re: Waxing philosophical and boat building

Post by Ozzieboat »

I have no doubt that all of the builders on this forum think exactly the same as you and are of stable mind. To all Glen-L builders, all the best for 2017.

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

:D Except for me.I've always thought I must be unstable(building a boatshed and workshop before attempting to save money on building my boat)I've caught the boatbuilder bug a few years ago.Sometimes I wish I had a son to pass the boat down to but don't have any kids.the boat will probably be abandoned on some reef when I'm gone.Am researching another build if this one doesn't pan out the way I want :)
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

Brad Tucker wrote: When I started this project, I was hoping my then 17 year old son would express interest. ... Perhaps he will pick up the wood working bug later, as I did.
Is my math correct? If he was 17 three years ago, he's still young. All of us older guys well know that he will have a lot of changes to go through and he will do them in fine style has he gets to each point in his life. Your keeping the boat around and running will make a long lasting impression, especially if it becomes something of a family tradition to go boating at the lake over the summers. When he sees all the enjoyment it brings even after the enjoyment of the build, I don't see how anyone would not have a pleasantly happy emotional response.

I'm just saying......
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

slug

Post by slug »

Used to be I coudn't spell boatbilder and now I are one!
Doug

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

No Doug, that is not correct. You're supposed to say, "Now I IS one."

To say, "...I is one" am correct. :D
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Brad Tucker

Post by Brad Tucker »

:lol:

Brad Tucker

Post by Brad Tucker »

LOL at least you all "feel my pain"!

Scot2640

Post by Scot2640 »

I think it's honorable and noble to cement your legacy in something physical. Memories fade, people move on. Do you rember the sound of the voice of your grandfather? I don't, but I can hold his tools in my hand.

I've been building things for a long time, I love being an amateur woodworker, but something undefinable was missing. The discovery of boat building clicked, like it was what I was meant to do. I don't regret my life in the emergency services, I believe I've done some good. However these projects are for me, for my sanity and fulfillment.

Long after I'm gone, god willing, my work will bring smiles to the faces of my grandchildren as they feel the cool lake breezes wash over their faces on a warm spring day that reminds them summer is near. Their hands can touch what I touched and the connection to their history will be more than a piece of paper and a photograph.

Build your boat, build your legacy and live forever.
A ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what ships are for.

http://www.seadreamerproject.com
http://www.youtube.com/c/SixPointsWoodWorks

Brad Tucker

Post by Brad Tucker »

Scot2640 were you EMS too? I can honestly say I like my career helping others but my true passion is working with my hands and building. It is a wonderful stress reliever. If I don't have anything to do between tasks, I've been known to just sit next to my boat and think.....about non EMS related things. You know what I mean....

Brad Tucker

Post by Brad Tucker »

I do remember my grandfather's voice, and have never thought of it until now. Thank you.

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

I too sometimes wonder where my boat will be in 30 years. My kids currently don't have much interest in boating as a hobby, more as something to do with friends once in awhile. Who knows how they will feel in another 10 years or 20. Being somewhat selfish when it comes to my boat (it is my first and only boat after all), I am going to concentrate on getting it done so I can enjoy it before it's too late. What comes later, well, it will happen regardless of what I am doing now.

Still, it is interesting to think about it at times. I have seen stories where someone has memories of a boat they road while they were children and then much later in life somehow manage to get their hands on the same boat again after it has gone through several owners.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

bob smith

Post by bob smith »

Perhaps the most meaningful comment about my boat came from a then 15yr old grandson.
"Paw, you need to put that in the will."
Bob Smith
Chester, SC

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

Scot2640 wrote: Do you rember the sound of the voice of your grandfather? I don't, but I can hold his tools in my hand.
Now THAT is an absolutely NEW thought! It never occurred to me before and now, I will remember it forever. Thank you very much for those brief words of wisdom.

Scot2640

Post by Scot2640 »

Brad Tucker wrote:Scot2640 were you EMS too? I can honestly say I like my career helping others but my true passion is working with my hands and building. It is a wonderful stress reliever. If I don't have anything to do between tasks, I've been known to just sit next to my boat and think.....about non EMS related things. You know what I mean....
I was a volunteer in the fire service and was an EMT when I was young but that was a long time ago. I've worked in law enforcement for the last 19 years. It's been a good career and provided a decent living for my family but you never feel like you get anything done. When you come back the next day there is a whole new batch of victims and suspects. It's endless.

Wood working and boat building is so rewarding because at the end of the day you can look and see the progress you made, however little. Plus it's calming and no one is drunk and trying to fight me!
A ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what ships are for.

http://www.seadreamerproject.com
http://www.youtube.com/c/SixPointsWoodWorks

Return to “Miscellaneous”