Holiday Greetings

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

BruceDow

Holiday Greetings

Post by BruceDow » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:05 pm

Folks.

I received a wonderful call from Mr. Hot Rod on Christmas Day. We had a long chat to catch up personally. He gently chided me for my recent absence from this forum, so I committed to him that I would drop in to say "Hi".

For those of you who are my Facebook friends, there will not be much news in this update, but I realize that many of us are not connected "over there".

Part of the reason for my recent "forum silence" is that I have not been active with the boat for a while. That is due to some some major (positive) life changes we have made. My dear spouse had an opportunity to take a great academic position at a small university in Nova Scotia. I was able to arrange a work transfer. So we have pulled up all of our roots in Ontario, and moved 1,800 km (about 1,000 mi) to the Ocean.

Much of the year was spent selling our home and our vacation property, and getting everything moved to our new homes in Nova Scotia. We are renting a house in Antigonish, Antigonish Harbour on the Northumberland Strait, and we have a small apartment in Halifax, overlooking the Halifax Harbour, just a few steps from the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic.

The boat (Monaco - "Gemma") has been running well, but did not get in the water this year, due to the move. She is now safely in a storage barn near Antigonish, and we are looking forward to getting her in the water again next season. In addition to the ocean, there are lots of fantastic lakes in Nova Scotia.

For those of you who have met my Father, I am pleased to report that he is now doing well. We had a difficult year or so, which ended with him losing a leg to amputation. But that proved to be a blessing, because he is no longer fighting the infections that arose as a result of some lower leg circulatory problems he had. He is now back at home, and managing very well. He goes out to physiotherapy and to the gym several times a week. He sends his good wishes to all of you, and remembers his time at the early Gatherings very fondly.

I look forward to browsing the forum so that I can see the details on some of the great builds I've seen summarized over on FB (Roberta! Bill!), and learn about others that I have not seen.

All the best.
Bruce.
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

Bill Edmundson

Re: Holiday Greetings

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:17 pm

Bruce

Good to hear from you here! I've seen many of your FB post and can tell you're really enjoying Nova Scotia. So, good to hear Brian, dad, is doing well. Sorry about the leg. I understand because my mother went through the leg infections, too.

Drop back in anytime. We still value your input!

Regards,
Billl
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

kens

Post by kens » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:15 pm

Good to hear from you,
I heard you lost your Dad, it is good to hear he is still with us.
I think there is several forum members up there in your new area.

Happy Holidays,
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:36 am

Great to hear the update and love seeing you on Facebook. Take care and hope our paths will cross again.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:48 pm

BruceDow wrote:...Mr. Hot Rod ... gently chided me for my recent absence from this forum...
lol, I would like to gently chide BOTH of you for your recent absences from the Gatherings. We really miss you folks. But we also know that, with your move and Paul's being sick, it would be very selfish of us to expect y'all to come all the way to TN for us. Just know that you folks are loved and missed.
BruceDow wrote: My dear spouse had an opportunity to take a great academic position at a small university in Nova Scotia.
Do they need any Spanish teachers? I'm pursuing my Master's now. Honestly, I have found that academia gets in your blood. It has sure gotten into mine.
BruceDow wrote: The boat (Monaco - "Gemma") has been running well, but did not get in the water this year, due to the move...
WOW, why didn't you say something! There are probably LOTS of members here that would have been MORE than happy to wet that hull for you - probably completely free of charge even! :lol: :P ...and put the top up and down on the MG too. :D
BruceDow wrote: For those of you who have met my Father, I am pleased to report that he is now doing well.
I'm sure sorry he had to lose his leg. That's some serious stuff. Please send him our best well wishes. I hope he has not seen his last gathering. For 2017, I have already reserved your floating cabin. If you think you'd like to have it this next September, I can move to another one or share.

All in all, it's really great to see you post on the forum.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Return to “Miscellaneous”