Sunnyland Boat Show

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

slug

Re: Sunnyland Boat Show

Postby slug » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:37 am

Roberta; Really enjoying your photos of the incredible array of exhibits. Some beautiful boats and some absolutely ugly ones :? :lol: Always pleased that there are people who keep these vessels floating for generations so others can enjoy them.
Thanks for the posts.

Doug

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:10 am

It was great. Loved every minute. Back to reality.

:) Roberta :)
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:46 pm

Just a few more miles from home. Managed to miss the bad weather between Georgia and home. Hope Bill and all our friends in the way of all the storms are okay.

Roberta :)

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:23 pm

Roberta

All is well here.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:00 am

Good news, Bill!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:53 am

A few from the Dora Canal from Rich's phone. Sorry if I duplicated any.

It was a great trip. Had fun golfing at Ponte Vedra. The River Cruise was AWESOME. and the show was Great with the cruise through the Dora Canal. I highly recommend putting this event on your bucket list. We will be going back.

Roberta :D :D :D :D
Attachments
IMG_20170325_111501833.jpg
IMG_20170325_110634819.jpg
IMG_20170325_110158886.jpg
IMG_20170325_105630460.jpg

Gayle Brantuk

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:45 am

How fun, Roberta! Thanks for sharing the photos and glad you had a great time. That's awesome about the photo shoot with Classic Boat--will they be doing a feature on your Torpedo?

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:58 am

Not sure about an article, but someone said they got some nice pics. We don't get that magazine, so I hope somebody will post it if they use a pic. There will be an article in the Spring edition of the ACBS Rudder magazine. I will say the Torpedo was one of the most photographed boats and we got a lot of compliments. The boat design was very well received and we got a chance to show a lot of people how well it performs.

Roberta :D :D :D :D

rbrandenstein

Postby rbrandenstein » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:30 pm

Roberta,
Do you have any pictures with your bimini up?
Where did you get it or is it a custom job?

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:46 pm

Just the ones that I posted in the Torpedo thread. It is an off the shelf bimini I purchased from Great Lakes Skipper. I just looked for one that would be the best fit for the boat. I think it was about 400 bucks plus some fittings and screws.

Roberta

Oyster

Postby Oyster » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:47 am

Nice pictures of the great event. I like it better than the wooden boat show, IMO. FWIW, while Great Lake Skipper is a great outlet for many boat parts, if you want really reasonable bimini tops in fabric in particular, check out Amazon. Most of them come with wing nut type removable brackets from on deck when you don't want to use it and have it folded down and laying across the boat decks. I purchased an 8 ft. one for 158 bucks to the door, and that was an 8 ft wide and 54 inch tall. The 6 ft long ones normally come in 46 inch tall heights with the various widths. The heights is measured from the side decks when opened up. The rigid tubing on the back side makes it nice too for when you want to just fold it back and leave it up ,Most comes with a boot to cover it keeping the top from flapping when running or even towing..

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:24 am

Amazon is a great source for many things. The Bimini's, on Amazon, in the lower price range are typically Aluminum frame. Mine is all Stainless Steel. it came with a zipper cover, stanchions, and hold down straps. I needed to supply the four anchors, pins, loops for the straps, and screws to hold the anchors, about $40.00. I chose to put the stanchions in front and the hold down straps in the aft to make entry into the cockpit easier for my boat. Folding the top forward makes for easier access. The stainless frame is much stronger and withstands the 50+ mph I can go. I typically cruise in the 35-40mph range.

While my Bimini doesn't enhance the Torpedo's appearance, it is great on the long trips like the river runs. It was a Godsend in Florida. Mine is about 36" tall, about 72" wide and about 60" long. All stainless and Sunbrella canvas. It has zippers sewn in for front, aft and side panels for the boat it was designed for (those were not included). I could have those made locally if I decide I need them.

Roberta :D
Attachments
IMG_6547.JPG
IMG_6551.JPG

Oyster

Postby Oyster » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:40 am

Correct on all points,, But locally our options are limited to either paying a grand to 1,500 bucks for the stainless ones in 8 ft in particular, or dealing with the less than ideal ones, which are also lighter in weight when removing and remounting them too. Plus if you wish to get one custom made, normally its a three month ordeal if you can find a shop that will even do them. Out of the three main shops in the area, only one will custom make them. Most local boats use tee tops, which leave the side areas free from obstruction, while covering less area of the decking.

They truly get in the way of fishing, which is the primary use of most of our boats in the region. But the tops do protect us old folks and grandkids from the intense heat in the middle of summer time when we wish to just play around on the boat.

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:01 am

I agree. Custom tops are really pricey and the larger SS tops are heavy. I searched for a while to find one that fit. GLS is close to me and I was lucky enough to get it there. Mine is small enough that the extra weight of the SS wasn't a big deal. GLS does have a lot of pictures and dimensions to help in picking the best fit. These are very well made tops originally made for upper end boats. Adjustment and compromise may be necessary when using these.

Roberta

Butch Barto

Postby Butch Barto » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:27 am

I see y'all have some pics of Rum Runner ,The four stainless bars on the bow is sort of their trademark. One of Hugh Saint's beauties ,Tommy, Craig and the guys do good work. I got to know them years ago , had them repair INNOCENCE after the seado smashed into us, We was so busy at the time . Sunnyland is our home chapter we have been going to the show since we finished building INNOCENCE . Have never been able to make the river run . WE hope to some year . WE had a lot going on this year and didn't make it. Lots to see there . They don't seem give us builders a lot of respect they seem to be a clickey bunch down there . WE stay in the big lot to the west in our RV . WE like it better now that there are lots of spots to eat and drink at the park. None of that was there five years ago .The only show we are going to besides G11 is the Wooden Boat Fest in Maddisonville La in September where we will probley see Bayou Bengel. Well I havent been on here in a wile saw your pics ,looks like yall had a great time see ya at G12. Or mabe a show some place else.

Return to “Miscellaneous”