orientation of the patterns in plan packets

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Catbldr

orientation of the patterns in plan packets

Post by Catbldr »

I have been pouring over the plans, instructions, and every detail given on the plans for the Hell Cat. I am still confused as to the orientation of the plans. Are the patterns forward looking aft or aft looking forward. My impression so far is forward looking aft. I just need to be absolutely sure before I start. I looked at the key in the corner of each sheet and nothing is noted and I didn't see anything in the instructions.

The transom is forward looking aft so I assume the rest are.

Bill Edmundson

Re: orientation of the patterns in plan packets

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Catbldr

I don't have a set of these plans. The patterns are usually for one side of the hull, Then they are turned over for the other side. The patterns are for the outside of the frames before fairing. It does not matter which way. Look closely at the design drawings. Look not just at the frame drawings. Look closely at the plan view drawings.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

TomB

Post by TomB »

Catbldr

I don't have a set of these plans either. I go along with Bill, since the templates, generally are for one side and then flipped for the other side, they aren't fore or aft. (I guess that makes them ambidextrous :roll: )

There may an issue on how they fit on the boat, does the floor timber or gusset fit fore or aft? On the plans I've seen, "looking forward" or "looking aft" is noted along the top edge of the frame drawing (sheet 2 of 4 in my sets). Your results may vary.

Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

I don't think it matters on the frames. As others have said you flip the 1/2 pattern over to get the other side. The frames will be faired during the construction later making the orientation proper. On my plans (barrelback), the side view drawing of the boat, the one that shows the battens, etc., you should be able to see if the deck beams are on the forward or aft side of the frame. Check the gusset placement with the side view also.
Hope this helps.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

The patterns are not a forward/aft specific view, they just give the shape of the pieces you need to cut out for making the frames, stem, transom, etc. Not to confuse you but looking ahead at assembly, the deck beams and some other pieces will be installed on the forward or aft side of the frames. Something else to look at is the frame stations and which side (forward or aft) of the stations the frames will be installed on. All that is shown in the drawings, usually in the side elevation and plan view.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Catbldr

Post by Catbldr »

Thank you for your input. I know they are symmetrical. Just hoping they would be consistent to show orientation on the boat.

Jeff

Return to “Miscellaneous”