boating woes

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Soloboat

boating woes

Postby Soloboat » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:05 pm

If you saw my boat now you wouldn't believe the variegated paint scheme. I have hit the docks so often and so hard that I have had to repair the rash. The damage to one area on port side bow, deformed the plywood but the glass did prevent abrasion. I ground out about an 8in circle buttered in a scarfed patch. all good paint colour way off but ok, and through all of these mishaps no cracks in frame joints or any discernable place not one nary any structural damage and I examined her thoroughly, really this is a testament to a well designed hull. Since I am on a small rant I might as well admit that I forgot the butt plugs on one occasion luckily I remembered at the docks so I trailered up and drained her. I have ventured out solo a few times but I find it a bit much for one guy and sometimes like Ken when I reel in what is left of a once good sized fish I think there is only 1/2 in of plywood between me and JAWS. I have many fenders and they do help some, now I need a boat hook. Have any of you guys made your own if so please share. It has been a few years since the official launch just pushing 180 hrs. If you have testimonials of the abuse you have meted out to your boat unintentionally even though you know you can repair you will find understanding and some sympathy here
) Champagne dreams and wishes are possible on a beer budget. Just build the boat.
Nice curves are easy on the eyes.
Go sell crazy somewhere else we're all stocked up here."As Good As It Gets" Jack Nicholson.

Bill Edmundson

Re: boating woes

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:26 pm

Denzil

We all have our stories. I'm one year into the Bartender. Still not finished and already have things to redo!

Regards,
Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

kens

Postby kens » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:42 pm

Sounds good!!
Wear it like a badge of honor.
I am 10 years now since my first launch, dull & faded paint, scratches, repairs here & there.
Salt water corrosion showing its true self, metal parts are either rusted, or, green.
Occasionally people get out of my way, looking at my rig, they just assume I'm not afraid to hit something, their rug boat included.!!!

I got pulled over one time by the game warden, I just had a fun time with Bonitas, blood & guts all over the boat, it looked like a TV homicide scene.
All I needed was my 9mm to fall out of a pocket to top off the homicide scene!!! My tidy white T-shirt didnt help either, with blood splashed all over, and blood hand prints on the front...... just lovely.

Did I mention I go fishing with a 9mm now??
I landed a 5 ft shark and wanted shark steaks, I assumed that a few minutes in the hot Georgia sun would mellow this guy out.
But NO!! This guy was whipping around the boat like a banshee. I tried to continue fishing while this guy wore himself out, then I noticed he had gotten my gas line caught in his teeth and knarling on the rubber hose!!!! I grabbed a knife and stuck him like a prison shank!!!!
From now on a 9mm is part of my 'necessities'

For some reason, I think some of these things don't happen on a glossy white gel-coated fishing trip.

BTW, Do you eat Bonita?
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:26 am

Well I hope that I am going to get the opportunity to relate stories like these someday as long as they don't involve sinking!!

Seems like forever since I started the build and the end is still far off. The only boating story I have so far is how excited I was to finally take my family out on a boat a few years ago. We went out on a rented pontoon boat and enjoyed the day on the lake. I'm proudly bringing the boat and my family back to the marina to return her. The marina attendant sees us coming into the marina and is waiting for us at the dock to help tie up. Somewhere in my subconscious, my mind decided to hit the dock as hard as I could! Hard enough to break a piece off the boat! :? :?

Well, my face matched my red shirt for the remainder of the day!
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:10 am

Carl

I thought you blamed that on one of the kids :!: :lol:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:29 am

Twice on my jon boat I hit the dock head on hard enough to pop all the rivets holding the trolling motor bracket on. Super easy fix but still. If you go boating long enough your going to break something eventually. It only took Carl one trip! :wink:

rleete

Postby rleete » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:34 am

hoodman wrote:Twice on my jon boat I hit the dock head on hard enough to pop all the rivets holding the trolling motor bracket on. Super easy fix but still. If you go boating long enough your going to break something eventually. It only took Carl one trip! :wink:

He's an overachiever.

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:22 am

rleete wrote:He's an overachiever.

:oops: :oops:
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

gap998

Postby gap998 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:22 pm

Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

Soloboat

Postby Soloboat » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:29 pm

Kens bonita is great table fare especially if its iced immediately they tend to get mushy if left in the gunny sack too long. I do also have a working boat and hope to keep it in reasonable condition. and gap988 I get it with that link but I will bet they do not have the 99% perspiration nor the 1% inspiration it took to build a boat as we have vested in any of these crafts :)
) Champagne dreams and wishes are possible on a beer budget. Just build the boat.
Nice curves are easy on the eyes.
Go sell crazy somewhere else we're all stocked up here."As Good As It Gets" Jack Nicholson.

kens

Postby kens » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:39 pm

Soloboat,
Do you like Hawaiian Poke?
Ahi Poke?
I like to take the Poke sauce in a container out with me, then the first Bonita I catch, I dice up the clear meat above the bloodline, make Poke with that, right in the boat. Then about lunch time, it is ready for crackers.
The clear meat is as good as any Tuna, but it doesnt keep in the sack as you said. You must cook it the same day.
however, I found out if you grill a Bonita, and keep the leftover meat, you can make tuna salad as good as any tuna salad.

And that above youtube video,:
I am glad to see so many youtubes of boat accidents,
It helps take some of the heat off me !!!
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Oyster

Postby Oyster » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:52 am

Soloboat wrote:If you saw my boat now you wouldn't believe the variegated paint scheme. I have hit the docks so often and so hard that I have had to repair the rash. The damage to one area on port side bow, deformed the plywood but the glass did prevent abrasion. I ground out about an 8in circle buttered in a scarfed patch. all good paint colour way off but ok, and through all of these mishaps no cracks in frame joints or any discernable place not one nary any structural damage and I examined her thoroughly, really this is a testament to a well designed hull. Since I am on a small rant I might as well admit that I forgot the butt plugs on one occasion luckily I remembered at the docks so I trailered up and drained her. I have ventured out solo a few times but I find it a bit much for one guy and sometimes like Ken when I reel in what is left of a once good sized fish I think there is only 1/2 in of plywood between me and JAWS. I have many fenders and they do help some, now I need a boat hook. Have any of you guys made your own if so please share. It has been a few years since the official launch just pushing 180 hrs. If you have testimonials of the abuse you have meted out to your boat unintentionally even though you know you can repair you will find understanding and some sympathy here

Wear the battle scars with pride. Its a sign that you are actually using the boat that you built with your hands. And hey its still floating and you appeared to have lived to talk about it too. And as I tell folks in reply to when they tell me that they ran aground. Well if you have never run aground, you have never left the dock. At least that's the theme on the east coast and the gulf anyway.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:11 am

Mike

You're right! I stuck the sailboat keel in the bottom a couple of times. It took awhile to get her free. I pulled a 35' trawler out with the Tahoe one day, others were on the way to help.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Miscellaneous”