Space between transom and deck

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

eamelink

Space between transom and deck

Post by eamelink »

I'm going to build a hatch in the back part of my squirt :)

Since I want it to be as big as possible, I'd like to make the aft deck larger, ie more towards the transom.

But I don't exactly know how much space I need, so that I'll still be able to lift up the engine.

I am probably going to buy a 20 or 25 hp 2stroke mercury or johnson something like 8 or 10 years old.

The only example engine that I have here is my parents 8hp merc. Even if it's lifted up, the part that's inside the boat does not get below the transom level, except for the fuel hose. The part getting closest is at approximately 25 centimeters.

So, I think I should end the deck at something like 30 centimeters from the transom for a 25 hp 2stroke engine.

Does anyone think that's not possible? Or could I extend the deck even more?
http://www.eamelink.nl/zut/boot/ << My ongoing RED hulled squirty![br]
Newest photo's

Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight »

I can check this for you in the morning. I lengthened my boat by 30cm overall and moved the seat forward 10cm, this gave more room behind the seat. I also reduced the size of the well in front of the motor to allow the biggest possible hatch.
My 18hp motor still tips right up without fouling the deck, but I can't remember exactly how big that well is, I'll measure it tomorrow and let you know.
Graham in Shepperton, England

Good, Quick, Cheap, pick any two.

Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight »

OK, I just went out and measured mine, the distance from the transom to the rearmost deck beam is 27cm, this still leaves plenty of room to feed the cables and for the motor to tilt right up.
I think over the winter I may build in a self draining motor well, I'm having a custom cover made and the guy said it would be hard to seal completely around the motor (the motor cover will be a seperate piece), a motor well would take care of any rain that did get in, and would also strengthen the transom considerably.

eamelink

Post by eamelink »

Graham Knight wrote:OK, I just went out and measured mine, the distance from the transom to the rearmost deck beam is 27cm, this still leaves plenty of room to feed the cables and for the motor to tilt right up.
I think over the winter I may build in a self draining motor well, I'm having a custom cover made and the guy said it would be hard to seal completely around the motor (the motor cover will be a seperate piece), a motor well would take care of any rain that did get in, and would also strengthen the transom considerably.
Thanks very much! I was thinking about 35 centimeters, but I'll do something like 27 as well. If you still got enough room for cables, there should be no problem :)

That would be enough for a nice hatch :)

By the way I did not move the seat forfard, just the dash a 10 centimeters. Gives me a little more space in front of me :)
Newest photo's

Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight »

I moved the dash forward too, but I moved it further than the seat so not only is the seat further forward, I also have a slightly bigger cockpit too.
I was running my motor last night, partly for the fun of it, it just runs so well since the rebuild, and partly to tune it and get the idle just right.
When I was finished I found I couldn't switch it off though and had to choke it until it stopped! The problem is a broken wire right where it connects to the kill switch.
I've fixed that this morning but also added a second pair of wires to the switch, these will extend to a second kill switch on the control box, there's a hole for one and I found one just the right size. I'll also fit a key switch on the dash, so when I remove the key the kill circuit will be permanently engaged making it difficult for anyone else to start it.

eamelink

Post by eamelink »

Graham Knight wrote:I've fixed that this morning but also added a second pair of wires to the switch, these will extend to a second kill switch on the control box, there's a hole for one and I found one just the right size. I'll also fit a key switch on the dash, so when I remove the key the kill circuit will be permanently engaged making it difficult for anyone else to start it.
Nice, you really don't want someone to sail away with your boat while you're ordering a hamburger somewhere ;)

I went to the shop where they might have an engine for me; the people that currently own it want a 40hp :)

The engine is bought there in 93, and has been in service every year. So there should me much wrong with it :). The man there lifted it for me, so I could measure space needed from the transom ;) 25 centimeters is more than enough :).

I also ordered a steering installation. Should arrive somewhere next week, I hope its there before I apply the deck :)
Newest photo's

DavidMcA

Post by DavidMcA »

Its a good idea to move the dash beam forwards, rather than extending the cockpit rearwards because your body weight will still be in the correct position. I left the dash where it was, but moved the seat back a few inches which means that I'm a little bit tail heavy.
David McAdam
Squirt Gallery - Its BACK!!
http://one.xthost.info/boatbuilder/boat/
BOAT IS NOW SOLD

Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight »

I repositioned the seat the same way as when I stretched the boat, so it's 110% forward of the transom which is correct in relation to the 110% hull length. The dash beam is also 110% forward of the seat so I naturally gained a bit of cockpit space, not much but it makes a difference when you're 6' 2".
My hatch is 40cm x 90cm along the front edge, which is wide enough to get the fuel tank in and out easily and for stowing fenders etc... The hatch is framed by a 14cm wide strip of deck in front and behind, anything smaller looked a bit silly when I drew it so I struck a balance to get a reasonable size hatch.

eamelink

Post by eamelink »

DavidMcA wrote:I left the dash where it was, but moved the seat back a few inches which means that I'm a little bit tail heavy.
I'm probably going to make a bracket for a 12 liter gas tank in the front. That should compensate some for the quite heavy engine :). And it leaves me more space in the back :)
Newest photo's

Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight »

A 20hp 2 stroke shouldn't weigh that much, my 18hp weighs 87lbs (about 40 kilos), a 20 will be about the same and shouldn't really require any weight in the bow to balance it.
What happens when the bow tank empties and gets lighter anyway?

DavidMcA

Post by DavidMcA »

eamelink wrote: I'm probably going to make a bracket for a 12 liter gas tank in the front.
Make sure you do it before you put the deck on, its almost impossible to get in there afterwards and its not the easiest place to put the tank...no flat surfaces anywhere!
David McAdam
Squirt Gallery - Its BACK!!
http://one.xthost.info/boatbuilder/boat/
BOAT IS NOW SOLD

eamelink

Post by eamelink »

Graham Knight wrote:A 20hp 2 stroke shouldn't weigh that much, my 18hp weighs 87lbs (about 40 kilos), a 20 will be about the same and shouldn't really require any weight in the bow to balance it.
What happens when the bow tank empties and gets lighter anyway?
Well, I'll see what happens, I can always put it in the back :)
DavidMcA wrote:Make sure you do it before you put the deck on, its almost impossible to get in there afterwards and its not the easiest place to put the tank...no flat surfaces anywhere!
Newest photo's

Return to “Miscellaneous”