Seakeeper stabilizing system

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

JoeM

Seakeeper stabilizing system

Postby JoeM » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:14 am

Sad to admit but starting the boat build is still on hold while other things are prioritized. I'm still researching and refining my plans. So while physical labor isn't occurring, some progress still is being made.

While looking into other systems I recently came across a stabilizing system and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them? https://www.seakeeper.com/

They were really for bigger boats until now so I don't expect anyone to have installed them on their trailerable boats yet. The Seakeeper 2 is only 414lbs and has been installed on boats as small as 27ft. Granted, I don't think my boat with all of my changes will accommodate even the smaller Seakeeper 2. Not to mention it's very pricey, $22k. But I'm still intrigued.

This intrigued me because stabilizing the roll could be huge considering I am planning on taking other disabled vets out on the water. Having a more stable platform in any sea condition might open up the water to those with mobility issues.

I was reading up on them and the added stresses that are placed on the boat are pretty considerable. Vertical up to almost 1,500 lbs and longitudinal almost 1,000lbs. That's in addition to the weight that must be placed aft of amidship and a 2gpm cooling water flow. Most installations appear to turn the unit into a leaning console. In the installation information it says to design the boat hull structure to a safety factor of 3.0. What does this mean in practice?
Check out my project and blog! http://fv-escape-hatch.com/project

steveh41

Re: Seakeeper stabilizing system

Postby steveh41 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:29 am

Joe,
If you're planning on spending any time in a seaway roll stabilization will be an important issue. It's good to be planning for it now since as you noted some structural reinforcement will likely be necessary. At the time I was framing the hull on my build active fin stabilization was the only viable option and I installed the Wesmar DSP4800 system:

http://www.wesmar.com/products/1-stabil ... er-systems.

The company is great and very supportive; their installer came up from the Bay area to help with the actuator mounts and the components are top quality.

I think the new gyro systems are becoming very popular since there's no need for hull penetrations and you can get stabilization even while moored or at anchor. Pricewise they look to be very competitive although by no means cheap. Your installation would likely be on the aft motor stringers so a little beefing up of that structure for the anticipated loads shouldn't be too difficult. I probably would have gone this route if it had been available at the time.

Good luck on your build... look forward to seeing pics. Your plans so far look great!

Regards,

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

JoeM

Re: Seakeeper stabilizing system

Postby JoeM » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:22 pm

Thanks Steve,

I forgot if I had read it before and was actually wondering if you were using a stabilizing system. The company you went with and the stabilizing fins look top notch.

I was not even looking into a stabilizing system. I was actually reading up on crab/lobster hoop net pulling systems and an ad for the Seakeeper popped up and was intriguing so I did something I normally don't do. I clicked it.

Appreciate the kind words about my build plans. Hope to finally get cutting soon and will definitely be taking pictures.

Fair winds,

Joe
Check out my project and blog! http://fv-escape-hatch.com/project

Return to “Miscellaneous”