Seriously???????

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

BayouBengal

Seriously???????

Postby BayouBengal » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:31 am

A 14.2M budget to build a pedestrian walkway over a boulevard? :shock: :shock: :shock:

And it fell down before it was even opened? :shock: :shock: :shock:

I think most of us boatbuilders wouldn't have a problem building this bridge. Matter of fact, with that budget we could probably build 7 or 8 of them.

Bill Edmundson

Re: Seriously???????

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:38 am

I'll be very interested in what they find out!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:13 am

The crazy part is, they were stressing the bridge to test it and nobody thought to make sure not traffic was under it during the test.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

TomB

Postby TomB » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:38 pm

Sad to see. It will be interesting to read what went wrong. I'm guessing cable tensioning gone wrong.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:03 pm

Tom

You may be right. I also wonder about the construction sequencing. The end structures don't appear to be finished. It went fast. Someone said there was a bang. It looks like pre-cast design (post-tension). If a cable bundle popped... It would sound like a cannon!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

TAB

Postby TAB » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:23 pm

From the pictures I saw I wonder if it was an installation error. The bridge was made off site and put onto dollies to move into place. It is entirely possible that during that process they stress something they should not. I'm sure in about 6 months will know just about everything. I know one thing everybody involved right now is sweating bullets

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:35 pm

TAB

I wonder if the design assumed the end structures would be in place before the bridge would be set. But, you are right! A bunch of people are sweating bullets and losing sleep!

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

TAB

Postby TAB » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:39 pm

From the pics I saw, they used 2 dollys that were not inter connected. If I was too guess during the move a twisting moment was introduced into the structure which cause a failure of the renforcment. I might be wrong, but the structural engineering background in me says that was it.(worked for a we firm that just did bridges) only time will tell. I am sorry people lost their lives, this will be in the next round of text books if that is what it turns out was the issue. The sad part is the contractor that built it will go under, it does not matter why it failed(ie not their fualt/design flaw) a bunch of guys will have too go home too their families and tell them they got laid off.

kens

Postby kens » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:18 pm

That bridge looked like a I-beam itself, the top, the bottom, and the triangle trusses in between. If the triangle trusses in between is the web, then the top & bottom make a I-beam. Did you see the photos of the demolition crews jackhammering it apart? It is full of re-bar.
If you got a I-beam, then what is the tension cables for????
But, did you see the top? The top is hollow concrete.
The foundations at each end are still standing.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

TAB

Postby TAB » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:43 pm

kens wrote:That bridge looked like a I-beam itself, the top, the bottom, and the triangle trusses in between. If the triangle trusses in between is the web, then the top & bottom make a I-beam. Did you see the photos of the demolition crews jackhammering it apart? It is full of re-bar.
If you got a I-beam, then what is the tension cables for????
But, did you see the top? The top is hollow concrete.
The foundations at each end are still standing.

It's called a box. Standard construction method(The design idk could be standard or something speacil)

TomB

Postby TomB » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:08 am

"If you got a I-beam, then what is the tension cables for????"

Concrete only works in compression, and the bottom flange of the I-beam and lower half of the web are in tension, wanting to stretch. The post-tension cables are used to squeeze the flange (from end to end) and web transferring the stretch/tension to the cables. Tom

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:10 am

Here is an interesting article. https://www.yahoo.com/news/fallen-bridg ... 16081.html

I seems there were cracks reported on a voicemail and a tower and suspension weren't finished.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

billy c

Postby billy c » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:16 am

Also this article also from the Miami Herald with an engineers perspective
Billy
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article205432029.html
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Return to “Miscellaneous”