Lake Hartwell ACBS Show 2018 report

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Brad Tucker

Lake Hartwell ACBS Show 2018 report

Postby Brad Tucker » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:44 am

After serious consideration, I entered Miss Vonnie into Lake Hartwell's annual ACBS boat show. I was a little nervous about having a home built boat around so many classics, but I should not have been. The Blue Ridge Chapter was so friendly and welcomed me as one of their own. We met so many wonderful and helpful people! It's too long of a story to talk about so I will keep it as short as I can. I helped at the launch dock with some truly vintage boats, and they helped me. I was there to catch a line at the show dock, and so were they. Millionaires and the blue collar, working as great friends. Join your local ACBS if you haven't! On to the show, now. Initially as a late entry, my spot was all the way out on the end of the docks. I was perfectly fine with it, because I have NO experience backing an inboard into a slip. I did start observing others as they did. Thank goodness, because I was out at my boat and this gentleman approached me and asked if I were Brad. I said Yes. Then he said "We are moving you! We have a boat that won't make it!" and he reached down and ripped my placard off the dock. My blood pressure immediately went up, and I told him I have no backing experience. He said "Don't worry! Plenty of people down there to help!" This didn't help my BP because what I heard was "plenty of people watching!" I nervously cranked and eased to the new slip. When I got there, I had plenty of people to help. And watch. Now to add to the pressure, a Chris Craft Sea Skiff was next door, and Miss America IX, the 1930 Farmsorth trophy winner and first boat in history to make 100+mph was across the dock, transom to transom with me. With her owner standing there. I swung Miss Vonnie about, reversed her as I had observed others doing, and she slid right in! As my grandmother always said, even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then! The dock burst out In laughter for some reason. Then Al, the guy who ripped up my placard said "I told 'em to pad their boats and stick out their feet because a new guy's coming!" That was day one. On the day of the show, the distinguished gentleman who owns Miss America IX approached us and asked my wife if I had a camera. She said yes. He asked her to come and crank Miss America IX and invited me into the foredeck to take a picture, because she will smile because cranking her makes it feel like electricity flowing through the wheel. I don't know, but standing on the foredeck of a '30 Garwood when 2 NASCAR 454's fire off will make a grown man both cry and giggle like a little girl! After that, the show started, and we met a ton of interested people. It was the biggest turnout in the shows history I am told. Among the people we met a few that were very interested in home built boats. Most serious ones have heard of, or visited this forum. I really discussed the huge amount of support here, and I hope some will eventually build their own. I could not stress enough the support and help given here. As far as awards, the contemporary award went rightfully to a 2008 (I think) reproduction of a Chris Craft Cobra. As icing on the cake, Mr Charles (owner/driver of MA IX) invited Vonnie for a ride. She accepted, and had the pleasure of running 80+ mph in a famous Classic! On leaving the next day, there was more than enough help for loading up. What a blast it was! I do hope to make Nickajack this year.
Attachments
0420181516a_HDR.jpg
FB_IMG_1524400133648.jpg
0421181006_HDR.jpg
Last edited by Brad Tucker on Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bill Edmundson

Re: Lake Hartwell ACBS Show 2018 report

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:28 am

Brad

:D :D :D :!: :mrgreen:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:54 am

Wonderful story Brad. Looks like Miss Vonnie fits right in :!:
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

psychobilly

Postby psychobilly » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:59 am

I bet Mr Witt is up yonder smiling down on you too.

Great story!

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:24 am

I do hope to make Nickajack this year.

I hope you make it to, I'd really like to see your boat. From every picture I've seen, your work looks to be exceptional.

sproggy

Postby sproggy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:44 am

Beautiful boats, all of them, and the Tahoe fits right in. Clearly the classic crowd felt the same way.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:20 am

Thirteen years ago, when I came it to this forum, ACBS wasn't very receptive to home-builds. But, because of people like Butch and Paula, Roberta and Rich, Neel, Brad, and many others home builders are now pretty much accepted. When they saw many nice, beautiful boats They had to give in. That and the fact that there are not as many of the old boats around.

I'm proud each time one of OUR boats' show!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:22 pm

They're not making any new classic boats. Except us. Well not me, but you y'all are!

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:24 pm

Nice Brad. Glad to hear the experience was good. I understand the nervousness when forced to back in. When we launched Skip's boat last year we were all struggling with how to handle a boat with a prop and rudder versus an outboard.

Miss Vonnie look's beautiful and as I figured, these wooden beauties are going to make the rest of the boating community take notice.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Return to “Miscellaneous”