Subwoofer Placement

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

18shamic

Subwoofer Placement

Postby 18shamic » Mon May 28, 2018 8:49 pm

Hi all!

I am working on finishing up my Riviera, and I have recently been working on installing speakers in the boat. I would like to have a subwoofer, but I don't have a good place to put one. The best place I can find is all the way up under the tip of the bow, but I am worried about the pounding that it will take. I vaguely remember someones stretched Tahoe having a hole up there - I assumed it was for a sub. I was wondering if anybody is running subwoofers, if they are even necessary, and where you happened to put them.

Thanks,
Michael

hoodman

Re: Subwoofer Placement

Postby hoodman » Tue May 29, 2018 3:19 pm

Subs are built to vibrate and pound so I don't see that as being a problem. Necessary? No. But one properly set up can add a lot to your music.

hoodman

Re: Subwoofer Placement

Postby hoodman » Wed May 30, 2018 8:42 am

Also, since it's more difficult to discern the direction low-frequency sound comes from you really can put it anywhere. And you only need two for extra volume, not for stereo imaging. If you want to save space just get one good one and feed it plenty of power. You may know this but use a low pass filter for your sub amp and a high pass filter for your other speakers. The great thing about modern amps is that they have physically gotten a lot smaller in the last 20 years. I was around your age last time I built a system and the cheaper amps were huge.

Return to “Miscellaneous”