Mini Adventure

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

JimmY

Mini Adventure

Post by JimmY » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:32 am

While not as epic as Curt's adventures...
20180706_143803-1.jpg
Pretty Rough on the Lake Today
I had a day off yesterday and it was windy as all get out on the lake, so I decided to try a river cruise. My boat is based on Ore Lake which connects to the Huron River. The Huron river flows all the way down to Lake Erie, but locally it connects a chain of lakes from Brighton to Ann Arbor. There is a local watering hole, the Zukey Lake Tavern, two lakes down.

Access to the river is through a small culvert. This was one of the reasons for building the Squirt.
20180706_144113.jpg
There are some pretty wide areas of the rivers to start out, but it narrows down, and gets pretty shallow. I made sure to have my tools and an extra sheer pin.
20180706_144159.jpg
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

JimmY

Re: Mini Adventure

Post by JimmY » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:42 am

Some sections of the river are lined with homes and cottages, and others are very secluded.

It is swan season here, and every lake appears to have at least one family taking care of their young.
20180706_145739.jpg
Family of Swans
Lots of pontoon boats lines the river, at least I know someone else cruises the river. I ran into a few kayakers and fishers, but mostly had the river to myself. It is pretty shallow so I was always keeping an eye on the bottom, and had to shift into reverse a lot to clear the prop of weeds.
20180706_151139.jpg
There are 4 bridges to cross under between Ore Lake and Strawberry Lake. This is a bike path bridge that runs from Hamburg west.
20180706_152257.jpg
-Jim

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:01 am

Once I got to Strawberry Lake, I could open up the motor and have a little fun.
20180706_153819.jpg
There is a small channel between Strawberry Lake and Zukey Lake, and then you have to be careful heading across Zukey Lake. There is a large sand bar, and if you don't know about it, you can find yourself in 1 foot of water real quick.

With the Squirt tied up at the dock, it was time for a little refreshment at the roof top bar.
20180706_155552.jpg
20180706_160004.jpg
It took a little over an hour to get down the river. On the way back, the current was noticeable and it took about an hour and a half. The old Johnson used about 3 gallons of gas on the trip. About 15 minutes from home, I did hit a rock, but didn't brake a sheer pin. It nicked the prop a little, and scratched the paint. Other than that, it was uneventful. If the water level stays up, I'll have to make this trip again. Next time I'll bring a stick to prop up my motor a bit to help keep down the weeds and prevent a prop strike.

If any Glen L'ers are interested in a similar cruise, there is a public launch in Pinckney at Portage Lake where you can motor up the river to Zukey Lake. Just be warned, the river gets pretty buusy on the weekends. We did this cruise with some friends a while back on a weeknight, and it was a lot of fun.

Later!
-Jim

billy c

Post by billy c » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:43 am

Nice
Thanks for taking us along with you
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

jamundsen

Post by jamundsen » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:36 am

thanks for sharing.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

JoeM

Post by JoeM » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:12 am

Thanks for taking us along! Looked like a real fun time!
Check out my project and blog! http://fv-escape-hatch.com/project

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:33 pm

Perfect cruise for the capable little Squirt, great boat. I still enjoy setting 25 mph and getting lost in my Squirt for a couple hours on 3 gallons of gas.
Matt B

BillJ

Post by BillJ » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:43 pm

That was cool, thanks for sharing.

curtgard

Post by curtgard » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:45 pm

JimmY

Looks like you had a great time. Thanks for sharing. Maybe if we get more cruising reports, a separate heading will be needed for trip reports/logs.

On my bucket list of cruising area's is starting in the Sandusky area on Lake Erie and the going around the Bass Islands and up the Detroit River/St.Clair River to Port Huron. Is the Huron River navigable from Lake Erie for any distance for a boat like mine that needs 3' depth and 9' overhead clearance?

Curt

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:54 pm

Sounds like a great time!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:21 pm

Thanks for posting Jimmy. The pictures over the bow of your boat reminded me so much of sitting and looking out over the bow of my old Squirt. So much so, that I could feel the ride, seeing the water ahead and remembering exactly how it would feel as I went through, and hearing the distinct sound the chop would made as the water slapped my hull.

Thanks for the memories!

BillW

Post by BillW » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:37 pm

Beautiful shots.

So, did you have to duck your head going thru that culvert ? It must be small; only a Squirt fits under there...?

Bayou, did you sell your Squirt? My Squirt still does those things.

Bill

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:34 pm

Yes, I sold it way back in 2010. I don't regret selling it as the amount of toys I can keep are limited, but still, I miss it. I hope someone at the Gathering this year brings a Squirt, I'd love to take a ride again. How about you, BillW, or Jimmy? Will either of ya'll be coming?

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:49 am

Hi Guys,

Glad you liked my little adventure. I'm thinking about the gathering, but I'll have to wait until it gets closer. If I do make it, Jeff gets the first ride in my Squirt. Maybe we'll have to get a Michigan gathering, there are enough of us.

The culvert is pretty big, and plenty of clearance for your head and even my anchor light. You can get a jet ski or row boat through it, and probably a Zip.
curtgard wrote:Is the Huron River navigable from Lake Erie for any distance for a boat like mine that needs 3' depth and 9' overhead clearance?
Curt
Curt, it is definitely navigable for your boat. I think your biggest problem will be the freighters. I've bare-boated sailboats on Lake St. Clare, and there several channels that get you north from the Detroit river. My folks have friends on Harsons Island up near Port Huron, and have cruised in that area. I was at the wooden boat show last year in Post Huron, and there were a lot of pleasure craft motoring up and down the river amongst the freighters. It was pretty choppy and the current is pretty swift, so I'm not sure what size wave your boat can take or the top speed. Although, there were pontoon boats out in it.

I have a friend at work who keeps a 39' sailboat on Lake St. Clare, and he has been all over with it. Do some research, and I'll be happy to see if I can get any questions answered. Just pick me up at Brownies on the Lake!

Let's hear what the rest of you have been doing with your boats...
-Jim

TomB

Post by TomB » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:17 am

Curt,

I've sailed with a 6' keel between Lake Huron south through Lake Erie and the Welland Canal to Toronto. There's lots to see and do. I've also been on many sections of the Huron River, all wadeable. No experience with the Huron near Lake Erie.

Tom

Return to “Miscellaneous”