Bitter Sweet endings?

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

slug

Bitter Sweet endings?

Post by slug » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:26 pm

I've had an enjoyable lifetime hobby of building boats, and my last "want" was a runabout with a big "honkin" V8.
The Gentry seemed the match. We launched Thumper last July and Verna and I had her out on the water 14 times last summer. Built of mahogany with a cherry deck, wheel, dash, and interior, with a forward jump seat, she had a 351 Windsor Ford V8 installed.
The engine was built by my long time friend and well known local race engine builder Dave Harris. Horsepower was in excess of 300. Thumper was a rocket out of the hole, and was a blast to run.

One of the most memorable runs I had was taking Dave and his wife Chris for a lively run up the Otonabee River from Rice Lake up to Peterborough for lunch and back. Sadly, Dave had just been diagnosed with terminal brain cancer and passed away Dec. 10. This was his last ride.

As described in the plan for the Gentry, She is a replica of the Gentleman's Runabouts commonly seen back in the 30s on the Muskoka Lakes.
We decided we would put Thumper up for sale last winter, and were extremely fortunate to find the perfect new owners. They have the signature showpiece "cottage" on Lake Muskoka near Gravenhurst, and purchased Thumper 3 weeks before the Toronto ACBS show held there every July.
They are very happy with the boat and even prouder after she won First Place in Late Contemporary!
A good way to finish off my hobby. Sadly, Dave Harris was unable to share in the finale. He'll be missed.

Doug Harrison
Attachments
Doug and Verna and Thumper at ACBS Gravenhurst 2017
Doug and Verna and Thumper at ACBS Gravenhurst 2017
Dave and Doug at  ACBS Gravenhurst 2017
Dave and Doug at ACBS Gravenhurst 2017

Roberta

Re: Bitter Sweet endings?

Post by Roberta » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:49 pm

Very melancholy story, Doug. Hard to part with friends and things you love, but beautiful memories go on.

Peace!

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bill Edmundson

Re: Bitter Sweet endings?

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:51 pm

I had the privilege to do that for a couple of guys. I miss them.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Miscellaneous”