Hull Identification Number

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Brian

Hull Identification Number

Postby Brian » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:41 am

What do builders do for an HIN? I am told it has to be issued by either the state where the boat is built, or by the USCG. Apparently you cannot just dream one up. Every Glen-L builder must have gone through this, because it's a requirement to get your registration number and sticker.

hoodman

Re: Hull Identification Number

Postby hoodman » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:25 am

You are correct. Each state has it's own red tape to go through. Yesterday I had to have a LEO come and verify that my boat did not already have one. Now I have to send a bunch of forms to Indy. If I had done it in North Carolina I would have gone through Fish and Wildlife department.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:03 am

In Alabama, you go to the Marine Police site (DNR) and download a form. Fill it out and add a couple of pictures and $25.00. Send it in. In a few days they will call and set-up a time for them to come out. They just make sure it home build. They assign the HIN. They put a temp sticker on the stern. You put one in a hidden place that they record. You take the HIN to the DMV. You establish a value for taxes. If you take a big folder full of receipts, no Ala. clerk is going to dig through all of those, Calif. probably. DMV assigns the number and issues the sticker.

If you need to get it a little faster, last time I emailed the stuff to the Marine Police and marked it please rush. They called that day to set a time.
They took a credit card over the phone. Good folks.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Brian

Postby Brian » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:54 am

My boat is going to be in CA, and when I went to register it, they did want "every receipt", so I departed empty handed. I'm going to give it one more try with the major receipts (which I will have to regenerate). As far as the HIN, I will have to get that first. Apparently the process you describe is common. Never thought this would be an issue. Thanks.

TAB

Postby TAB » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:23 pm

there is a MIC for every state for home built. ( manufactors id, the 1st 3 letters) http://www.uscgboating.org/content/manu ... cation.php its generally a pretty easy process. take your boat to the correct agency, pay the fee( funny how they always want money) they issue you a HIN, some times its on the spot, some times they send it too you.

CaptDave

Postby CaptDave » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:15 am

In Ohio, you have to make an appointment to take home made boats to a Dept of Natural resources Watercraft officer to be inspected. They want to see reciepts and other proof such as photos that you built it yourself. They measured the length of the boat, verified type of hull and material of construction, and Type of propulsion (outboard inboard, sail etc..) Then they will assign an HIN number. They gave me 2 metal plates with the HIN. One had placed on the transom and one placed in a "Hidden Place" inside the boat. I was able to also obtain the registration number at the same time.
They did not judge the quality of construction or the sea worthiness. I also brought along my plans although the officer seemed less interested in them than in the receipts and photos showing me building the boat. I had a manilla folder full of receipts but the officer just quickly glanced at them to see that they appeared to be for boat building materials. The whole inspection process took less than 15 minutes.
Capt. Dave
Builder of the Amp Eater Aquatron

Return to “Miscellaneous”