How Long Does a Plywood Boat Last Sitting in Salt Water?

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Gayle Brantuk

How Long Does a Plywood Boat Last Sitting in Salt Water?

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:16 am

I got this question today via email and thought I'd put it out here to get your feedback. I have my own experience with our Sissy Do that sat in the water for probably 15-20 years, but it was in fresh water. Obviously, fiberglass covering will increase the longevity but would love to hear your feedback...

Gayle Brantuk

Re: How Long Does a Plywood Boat Last Sitting in Salt Water?

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:19 am

I just found a thread on this here, but any additional input is appreciated!
https://www.glen-l.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=27052

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:35 am

Saltwater prevents rot. The old wood boats had you put rock-salt in them when you "soaked" them at the beginning of the season. This doesn't mean that you don't have to do maintenance. But the salt is not your enemy.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:41 am

:D I've read that a bit of concrete cement used for ballast works too.must be the lime.think I read that in "Woodenboat" somewhere
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

kens

Post by kens » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:21 pm

Gougeon Brothers have been racing one of their epoxy/wood boats for over 30 years.
A few years ago they did an article on that because it was one of the first epoxy boats, and a full 30 years elapsed on the calendar.
The yhave no rot, no delaminations, and still racing it.
Their 'Epoxy Works' magazine would be a likely pick for your info

https://www.epoxyworks.com/

look what I found first click,, does this help?
https://www.epoxyworks.com/index.php/wo ... ngevity%27
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:29 pm

Did you know?! Almost all of the water speed records are wooden boats!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Po'boy

Post by Po'boy » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:48 pm

Seeing as mine probably won't ever go over 12-15 at WOT, I won't be challenging any of them. :lol:

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:07 am

That reminds me that West System has been using Mark Bronkalla's Riviera in their ads, touting that it's been in use for over 17 years.

TAB

Post by TAB » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:03 pm

i was in a party boat last month ( fishing) that was plywood and it was built in 72. not sure how much has been replaced, but it looked to be mostly original.

kens

Post by kens » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:21 pm

I imagine that salt water barnacles would be the main fear, not any rot.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:23 am

Well currently the choices of plywood is the key factor when talking about longevity right behind maintenance of a finished plywood boat. But people that normally ask the question about how long plywood last would probably not be concerned about wood in their homes that rots on a regular basis and requires on going maintenance to prevent it. As a rule its been my experience that people will paint their homes every five years and think nothing about fixing bad areas that's found in the process,

But many new and old boat owners obsess about any rot or bad areas that may come in a wooden boat. If the boat is built correctly and finished properly, then the best any boat will ever be is when you launch it. then it goes down hill from there. But for the naysayers of wooden boats, by all means walk around a production fiberglass boat with most good marine surveyors and you will see some serious horror shows in a five year old production polyester hull.

The worse enemy for wood rot is freshwater, not saltwater. Think rainwater with boats stored in saltwater and on a trailer longterm too. And the end grain in plywood and the voids in cheaper big box type plywood is the worse enemy and continues to gives plywood a bad rap these days. Spend the money and buy correct plywood out of the gate and you will be dollars ahead down the road next to a lot less work than saving money and the extra effort by ordering in good plywood if need be to build your chosen custom boat.

Your wooden boat will love you as you will love your wooden boat and in many cases it will give you long lasting memories after the extra expense is long forgotten.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:28 am

I agree with Oyster. Buy the good plywood!

A friend taught me years ago. I was going to buy golf clubs. There was the set that I wanted and there was a copy set. Roy told me to pay the money. After the pain of paying wears off, you don't want to stand over the clubs thinking I wish I had bought the Hogan's.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:43 am

After the pain of paying wears off, you don't want to stand over the clubs thinking I wish I had bought the Hogan's.
Maybe for you, but I think I could play an entire round with a sling blade and my score wouldn't be noticeably different. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:54 am

Jeff
Maybe for you, but I think I could play an entire round with a sling blade and my score wouldn't be noticeably different.
It didn't really help my game. But would you want to be in the middle Ponchitrane with the weather turning and wonder about your hull?

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Miscellaneous”