Grumman canoe question

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Kimnah32

Grumman canoe question

Post by Kimnah32 »

I have a, I believe 15 foot, Grumman canoe. I know that at least some of their canoes are rated for small hp engines but as I bought it used the plaque with the raitings/specs is long gone. Any idea where I could look it up? It still has the plate with what I believe is the serial number or model number. I think it is a g 15, it is slightly difficult to read the numbers.

galamb

Re: Grumman canoe question

Post by galamb »

Of course the Grumman website is under re-construction :)

I have a 15' Coleman (pointed both ends) with one of those side motor mounts and a 14' Sportspal Wide Transom square stern. Both are rated at 3 horsepower although some 15' canoes we have sold (I'm a vendor of hunting/fishing stuff) have had ratings as high as 5 hp.

I do run a 2.5 horse (sweet 1987 Evinrude 2 stroke twin cylinder that weighs 35 pounds and connects to a remote tank) and you can almost water ski with that on either - and have had both canoes loaded down with two guys, camping/hunting/fishing gear for week long trips.

The parent company for Grumman is Marathon Boat Group - might be able to find a customer service number on google and give them a call.

If I ever had to replace my current motor I would go with a 2 horse which would be "plenty". But if you want the actual rating you will need to get ahold of Marathon.
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

Kimnah32

Post by Kimnah32 »

Thanks for the information. I had gone to the website but still 27 days before it can be useful. I will see if I can find a customer svc number somewhere. I was thinking of going with a three or a four so I just need to know what it can handle, I also need to find a mount for it somewhere.
I am also vaguely sure that in NH anything with an engine has to be registered and I believe I need all the specs and whatnot to do that. I dont really know but that is a question to ask the NH DMV.

Again thanks for the info.

kens

Post by kens »

for a canoe, I think horsepower is mostly irrelevant.
canoe is so small, so light, displacement hull, a electric trolling motor will push it along fine, I doubt a bigger gas engine will get you much more that that of a trolling motor.
will your state allow electric trolling motor? these new modern batteries are quite good, get 2 of 'em and call it a day!!
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Return to “Miscellaneous”