field Boards

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Andy Garrett

field Boards

Post by Andy Garrett »

As I do the mental work relating to re-doing my deck this winter, I have encountered a question.
Since I never installed a traditional planked deck like so many of you have, I am wondering about the geometry. My deck curves fore and aft as well as sheer to sheer, so it seems unlikely that field boards cut to a single uniform width will lay down with an even gap between them along the entire length.

What is the most efficient method here to negotiate this task?
Thanks!
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

PeterG

Re: field Boards

Post by PeterG »

That is exactly right, in that the edges of the field boards will tend to open up in the middle when laying them into place especially against the traditional center king plank. Keep the deck field boards parallel to each other. You can back bevel the edges if needed to keep them tight. You have to work the edges of the king plank to meet the edges of the adjacent field boards. I hope that makes sense? Don Danenberg has the best description for how to do it in his Runabout Restoration book, highly recommended for traditional boat building/restoration methods. My next favorite book behind the Glen L boatbuilding books.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Return to “Miscellaneous”