San Francisco Bay

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

bobinpowayca

San Francisco Bay

Post by bobinpowayca » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:08 pm

Maybe this goes under "Trip Reports" but here goes.
I have a 16foot Geronimo runabout with 90hp motor, a great boat. Lots of fun in San Diego Bay but a little iffy outside the harbor.
I would really love to take my wife and dog and spend a couple days on San Francisco Bay. Ideally we could find a place somewhere on the bay to stay and launch it somewhere. We used to love SF Bay when we lived there 50yrs ago and it would be a dream come true to cruise around on it.
I'm wondering if this is a rational idea, i.e., is it too rough for the boat? (or us?). Have any of you spent time on the bay and could tell me a good place to launch the boat, and stay perhaps?
By the way we had a great time last year at Lake Almanor in northern ca, had a cabin on the lake and our own slip to tie up in, great fishing and beautiful.
Any suggestions for a destination in CA? Thanks, Bob
Attachments
first boat trip
first boat trip
Bob

kens

Re: San Francisco Bay

Post by kens » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:39 pm

I don't know a darn thing about SF bay, but, I do know somewhat about taking smaller-ish boats out into bigger water.
......you pick your days.
....you pick days of calm wind and little chance of afternoon storms.
Is a flat bottomed jon boat suitable to go offshore? heck no, but, have I ever seen it???
yep.
A really calm day I was 20 miles offshore in my Double Eagle, and what do I see??
Some guy in a jon boat, with about 6 or 8 gas cans, and a tiller 20hp motor, smokin' a cigar, fishing over the shipwreck.
Pick your days........
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:21 pm

Hi Bob,
You might call the Berkeley Marina and see what they think (510) 981-6740. They are located on the east shore of the SF Bay. You could launch there and drive across the bay to SF. There is a nice Hotel near the marina and lots of fine restaurants in the area. (Skates on the Bay resturant is excellent) I personally would not feel comfortable in a 16' boat on the SF Bay. I have seen huge ships in the bay.

You might want to consider exploring the Delta instead. It empties into SF Bay so you could test going from calm water into the bay's water.

The ultimate trip would be to Lake Tahoe.

Let me know your plans and I will try to get you more info.

Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:34 am

Hi Bob,
Just spoke to a friend that travels through the Delta to SF Bay each year to stay overnight in SF and catch a ball game. He has a 25'+ cruiser.
He says that the SF bay is doable in a 16' boat, but go out early in the morning when it is calm. He said that the wind comes up in the afternoons and it can get pretty rough.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

bobinpowayca

Post by bobinpowayca » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:54 am

Thanks a lot JIm, I'll lcheck out Berkeley. Yeah lake tahoe would be nice. Thanx Bob
Bob

TAB

Post by TAB » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:14 pm

tomales bay is very nice and just north of sf. as long as you stay in the bay even a small fishing boat is fine. lots of very pretty places see there.

several places to put in as well. good fishing too if you are in to that.

the sf bay can go from perfect to 4x4 in 10 mins. if you have never been in 4x4, you will become religious real quick. I was stationed out of the bay when I was in the uscg.

bobinpowayca

Post by bobinpowayca » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:31 pm

thanks tab,I'll check that out . Please tell me - what do you mean by "4x4"? bob
Bob

TAB

Post by TAB » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:08 pm

4 foot high waves 4 feet apart.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:21 pm

Shit! Mobile Bay can be 5x5 from random directions. Bad out there!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Miscellaneous”