Travels and Adventures of "Curt's Dream" a True Grit design-The Great Loop

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

curtgard

Re: Travels and Adventures of "Curt's Dream" a True Grit design-The Great Loop

Post by curtgard » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:36 pm

The Pensacola Naval airbase is the home base for the Blue Angels. There were older Blue Angels planes hanging from the ceiling in the museum.
IMG_5827.JPG
The actual planes were parked at one of the airfield hangers
Blue Angels planes
Blue Angels planes
IMG_5819.JPG
con't

curtgard

Post by curtgard » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:47 pm

There are other items at the Naval Museum besides planes.
old ambulance
old ambulance
IMG_5809.JPG
Some of the older planes were constructed of wood with the wings covered in fabric over a wood frame.
wooden wing
wooden wing
con't

curtgard

Post by curtgard » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:06 pm

The Pensacola lighthouse is located near the Naval Museum so naturally we had to stop and check it out also.
Pensacola lighthouse
Pensacola lighthouse
There were 177 steps to get to the top of the lighthouse and I finally made it to the top after several rest breaks. I soon realized I am no longer a teenager as I gasped for air at the top.
lighthouse steps
lighthouse steps
The next day we headed to the town of Foley Alabama where we visited the railroad museum in the old depot, a medical museum in an old hospital and the Baldwin County Heritage Museum.
"O" scale model railroad at railroad museum
"O" scale model railroad at railroad museum
con't

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:16 pm

Curt

We'll be down Tuesday afternoon. Will you still be there?

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

curtgard

Post by curtgard » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:26 pm

On the last day we had the rental car, we drove over to Fort Morgan at the mouth of Mobile Bay. This fort was finished in 1834 and was built of brick and mortar mostly with slave labor. It was used up until the end of WWII.
Fort Morgan
Fort Morgan
Fort Morgan
Fort Morgan
Fort Morgan
Fort Morgan
We will stay at the Wharf marina for another week before we head East along the Florida panhandle.

Curt

curtgard

Post by curtgard » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:39 pm

Bill

We will be at the Wharf for about another week so would be glad to meet up for lunch. We don't have the rental car any longer so we would have to bum a ride with you guys.

Curt

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:59 pm

Curt

We want to get together. Let me talk to Lauren about the Pow-Wow at Atmore Thanksgiving Day. Love for you to go with us!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:17 am

Hi Curt,

I'm glad you are enjoying your adventure. We were in Panama City a few years back for a spring vacation, and got over to the Naval Air Museum and got to see the Blue Angels practice. Very nice museum and worth the trip.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

kens

Post by kens » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:49 am

Good to see you back to the loop.
Do you know yet if you going to do the Keys, or the Big Lake across Florida?
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

curtgard

Post by curtgard » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:05 pm

Happy Thanksgiving Day to everyone. We are spending our last day at The Wharf Marina in Orange Beach Alabama today. We plan on leaving tomorrow Nov. 29th for points East. Our schedule will include stops at Pensacola, Fort Walton Beach, Panama City, White City, Apalachicola, and Carrabelle. At Carrabelle, we will jump across the Gulf to Steinhatchee, then to Crystal River and Tarpon Springs. The ICW starts again at Tarpon Springs so we will be in protected waters as we head further South. When we get to the Ft. Myers area, we will stop and decide where to go next. We will wait to decide once we get to Ft Myers if we will head to the Keys or cross over to the East coast of Florida for a trip to the Bahamas.

The Wharf Marina has been a wonderful place to stay for a month but its time to move further South for warmer temps. Its only 70 here today.
tow passing the Wharf Marina
tow passing the Wharf Marina
I had been putting off going on the ferris wheel but Noreen said we had to take a ride before we left.
that sure is tall
that sure is tall
I survived riding the ferris wheel to take a picture of the sunset.
sunset at the Wharf Marina
sunset at the Wharf Marina
Curt

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:40 pm

Curt

Sorry we missed you again. We plan to be at the Wharf Saturday for the Auburn/Alabama game.

In Pensacola you may want to get a cab and eat at McGuire's (our favorite over there.). Broad menu... Corn Beef & Cabbage, Bangers & Mash, Ruebens… Craft beers and much more. With go-boxes you're good for a couple of days.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:04 pm

Great update, FWIW if you plan on crossing the stream to the Bahamas, be mindful that the months Dec. and Jan have the cold fronts that can cause some uncomfortable seas from the north that is not always noticeable close into the shore the further south you go before you make the leap. The northwest winds in the few couple of days of the fronts brings you the NW winds and then turns to the NE against the northerly currents.

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:47 pm

Trip looks great, thank you for sharing. How is your boat, any mechanical issues or things you might do different after living on it for a few months?
Matt B

curtgard

Post by curtgard » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:24 pm

You are definitely right to avoid any winds from the NW, N, NE when crossing the gulf stream. I also want to have a buddy boat along for the crossing.

The boat has operated perfectly and has seen rougher water than I had expected. The only small issue was a wire burnt off at a connector to the water heater. I think I may have forgot to crimp the connector on the wire and therefore it was loose and burnt in too. Took ten minutes to fix with new connector.

What would I do different? Only some very small things.
A windshield washer as we are getting dried salt spray on the windshields but there again if I would avoid windy days, this would not be a problem.
Maybe a depth readout in front of the admirals seat as she likes to know the water depth.
The biggest change would be go with a slightly larger outboard motor. I have an Evinrude Etec 150. This exact motor was available in 150, 175, or 200 hp. I should of gotten the 200 hp. Why? I am alot heavier than expected. Also there has been two times where a little more speed would have been nice to get to my planned stop before Sunset.

Curt

kens

Post by kens » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:05 pm

Curt,
Are you on Active Captain ?
I heard from a master captain it is cool.
It originated on Garmin, but, it can be a smartphone app and work fine.

https://activecaptain.garmin.com/en-US/
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Return to “Miscellaneous”