Travels and Adventures of "Curt's Dream" a True Grit design-The Great Loop

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

curtgard

Re: Travels and Adventures of "Curt's Dream" a True Grit design-The Great Loop

Post by curtgard » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:40 pm

The channel that took us into Tampa Bay passed near the skyline bridge that crosses over the shipping channel into Tampa. This bridge is huge.
IMG_5894.JPG
IMG_5897.JPG
We crossed the bay and headed to a fuel dock just North of Sarasota. The fuel dock on the water also had a convenience store along a major road going to Sarasota so the price of fuel at the dock was the same as the convenience store fuel price. I asked the manager if we could stay at his dock since it was getting late and we could stay at no charge. We left the next morning early to get out of the way of other boats wanting cheap fuel. I had hoped to get to Punta Gorda but the water on Charlotte Harbor was rough so we stopped at Burnt Store marina about 25 miles South of Punta Gorda. The winds for the next week are forecast to be strong so we will be stuck here for at least a week. We did pass the 2000 mile mark since we started the loop going to Charlotte Harbor.

Curt

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:57 pm

Curt

I love it.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

curtgard

Post by curtgard » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:54 pm

I have had some requests for details on how the interior of the boat is set up for such an extended cruise. When I built the boat, the Great Loop trip needs were always on my mind as I finished the interior. So far, its been quite comfortable for two people to live on the boat for months. So far, we have spent 86 nights on the boat living the dream.
berth area
berth area
The berth area has a removable center inset that makes the V berth bed larger. Under the V berth are drawers and along each side are add'l storage space behind doors. There is a LED TV with twin fans and two reading lights.
hanging lockers
hanging lockers
There is two small steps down from the salon level to the berth level. In this area under the windshields are hanging lockers and drawers on each side of the steps. In the port side locker bottom is a large dirty clothes locker while on the starboard side large drawers for jeans are under the hanging locker. To provide standing head room when going into the berth, the top area lifts up. When traveling, this folds down providing a nice flat spot for cruising guides and binoculars.
helm
helm
The helm has a Garmin 7610 xsv chartplotter with a raymarine auto pilot. The 12 volt and 120 volt circuit breaker panels along with shutoffs for the windless and battery switches. Also on left side of chartplotter is the control for the bow thruster. Fuel gauge and the required Evinrude tachometer round out the helm. I also have a NEMA 2000 system connected from the engine that shows fuel and engine information on the chartplotter. For this trip, I added a tablet as a backup that has Navionics navigation.

con't

curtgard

Post by curtgard » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:35 pm

salon looking forward
salon looking forward
Directly behind the captains seat is a full side couch with storage under while aft of the admirals seat is a two seat dinette table. A second LED TV along with drawers under the dinette seats are in this area. Under the captains seat is a refrigerator and under the admirals seat is a freezer. The control panel for the inverter/battery charger combo is located on the gallery counter end. In the ceiling, a 9200 BTU RV type air conditioner with heat keeps the boat temp comfortable. In addition, there is a 1000 watt heater in the steps going to the berth.
salon
salon
On the starboard side above the couch end a microwave and toaster over are bolted to shelves. The oven can be removed and stored under the galley sink and that shelf folds down or a crock pot can be bolted to the shelf. The microwave mount is not designed to be removable.
galley
galley
The galley has a counter top cook top and sink. There is a cabinet over the sink for dishes. Water tank gauge and switches for grey tank pump, composting toilet fan, water pressure pump and cockpit light along with 12 volt and 120 volt outlets are located at the back of the counter top.
con't

curtgard

Post by curtgard » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:46 pm

looking aft
looking aft
There is a curtain that closes off the area aft of the couch that allows us to leave the head door open while dressing or showering.
head
head
The head has a composting toilet and medicine cabinet with hanging hair dryer. There are shelves with rails above the toilet and a fold down shelf over the toilet. The RV type shower completes the head.

Curt

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:42 am

Hi Curt,

Thanks for the interior tour, it looks like a very efficient layout.

Enjoy the warm weather down south.

Merry Christmas!
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

steveh41

Post by steveh41 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:18 am

Curt,

Thanks for the pics... have enjoyed following your travel log. Good looking interior!

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

vinz

Post by vinz » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:24 am

Thanks Curt for the interior shots. Looks, comfortable and well though out. Great space utilization! Gives me some good ideas in the interior re-build for my Coastal Cruiser.

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:44 pm

Nice layout on the interior Curt. I can see the thought that went into it. Looks professional front to back.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

vinz

Post by vinz » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:54 pm

Curt,

I’m about to pick a windlass and anchor. What did you end up installing and how has it served you?

V.

curtgard

Post by curtgard » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:29 pm

I have a Lewmar Pro-fish 700 windless. It has worked perfectly for me but I don't anchor out alot. The anchor is a claw style. It has held me except one time in 35+ mph winds, then I threw out a second anchor and then we stayed put. I do like the way the anchor roller works with the anchor.

Curt

curtgard

Post by curtgard » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:21 pm

High winds on Charlotte Harbor kept us pinned down at Burnt Store marina South of Punta Gorda until the 27th of December. We had plenty of time to explore the area around the marina. I walked to a Dollar General that was 2 miles away for basic groceries and got a ride back to the marina from a local resident driving his golf cart.
walking trail at Burnt Store marina
walking trail at Burnt Store marina
Burnt Store flowering bush
Burnt Store flowering bush
Winds finally died down and we headed for the Edison-Ford marina near downtown Ft Myers. This marina is right next door to the Thomas Edison and Henry Ford winter homes in Ft Myers. We will be staying here for at least two weeks. The next day we walked over to the garden center at the Edison museum where Noreen took a break with Mrs. Edison.
Mrs Edison
Mrs Edison
con't

curtgard

Post by curtgard » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:43 pm

Near the entrance to the museum is a large banyan tree that was planted by Mr Edison in 1925.The tree is huge with the circumference of the aerial roots of 390 feet. The banyan tree is a member of the rubber family and was given to Mr Edison by Harvey Firestone.
banyan tree
banyan tree
We will wait to take a tour of the homes and museum of Edison and Ford until later next week when Ray Macke pays us a visit.The streets in Ft. Myers are lined with all types of palm trees with some being coconut palms.
green coconuts
green coconuts
The city has a free trolley bus that runs from our marina to downtown Ft. Myers, so we hopped on and took a ride for the eight blocks to the center of the downtown to look for lunch at one of the many restaurants.
downtown Ft Myers
downtown Ft Myers
con't

curtgard

Post by curtgard » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:01 pm

We decided to have lunch at a restaurant called The Ford Garage. The food was excellent and the decor matched the name. There was an old ford car hanging from the ceiling and the bathrooms had tires for sinks with gas pump nozzles as water faucets.
decor hanging at Ford Garage restaurant
decor hanging at Ford Garage restaurant
bathroom sinks
bathroom sinks
We walked around downtown going into gift shops and checking out which restaurant we would eat at on our next trip downtown. All this walking on a 80 degree day required a break.
ice cream break
ice cream break
We will get a rental car after the New Year and explore several nearby parks.

Curt

kens

Post by kens » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:38 pm

Those coconuts look like Buko (young coconut).
Buko juice is a very good drink, from the Philippines,
https://www.leaf.tv/articles/how-to-mak ... ilk-drink/
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Return to “Miscellaneous”