Frame kits

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Scotty Dog

Frame kits

Post by Scotty Dog »

Hi. I was wondering when GL stopped making frame kits for the Tiny Might and others? And why? Thanks

Bill Edmundson

Re: Frame kits

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Scotty

The frame kits were made by a guy named Allyn. When he retired they stopped having them. I don't know what the arrangement on the new Zip kits is.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Gayle Brantuk

Re: Frame kits

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

Scotty Dog,

Bill is correct. We stopped building frame kits when Allyn retired in 2006--I can't believe it's been that long! Allyn had worked with us for almost 40 years and he was so valuable to our company. He built the test models and helped my dad develop some of our designs, particularly the stitch and glue ones. He's one of those guys that did everything from fixing toilets to building boats, and office furniture and anything else we needed. Plus, he's an awesome person. But, the frame kit part of our business had been a losing venture for some time, so it didn't make sense to train someone else to do it. It really seems that the majority of folks that tend to be our clients are truly DIY'ers. Some say that they wish we had a kit but when they find out how much it costs to ship it, some figure they could build it for a lot less. So, that's the whole story.

Return to “Miscellaneous”