Head Placement

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Baron

Head Placement

Post by Baron »

Trying to be discrete here.
I'm building a boat soon. I assume that everyone reading this uses a bathroom........seems necessary, I think. The problem is that most boat designers have gigantic reserve capabilities and don't put anytime into incorporating bathrooms into their designs. Furthermore, when confronted, they try to console us by suggesting a porta-potti. I recently asked a reputable designer on the Chesapeake if he could add a bathroom to one of his designs and he answered that it couldn't be done........he added: "build one of my larger models". Well my budget is what it is and a bigger boat is not possible. So where would you build in a head on a 21' cabin Dory?
For the sake of my wife and passengers it is my hope that you'll help me figure this out.

DrBryanJ

Re: Head Placement

Post by DrBryanJ »

Baron, Check out Carl's solution on his build "Building the Vera Cruise." It is a composting toilet I think. Might be on option. Or are you talking full head with running water and grey tank?
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Baron

I have a 24' Double ended dory. Beam is 8'-2". With out board mounted in a well It is about the same as yours, space wise. The cabin is 11'-6" from the bow to the bulkhead. The head is next to the starboard bulkhead and the brown water goes to a holding tank under the sole outside of the cabin. The portside has a bar sink and enough counter space for a double hot plate. I have 6 gal. water heater under the sink. The water tank is under the v-berth.
Gray water goes overboard. I manage to get a little storage too.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Baron

Post by Baron »

Thanks all. I'm pretty much looking for a full head though the sink may serve a dual purpose mounted on the outside. Bill would it be possible to have a picture of the enclosure you used for your head?
Doc, I saw in the videos and True Grit that had a composting toilet and it may be an option. I need to learn more about it. I measured the space it took to seat me and it comes out to 30x30. I was thinking of putting it behind the helm seat with the entry door out on the open deck.

Baron

Post by Baron »

You mentioned Composting Toilet and I looked it up:

https://natureshead.net/photos/

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

I made my own composting toilet using some information I found on the Internet. The main important point with this is to divert the urine away from the solid waste as this does wonders at keeping the smell down. Here is a link to my first of several blog posts about what I did. I elected to have a head box rather than an enclosed head reasoning that here in Austin, I can simply close off the cabin with a curtain when someone needs to use the box as most of the time we will be in the aft cabin under the bimini rather than inside the cabin where the're little breeze.

https://veracruise.blogspot.com/2017/10 ... -work.html
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Baron

Post by Baron »

Hey Carl! Nice photo documentation on your Veracruise build. I was looking at that yesterday. And the head I'm sure looks great for how it looks:-) Unfortunately I am unable to see how it works. Maybe you would be willing to share the site you got it from at some point. Have you put this model through its paces yet?

I looked at 'Natures Head' and it seems like a nicely thought out unit. Especially with the solar fan option.

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Baron,

Thanks for the comment about my documentation. I hope that others can find it useful and this was the main reason I did it.

As regards the head box, there are numerous articles out there about composting toilets, many of them quite detailed and certainly worth reading. The basic idea is a bag lined bucket (or not) with some sort of dry material (typically wood shavings or peat moss) that is used in the solid waste section. A urine diverter is built into the toilet seat to divert the urine to a separate holding container.

By diverting urine from the solid waste, the amount of bacteria that can grow in the toilet is dramatically reduced. The The bacteria is what causes the vast majority of the unpleasant smell. The peat moss helps with this as well and by lining the bucket with a plastic bag, clean up after a boating trip is easy. The urine container is emptied as well.

The final bit is a small fan (solar powered or on the electrical system) vented overboard to remove any residual odors. This is built into the back of my head box (or will be when I finish assembling it).

My head box has three hinged components. The main box cover to hide everything, an inner lid to give access to the compartment where the bucket is stowed. This inner lid also has the opening for the seat. Attached to this inner lid is the third hinged component, the seat. Next to the seat is a small metal container for hold extra peat moss. The urine container will be connected to the piece attached to the front of the bucket via a piece of tubing or something similar ( I haven't made these parts yet, although I know approximately how I am going to do it). There is also a separate small storage compartment to the left.

I added a partition next to the head box to separate it from the berth just forward of it.

Here is the link I found describing the process of making the bucket portion of the composting toilet. And as I mentioned a search on the internet will yield many more links.

http://dennisdonohue.blogspot.com/2013/12/

Finally, my main reason for using this approach is because the commercially available composting toilets are fairly expensive and for my use at least are overkill. My boat is only intended to be a day trip boat with occasional overnight trips if I don't feel like coming in to load her on the trailer. So The toilet is never going to have to get real heavy use as my boat is too small to be a live aboard.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Baron

Post by Baron »

Carl,
It seems ok and it may work well. I'm going to do allot more research before making any decisions on which route to go. I like that there is no plumbing, seacocks and flush valves to maintain. We kept a porta-potti for a number of summers aboard a little sailboat and we kept a lined bucket on another boat. Family members agree that not again will they be so humiliated and so I want to make sure that whatever type of head that I do use that it is not negatively nuanced. When out with the kids (all adults with ski boats) and grand kids I want to be the boat of preference for relief. Though this may be nice and easy I'll have to learn more about it.
My boat has not even been built.
The biggest benefit I see this early in the game is that it is portable and could be used in camper, cabin, tent and boat.
I hate even talking about it but it needs to be right on the next boat.

Baron

Post by Baron »

Bill, With your conventional setup is there much odor and why is the brown tank outside? your set-up is what I had in mind but now I have to think twice after looking at the compost jobbers. I've never used a conventional head. I've heard they are finicky, are they, or are they rather straightforward to use? Do guests have issues using them or are they self explanitary?

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

We haven't used it much. I think most of the odor comes from the tank.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

curtgard

Post by curtgard »

Baron:
I put a composing head in my True Grit and have been 100% happy with the results. We are currently on the Great Loop and use the composing head multiple times a day with NO odors in the boat. The unit is totally self contained and even looks nice. See my separate thread on our Great Loop trip and there are pictures of our head. When we first left home on the trip, I changed the peat moss out after a month and half of use, since then its been nearly three months of use without changing the peat moss and no problems. The liquid tank gets emptied every 4-5 days. In my opinion, on smaller boats, under say 40', a composing head is the only way to go.

It sounds like your usage will be more long weekend type usage, so finding a place to pump out will always be an issue with a holding tank setup. For a fully enclosed head space, a 30 X 40 space would be better.

Curt

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Head Pictures:

Bill
Attachments
101_2259.JPG
101_2258.JPG
101_2257.JPG
101_2256.JPG
Tahoe 19 Build

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

Might want to check out my page.Chugalugs Bo-jest .Page 23.Toilet unit has built-in 9 gallon tank,vent hook-up and water hook-up.Am going with 1-1/2 inch high pressure pvc pipe for pump-out pipe.only elbow is a 45 at the tank. :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Baron

Post by Baron »

Curt the fort reminds me of Fort Pickens Near Pensacola.
So I guess the sloshing does not produce any seepage anywhere. I see Ray Mackie installed one of these on his True Grit in the video section. Realizing that most of us are using Alias's would that by any chance be you?

Bill,
You installed a nice clean conventional system. What are the wires to those little boxes for (not the pumps but other boxes)?

Chug,
Ironically I was just looking at that system this morning and it is nice in that it is self contained as well as it would allow men to do what men like to do.....stand for business; not a good option in the composting type. 9 gallons would get me a long way in between pump-outs for weekend warrior type use (two or three weekends). Not near as long lasting as the compost type but certainly longer than my Thetford Porta-Potti.
IMG_1072[1].jpg
IMG_1072[1].jpg (19 KiB) Viewed 2786 times

Return to “Miscellaneous”