Squirt Model

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

BillW

Squirt Model

Post by BillW »

Several years ago we built a Glen-L Squirt. I thought about making a model of it, but that would require a realistic model outboard motor of the same vintage Mercury as on the Squirt.

Well, I did obtain a scale model 1957 Merc outboard from "Alterscale" (brand name). So, it sort of became necessary to attempt a model Squirt. The motor is 1/8 scale which puts the boat 17" long. The real Squirt is 11 feet, 3 inches. This is only a display model.

So far, detail parts like hardware, are difficult or impossible to find. Like the steering wheel, for example, is wrong. So, the little boat is not complete and will probably stay that way.
DSC03757               Best Side View.JPG
DSC03753            Best Inside.JPG
DSCN7831                best.JPG

JimmY

Re: Squirt Model

Post by JimmY »

Sweet! 8)
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Dumas has some scale parts and an internet search might yield something. I feel your pain as I am building a 1/6th scale Torpedo and may need to hand make many parts.

Good job so far.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Ibrew2be

Post by Ibrew2be »

Bill, regardless of what you do from here, your model looks great! Thanks for sharing with the rest of us.

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched.

Currently building Ken Bassett's Rascal

BillW

Post by BillW »

Thanks, folks.

Barry, I see you are building a Rascal. What motor will it have?
Are you familiar with Peter's Rascal, here in NW Washington? He has made several videos of hitting 60 mph with a vintage I-6 Merc.
It's a 100 hp disguised as an 80. And I believe he has replaced it with a 140 or 150 now. His engine builder has done a couple for us.
Bill

Ibrew2be

Post by Ibrew2be »

Bill,
My plan at this point is to power my boat with a 4-stroke 60 hp Merc. I love the look of the older engines (such as yours), but I am no mechanic and want the reliability, lower noise, and smoke-free operation that come with a modern 4-stroke. I am still in the very early stages of my build, and at the rate things are going, I estimate it will be about 2 years until I'm ready to hang an engine on the back of my boat.

I am familiar with Peter's Rascal. I've watched his videos numerous times, and hope my boat turns out looking as nice as his does.

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched.

Currently building Ken Bassett's Rascal

Return to “Miscellaneous”