Dyes v's stains

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Tony Hain

Dyes v's stains

Post by Tony Hain »

The only part of the boat I have chosen to colour are the cover boards and king board. In my initial research it seems dyes will achieve the best effect I am looking for but my research also says that dyes will fade in sunlight and are really best for interior use. Any advice on which to use?
Tony Hain
"Never under-estimate the bounds of human stupidity" (Robert Heinlein)
and on a more optimistic note "nor the capacity for human brilliance"

JimmY

Re: Dyes v's stains

Post by JimmY »

Look into Behlen's Solar Lux dyes. They are designed to stand up to the sun and UV. I used them on the deck of my Squirt and they are holding up well after 3 years and the grain really pops with dyes.

Their medium red mahogany was a bit too red for me, and I used nutmeg brown and American Walnut to tone it down.

It mixes with a retarder and denatured alcohol, and does not raise the grain. So, you can apply, let it dry, and go right to encapsulation.

I highly recommend doing some sample boards and encapsulating and finishing them since the color does change a bit under a glossy finish.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Tony Hain

Re: Dyes v's stains

Post by Tony Hain »

Thanks Jimmy,
I'll look into Behlen's. Hopefully there is a supplier in Australia or no hassle with posting as I have read there is an issue with shipping some dyes.
Tony Hain
"Never under-estimate the bounds of human stupidity" (Robert Heinlein)
and on a more optimistic note "nor the capacity for human brilliance"

Return to “Miscellaneous”