SO, ya won'na build a model first?

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

John Bowen

SO, ya won'na build a model first?

Post by John Bowen » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:08 am

Sailing around the net today, I come across this........

http://www.bismarck-class.dk/shipmodels ... terra.html

:roll:
One day.

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:50 am

Now that is cool !! I would love to build something like that for my pond. Wonder if there are any plans of US ships available like that ??

I have heard that the only problem with scaling down a US navy destroyer is that it would end up being way narrow in the beam to keep the sucker afloat...maybe I can make a long fat one !1

Steve

FDMSIV

Post by FDMSIV » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:40 pm

That is what I would call a Pocket Cruiser!

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:29 am

Just when you know he'd really be starting to enjoy it, a squadron of Fairy Swordfish models would come in and torpedo it. :lol:
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Nova SS

Post by Nova SS » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:53 am

leakcheck wrote:I have heard that the only problem with scaling down a US navy destroyer is that it would end up being way narrow in the beam to keep the sucker afloat...maybe I can make a long fat one !1

Steve
what is the problem...do they become top heavy and capsize? Wouldnt some ballest in the bilge of the model stop that from happening?

Or do they not have enough flotation? Possibly the addition of some flotation foam in the bildge would again stop that situation...

Barry

Post by Barry » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:44 pm

Flotation only has value when the boat starts to fill with water.
With a sealed 12" cube, the cube might have an inch draft. Crammed full of foam or feathers, the draft might be an 1 1/2". In the case of the cube, flotation only has value if the skin of the cube is breached.
Until water starts to fill the boat, flotation is actually a disadvantage as it increases hull weight.

gregggrundon

flotation

Post by gregggrundon » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:40 am

Ya gotta love Barry, Say didn't the English sink the Graff Spee? Don't know that I'd want do ride around in that thing, could be some veteran who want to do a reenactment, or two.

Gregg
Jolly Roger 30'(Extended)
Marshall Islands, R. M. I.

PapaDon

Post by PapaDon » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:40 am

English sink it? Not exactly. (Oh, I love naval history) http://www.grafspee.com/langs4_theescape.html
If God had intended for us to have fibreglass boats, we would have fibreglass trees.

FDMSIV

Post by FDMSIV » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:06 am

The article fails to mention that the Graf Spee was sent packing up river by 2 smaller British Cruisers. The English captains were very much in a David vs. Goliath match, and were able to pull it off.

Return to “Miscellaneous”