Lessons learned

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Brian Eager

Lessons learned

Post by Brian Eager »

I'd like to tell a short story that taught a valuable lesson to me, I hope it helps.

I live in a region of Indiana that has an assortment of natural and man-made lakes, and one of the first places I took the Bass Boat to was one of these man-made lakes. I was not familiar with this lake, and Dad and I were hot to try some new fishing water.

We launched from the public access, and motored out into a narrow bay that led to the main area of the lake. I noticed that on either side of this bay was a sign about 30 feet out from the shoreline, but was not close enough to read either one. I simply put her nose into the open water between them and began opening the throttle. Being new to the lake, I was trying to keep an open eye on what was in front.

So imagine my surprise when, approaching the line that would connect the two signs, I suddenly realized that there was, just barely submerged, an abandoned railroad grading, the ballast still very much in evidence, and about 4 inches under the surface. I pulled the throttle down, shifted to reverse and reopened the power, hoping to stop before I ran aground.

This succeeded to the point that when we actually hit the rocks, we were extremely slow, nose down, and engine pulling in reverse pretty good.

We backed off, and I crawled over the nose to inspect the damage. Only one small impact point, no bigger than a quarter, and when resting at idle, slightly above the waterline. So we went to the sign one one side of the bay, which marked the dredged channel between it and the shore and continued on the fishing expedition. We did ship a little water the rest of the day but the bilge pump was easily able to clear it in a few seconds.

In the next few days we repaired the damage ( wouldn't you know the spot we touched the rocks would be on a void in the plywood's center core) and fished many uneventful times afterward.

Hope this will help someone, Brian

Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight »

What ply did you use that it had a void in the core, presumably not marine ply?
Graham in Shepperton, England

Good, Quick, Cheap, pick any two.

Brian Eager

Post by Brian Eager »

Graham, this project was built in 1975-76, so it's a little tough to recall, but I believe we used exterior grade, ABX. This was in the times when Resorcinol was the glue of choice, and the interior of the hull was not encapsulated, but treated with an anti-decay material: Penta-something or other.

The boat is used almost exclusively for day trips, and is hardly ever in the water longer than 12 hours at a time.

All in all, it's an excellent craft, well suited for it's purpose.

Brian

Return to “Miscellaneous”