I was "THIS" close

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

leakcheck

I was "THIS" close

Post by leakcheck » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:41 pm

So my wife and daughter and I are in Lowes tonight and my daughter says: Dad what does that bandsaw thing you want look like. I kind of sauntered over to the tool section and I said: It looks something like that little Delta one, but this is kind of a toy version. the one that I NEED is an 18 inch one.

My wife says: what is it that you need that for again?

I told her that I could build some furniture, cabinets, re-do the kitchen, build Ryan that Humidor he wants (and one for his friend...cuz he told him that is what he was going to give him for Christmas) ..

My Wife Persists: But what does the saw do?

I said it makes beautiful thick INEXPENSIVE wood into thinner wicked expensive wood, like for kitchen cabinets and furniture.

My wife: so would you use it to build a boat..

Hmmmm, I really have to think about that...you know..there might be something I could use it for but it is really more suited for furniture and KITCHEN CABINETS !!

SO, whatdayathink? SHould I put one of those 18inch ones on order tomorrow?

My Wife: Nope.

Me: Nope? ummmmm Why?

My wife: Just: NOPE

Better luck next time !!

For just a minute I thought I had her !

Steve :cry: :cry:

Nova SS

Post by Nova SS » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:46 pm

its easier to ask for forgivness later then it is to get permission before hand so with that said get yourself the bandsaw and then just make sure you use it BEFORE you show it to her cause that will make it all the harder to return :wink:

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:33 pm

Sometime back I got into the habit of answering Miss Connie's questions with questions of my own? Maybe this is a Ferengi rule of aquisition or something: "He who asks the questions, controls the conversation." I dunno but it works well for me as long as no one actually points out to Miss Connie just exactly what it is I'm doing. So here's maybe how I would have handled this:
leakcheck wrote:My Wife Persists: But what does the saw do?
"What wood project would you like me to do with it? What could I build for you that would make you REALLY happy?"
leakcheck wrote:My wife: so would you use it to build a boat..
"Is that wrong?"Now there are exceptions to the above rule. The following quote is a question that should NEVER have been asked:
leakcheck wrote:SO, whatdayathink? SHould I put one of those 18inch ones on order tomorrow?
You see, when you asked THIS question, you gave her the authority to say "NOPE." If you hadn't asked, she wouldn't have said no. So it's like Novass said. It's easier to get forgiveness than permission.

However on the other hand, MAYBE she's getting the thing for an anniversary gift or something. You never know...........
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:25 am

Well, when we got home she showed me this brochure to go to the American Quilters Society "gathering" in Paducah KY at the Expo Center for four days..how can you possibly spend four freaking days looking at quilts..are they boat quilts ???

But I see where this is going...It is a little tit for tat..and I ain't getting neither if I don't go quilting ! But it will easily be twice the cost of the bandsaw !

Life is not fair, women ALWAYS win ! ALWAYS !

Steve

Nova SS

Post by Nova SS » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:46 am

leakcheck wrote:Life is not fair, women ALWAYS win ! ALWAYS !

Steve
Thats cause its all in the Gene's. Women have what we want and its in their Jeans :wink: :lol:

basilkies

Post by basilkies » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:59 pm

Try a different approach. What I do is find a project my wife wants done, a repair job, new cabinets or whatever you can come up with. You start the project and in he middle of it you go buy the band saw. When she sees it you saw you needed it to finish the project.

The real beauty of this approach is my may not even need it for the project, but what does she know! Just be sure to let her see you using it on something she thinks is part of the job.

That's how I scored over half my big purchase tool items and sometimes I even need them for the project!

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:49 pm

What a bunch of wussies...just go buy the tools.That's what I did with my 3 ex-wifes& 4 ex-girlfriends!!!!! :roll: :shock: :wink:

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:52 pm

Okay Novass...you HAVE been hangin around me TOO LONG !!!

lol....okay..that was for the boys only !

Steve

Nova SS

Post by Nova SS » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:11 pm

upspirate wrote:What a bunch of wussies...just go buy the tools.That's what I did with my 3 ex-wifes& 4 ex-girlfriends!!!!! :roll: :shock: :wink:
For me 2 ex wives and more G/f's then I care to count..possibly this tactic has a few risks involved :roll: :lol:

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:12 pm

sometimes it has been a little unpleasant!!! :roll:

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:13 pm

At least Debbie understands my boat & car fixation

Nova SS

Post by Nova SS » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:14 pm

upspirate wrote:At least Debbie understands my boat & car fixation
Is Debbie the name of your car or your boat? :lol: :lol:

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:42 pm

Yeah, and my wife really doesn't like my girlfriends so I still have to ask permission before I do anything !

Steve

kens

Post by kens » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:43 pm

Steve:
If you not gonna build the boat you want too, then you may as well not get the tools either.

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:08 pm

Oh Kens, that hurt !!!! :cry: ...I already have 150 dollars toward the bandsaw plus another 500 in mystery money..which means that the bandsaw is already under 500 dollars !! Doesnt mean I will ever build a boat, cuz I will probably be building staircases and kitchen cabinets and I have never even built a raised panel...well... gotta start somewhere

Steve

Return to “Miscellaneous”