School

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

kyozoku

School

Post by kyozoku » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:48 pm

Well, it's been a while. How have you all been. I never did get my projects started but I'm still hoping to do some down the line.

I am trying to find a boat design and building school in my area. I'm not really feeling my job anymore and can't see my way forward. I've discovered bit by bit that the water and the vessels that cross her are my passion and obsession. I have no idea how I'm going to switch tracks but I know the first place is to learn.

I know I could teach myself boat building, so I'm guessing design is what I need to be looking for but I've had no luck finding anything in my neck of Virginia (really weird because I live in the home of the Guinea watermen).

Has anyone got some insight on this? I'm really interested in various styles of boat from the barges of the British canals to the deadrises of the chesapeake bay. I really want to explore different styles and functions.
USCG Auxiliary | Flotilla Gloucester Point, VA

Boating Safety Instructor
Flotilla Staff Officer

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:22 am

How close are you to Cape Fear & Wilmington?

There is a great instructor at the Cape Fear Community College teaching wooden boat building...Ed Verge

kyozoku

Post by kyozoku » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:40 am

About 5 hours out unfortunately. I'll keep the school and the name in mind though, thanks.

Flotilla Staff Officer

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:39 pm

If there are no schools within an easy distance, what will you do?

The reason I ask is because when I first started learning Spanish, there was nothing available here except the normal adult education stuff for one night a week. And those courses were basically for tourists. I was wanting to become totally fluent so I basically had to buy books and tapes and teach myself.

It seems to me that I remember seeing one of Burt Rutan's crew members on this recent space shot that they did where the guy had never had any official training. But he was such a nut on the subject of space flight that he taught himself to the point that he qualified to join the Rutan team.

What I'm saying is this. If you can't find a school, you CAN do it yourself. Your enthusiasm will see you through.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

FDMSIV

Post by FDMSIV » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:04 pm

It all comes down to the level of education you are looking for.

For all aspects of boat design:
University of New Orleans
University of Michigan
Webb Institute
All of these schools offer Naval Architect/Marine Engineering Degrees

There are also quite a few smaller schools/programs that are listed in boat magazines like Wooden Boat. Last issue there must have been 10 or 12 of these.

Finally, have a look at the Santa Lucia Open 17' thread in the Power Boat section. This should give you insight into what can be accomplished with no formal boat design experience.

kyozoku

Post by kyozoku » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:17 pm

Dave Grason wrote:If there are no schools within an easy distance, what will you do?

The reason I ask is because when I first started learning Spanish, there was nothing available here except the normal adult education stuff for one night a week. And those courses were basically for tourists. I was wanting to become totally fluent so I basically had to buy books and tapes and teach myself.

It seems to me that I remember seeing one of Burt Rutan's crew members on this recent space shot that they did where the guy had never had any official training. But he was such a nut on the subject of space flight that he taught himself to the point that he qualified to join the Rutan team.

What I'm saying is this. If you can't find a school, you CAN do it yourself. Your enthusiasm will see you through.
Dave you are right, and I should know that because that was basically what happened with my education now, I went through college, but by the end of it the only reason I finished was to get the piece of paper that people are fond of hiring... I taught myself all the high level stuff. Seeing as I have no problem hiring myself and giving myself a good wage without a degree, I can see where I'd get by without.
Finally, have a look at the Santa Lucia Open 17' thread in the Power Boat section. This should give you insight into what can be accomplished with no formal boat design experience.
Thanks, I will do that.

Flotilla Staff Officer

Dave Grason

Re: School

Post by Dave Grason » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:09 pm

kyozoku wrote: I've discovered bit by bit that the water and the vessels that cross her are my passion and obsession. I have no idea how I'm going to switch tracks but I know the first place is to learn..
I cannot count the number of times I have had this very same feeling.
kyozoku wrote:...I taught myself all the high level stuff. Seeing as I have no problem hiring myself and giving myself a good wage without a degree, I can see where I'd get by without.
This is the reason I've been self-employed my entire adult life. No one would ever give me the wage that I needed just for basic necessities. But I've always said that being self-employed is the ultimate merit pay. You earn what you're worth.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:10 pm

Wait a minute here...I don't earn half what I am worth...I earn about five times more than I am worth !! :twisted: :twisted:

Just jokin: I don't earn nearly as much as I am worth...but I have this fault where I hate to charge people what I am really worth... One Day

Steve

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:00 pm

leakcheck wrote: I don't earn nearly as much as I am worth...
All kidding aside, you most likely STILL earn more than anyone else would pay to work for them. That has always been the burr in my saddle as far as looking for a "job." Wages are incredibly insulting these days and the only way to get away from that trap is to be self employed. But, I digress. Even that often times is just trading one set of problems for another set of problems. :roll:

kyozoku

Post by kyozoku » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:50 pm

So does anyone know of some good resources for Naval Architecture and its assorted facets?

I'd like to take a stab at building a modified version of a Coast Guard "Defender" class. My version would be made of wood and would use one or two jets rather than the Hondas.

I want to be able to get past just mimicking the features though, I want to know things like why the strakes are positioned the way they are and how the fins down the side create section in turns. That way I can learn to make improvements and perhaps even innovate.

Of course now I realise they have patented the foam collar idea. There goes that plan :?

Flotilla Staff Officer

Gary McCusker

Post by Gary McCusker » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:19 am

Do not know of any rubber boat plans or plans to mount 50 CAL. gun mount. You might want to look at building a "Garvey style" boat first to get a feel for the procedures and techniquies of building a wood boat. McCusker

Return to “Miscellaneous”