Biography ?

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Mr Hot Rod

Post by Mr Hot Rod »

You tell him, Kens ! I guess us 'old guys' are entitled to longer posts 8)

At a young age (cough ... cough ...), I used to help my Dad with the many cottages he used to build and flip. As we moved from lake to lake, there seemed to be a limitless supply of broken outboards to be tinkered with. The tinkering progressed for many years (British sport cars, trucks, snowmobiles) until we built a house with a large attached garage. Project vehicles (some mine, mostly friend's) were steadily streaming out the door until one day, between projects, I got the urge to do something 'different'. As a teen, I remembered the fun we had water skiing behind a Glen-L HOT ROD at the family cottage. It was built by one of the locals who powered it with a stout 427 cubic inch big block. The 'adults' were comfortably seated up front, while 'the kids' were relegated to sitting on the sole on either side of the engine. We were instructed to hang onto the carlings and block our ears. I can still hear the distinctive v-drive whine and big block drone several decades later. Those sounds are going to come back to life when we launch this summer ! I'll be sitting in the front seat this time around . . .

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.boats.chelseacoachworks.com

kens

Post by kens »

Mr Hot Rod wrote: I can still hear the distinctive v-drive whine and big block drone several decades later.
It was the Yachts built by the neighbor that bit me. Seemed that every shakedown cruise was a party boat with all the neighbors, and my Dad was the riding mechanic.
He built a 'small' one, at 40', with pair of 440 Chryslers. Dad took me down in the bilge for a WOT run looking around. What a rush. The sound of 2 big V8's syncing up to become one, Wide-open on the engine beds, seeing the belts/pulleys going 'round, see the couplings sending power down the shafts, the howl of the 4bbl carbs. The whine, the heat, and the sensation, like you could 'feel' the horsepower.

You're right Paul; it bit me too, and I can still hear it.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

WINDY :!:

Look who has the second highest number of post!

Part 2:

At 11, 12 & 13 I built Soap Box Derby cars. Guess what, it's a lot like building a boat (open frames with plywood planking). All I had was a jig saw, a drill and a vibrating sander. But, wow! building with real ball bearing wheels! and having brakes.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck »

(Hey Bill...mine are all 'one-liners' ! :lol:

Steve :roll:

kens

Post by kens »

Bill Edmundson wrote:WINDY :!:

Look who has the second highest number of post

Bill
and NO boat!...............

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

(Hey Bill...mine are all 'one-liners' !
We just wish some of them were good!

Bill :)
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Soloboat

Post by Soloboat »

When I was 11 years old I joined the sea scouts so I could have access to the boats alas there wern't any boats. I carved a 12 inch from a block of pine just using pictures in magazines it turned out pretty. I grew up in Jamaica always had a love of boats never could afford one until now.
) Champagne dreams and wishes are possible on a beer budget. Just build the boat.
Nice curves are easy on the eyes.
Go sell crazy somewhere else we're all stocked up here."As Good As It Gets" Jack Nicholson.

John B

Glen-L Boatbuilder Interviews?

Post by John B »

I'm thinking of adding a section to the Glen-L website for posting video interviews of our builders . . .

What questions would you like to see addressed in these interviews?

Here are some potential questions that I've come up with, so far:

1. What made you decide to choose a Glen-L design?
2. How has/have your family/friends reacted/helped/enjoyed the building process (and the completed boat, if finished)?
3. Did you require any help? If so, where did you find it?
4. Describe your feelings about the process, from selecting your design through the building process to completion.
5. How did you get interested in building your own boat?

I hope you'll all give us a little input so that we can provide you with somthing you'll find both interesting and informative.

Thanks!

kens

Post by kens »

I think that is a Great Idea!!
You could pose those same 5 questions to a different builder each month.
Each article would be interesting, informative, and not too lengthly. about right length for a webletter article.
Good idea.

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Mr Hot Rod wrote:You tell him, Kens ! I guess us 'old guys' are entitled to longer posts 8)

At a young age (cough ... cough ...), I used to help my Dad with the many cottages he used to build and flip. As we moved from lake to lake, there seemed to be a limitless supply of broken outboards to be tinkered with. The tinkering progressed for many years (British sport cars, trucks, snowmobiles) until we built a house with a large attached garage. Project vehicles (some mine, mostly friend's) were steadily streaming out the door until one day, between projects, I got the urge to do something 'different'. As a teen, I remembered the fun we had water skiing behind a Glen-L HOT ROD at the family cottage. It was built by one of the locals who powered it with a stout 427 cubic inch big block. The 'adults' were comfortably seated up front, while 'the kids' were relegated to sitting on the sole on either side of the engine. We were instructed to hang onto the carlings and block our ears. I can still hear the distinctive v-drive whine and big block drone several decades later. Those sounds are going to come back to life when we launch this summer ! I'll be sitting in the front seat this time around . . .

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.boats.chelseacoachworks.com

Once that V-drive whine vibrates your bones & ears,you can never get rid of that feeling you get when you hear another!!! :D

Looking forward to hearing & feeling that again this fall at Guntersville.

gregggrundon

Things missed

Post by gregggrundon »

It always seems to me once you've had one, a boat becomes a part of who you are.
I helped my Pop with the "Banana Patch fiberglass commercial fishing boat. When we kids (Now, old men) grew up with in the 70's.
Not having a boat is like not having a car, or a home, or a wife if you're used to having one. Life doesn't feel right with out it. you're left like a amputee with an itch you can't scratch.
I got my Jolly Roger third hand. The guy who originally built the hull, had previously built the Double Eagle (I love that boat) But, sadly can't afford it, so I bought the next best thing. And I've been very glad I did. When this summer or so, I finally get her in the water; I'll be one very satisfied customer.
I think, Glen L. is a wonderful "Idea". I'm so very glad you're out there.

Aloha,

Gregg
Jolly Roger 30'(Extended)
Marshall Islands, R. M. I.

Caber-Feidh

Post by Caber-Feidh »

kens wrote:
Bill Edmundson wrote:WINDY :!:

Look who has the second highest number of post

Bill
and NO boat!...............
But he is getting shower-loofah lessons!
That should scare us, shouldn't it?

What's next? a pastel pink shirt, and some white loafers? :wink:

raymacke

Post by raymacke »

I like Kens idea!

John could ask that anyone interested in contributing submit his/her name and each month pick one at random. That person could then put their replies together and submit it for the webletter. It would be an interesting read.

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck »

Great idea Ray...or Kens

Loofa ??? I prefer to call it "plastic steel wool"...(its more manly). Accept I feel rather effeminate when I use it !

Steve

Caber-Feidh

Post by Caber-Feidh »

leakcheck wrote:Great idea Ray...or Kens

Loofa ??? I prefer to call it "plastic steel wool"...(its more manly). Accept I feel rather effeminate when I use it !

Steve
Trying to tell us you are "well polished"?

Return to “Miscellaneous”