Windshield brackets

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

John K

Windshield brackets

Post by John K »

Here is my version of a windshield bracket made from wood:

And here they are mounted on the boat. I had a scrap piece of plexiglass, so I made one side to see how they looked:

What do you think? Is the windshield too high? Looking for comments.

Thanks to Bill Edmundson for some angles and dimensions. Then adjusted to my boat.

:?:

Drew

Post by Drew »

I think it looks great! Maybe post some pictures from different angles to see it better. But yeah, i think that looks perfect

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

John,

They look great.

It might be the camera angle. But, the outboard bracket is usually vertical or tilts inward.

I set my glass 3" taller than the brackets and it still seems low. But, it looks great.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

John K

Post by John K »

It might be the camera angle. But, the outboard bracket is usually vertical or tilts inward.
Bill - I am going to work on that. May have to set the bracket in epoxy or something. Thought I had the angle right when I fab them.

A friend is making stainless covers to hold the glass in place. I did not make a groove in the wood as it might split the wood. Tried to get as much bulk out of the wood as I could.

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck »

John,

Looking at the brackets on the floor they look too "chunky".

BUT, looking at the brackets on the boat they look perfect. Funny how the surroundings make them change.

I think what I would do before you order any glass if wait for some more input from Bill Edmunson. Once he has completed his sea trials he will be able to give you some feedback on his current windshied height and wether he feels it is too high/low for him. (Obviously you wil have to take into account personal height limitations: Bill Edmunson is about 4ft 9in tall..the Lola is taller !!...not that that is a bad thing !...he makes up for it in other ways)

Steve

John K

Post by John K »

I finally got all the parts and installed the windshield. Here are the results:

Thanks for the feedback from Bill, Leakcheck, and boat-bill-der. It help making the windshield look great.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

John,

Nice Job!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Oyster

Post by Oyster »

Pretty sporty looking. But I would be carefull with someone grabbing the pieces as I take it that they are wood??

John K

Post by John K »

Thanks Bill and Oyster.

Yes, they are wood. The joints are pinned with dowel, but would not take someone yanking on them. I did bolt thru the bottom joint of the side brackets to also make them stronger.

billy c

Post by billy c »

hi John-
i think you really pulled off the look with the wood brackets! Oyster's thought about the breakage made me think of "Marumari" not sure of the spelling but the custom boat he was building had bow rails made of a stainleess core with a wooden outer layer. this might work on that 45 degree strut and make it still slender but much stronger.
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

John K

Post by John K »

I tugged on the sides again yesterday and they are fairly strong. The only people using the boat are myself and a friend, so I do not see a problem. If you were going to use the boat to ski or have 4 people, then I would look at something else.

I may look for Marumari, just to see what could be done.

Thanks for the feedback

Return to “Miscellaneous”